Topic Wiki

Since October 12, 2015, the prepaid REDcard (Redbird) can only be loaded at Target with cash. It can still be loaded online with a bank-issued debit card, up to $200/day and $1K/month.

Therefore, for MS (manufactured spending) Redbird is now considered dead. RIP!

Author Topic: The Target Prepaid REDcard  (Read 1918903 times)

Offline hvaces42

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
Re: The Target Prepaid REDcard
« Reply #2480 on: December 27, 2014, 10:36:28 PM »
I was in target in la on friday. I didn't see any redcards on the shelf but there were signs saying to sign up for the card. So.. I did. Not sure if It was the right thing or not. My temp card is a receipt. They said I'm gonna get a permanent one in the mail. Anyone have any experience with this? Is this the same thing?
thats the credit card this is a prepaid card. They dont sell these in CA
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline Mech

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC, National EE, United Silver, SkyTeam Silver
« Reply #2481 on: December 27, 2014, 10:38:33 PM »

thats the credit card this is a prepaid card. They dont sell these in CA
Basically it's pointless. Thanx

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #2482 on: December 27, 2014, 10:38:58 PM »
I was in target in la on friday. I didn't see any redcards on the shelf but there were signs saying to sign up for the card. So.. I did. Not sure if It was the right thing or not. My temp card is a receipt. They said I'm gonna get a permanent one in the mail. Anyone have any experience with this? Is this the same thing?
Target offers different products. How are you supposed to put $500 on a receipt ?

Offline LT620

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2483 on: December 27, 2014, 10:42:03 PM »
Basically it's pointless. Thanx

To my knowledge they actually have 3 cards branded as a "REDcard". A debit card, a credit card, and the prepaid amex card (which this thread discusses). Only the prepaid should have the amex logo.

Offline Mech

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC, National EE, United Silver, SkyTeam Silver
« Reply #2484 on: December 27, 2014, 11:38:30 PM »

Target offers different products. How are you supposed to put $500 on a receipt ?
There is a bar code on it that connects to the account

Offline tzifanya54

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2485 on: December 28, 2014, 12:01:21 AM »
if I buy an activated red card from someone.... will the permanent card have a different number? if they have the temp card info, will they have any way of accessing the permanent  acct?

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #2486 on: December 28, 2014, 12:05:14 AM »
if I buy an activated red card from someone.... will the permanent card have a different number? if they have the temp card info, will they have any way of accessing the permanent  acct?
It absolutely has a different number and when u register the activated card you set up a password and security question. Ive sold activated cards that havent been registered yet. No security issues.
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline tzifanya54

• View Profile
« Reply #2487 on: December 28, 2014, 12:08:48 AM »
It absolutely has a different number and when u register the activated card you set up a password and security question. Ive sold activated cards that havent been registered yet. No security issues.
thanks, my other issue is that there is no telling if/when target will decide not to allow reloads at stores that don't sell the card.....

Offline ShlockDoc

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #2488 on: December 28, 2014, 12:11:32 AM »
thanks, my other issue is that there is no telling if/when target will decide not to allow reloads at stores that don't sell the card.....

Reasonable to be nervous. They have clearly cracked down on relocated activations.

Offline Eff_Doubleau

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2489 on: December 28, 2014, 12:12:12 AM »
Can someone guide me - how do I transfer funds to my bank account? I've tried emailing money to myself, but it comes up through serve... anyone familiar with this?

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #2490 on: December 28, 2014, 12:15:10 AM »
Can someone guide me - how do I transfer funds to my bank account? I've tried emailing money to myself, but it comes up through serve... anyone familiar with this?
Go to settings, withdraw funds, set up your bank account and transfer funds.

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #2491 on: December 28, 2014, 12:18:02 AM »
Reasonable to be nervous. They have clearly cracked down on relocated activations.
We shall see what happens after 1/1. Hope I dont have to travel for 3 hours to load. Lately the local Target CSRs have become quite unhelpful. Last load was limited to one time 1k load. May have to change it up a bit.

Offline Eff_Doubleau

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2492 on: December 28, 2014, 12:24:05 AM »
Go to settings, withdraw funds, set up your bank account and transfer funds.

Thank you for the prompt response.

Offline 12HRS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2493 on: December 28, 2014, 01:06:52 AM »

beg to disagree. no reasonable logic that if I bought and activated my card properly, I shouldn't be able to use it anywhere in the US. this activating in other stores business seriously throws off inventory management.

Offline Dr Moose

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2494 on: December 28, 2014, 01:08:58 AM »
even the stores that have had issues activating the RC, you're able to load them there without issues
Hey there! I am using DansDeals Forums.

Offline AnonymousUser

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2495 on: December 28, 2014, 01:16:20 AM »
i'm just trying to wrap my head around how one would take something that is marked $5 out of a store and say "oh, I'll pay for it when i activate it elsewhere". If any item has a price marked on it, why would it even dawn on me to take it without paying? Can i take anything else out of the store thats marked with a price and say I'll pay for it elsewhere? It just doesnt make sense. The card costs $5, not the activation. Try to take a chocolate bar right under the RedCard display and see if they let you pay for it when you activate it. 
I never heard of activating a chocolate bar. A redcard is worthless without activating. There is no way to be able to use it without activating it and paying the fee. It doesn't matter which location you do it in, Target will get their $5.
Of course it's the activation which costs $5. Why on earth would they sell a worthless piece of paper and plastic for $5?
Can you take an Amex GC, MC or VGC without activating it?
I personally wouldn't without asking. I have asked employees about taking redcards (albeit free ones) to activate elsewhere, and I have been given permission.
However, technically, there isn't much of a difference. GCs are also worthless until activated. The only difference might be that since those are more generic and can be activated in a different chain, the chain you took it from could lose the activation fee.
Can you take VRs without activating them? I know many people have. There was a discussion about it here back in the day, and IIRC the consensus from most people was that the only reason it's wrong is since there's a limited number of cards, you're causing the next guy to lose out. That's not really relevant here.

Offline zh cohen

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2496 on: December 28, 2014, 01:45:38 AM »
I think people are fooling themselves when they "ask permission" from the (minimum wage) cashiers. Target isn't a mom and pop store where the person behind the counter can give permission for these things.

For those that will say that management doesn't mind I bring the fact that they are stopping people from registering the cards outside of the pilot area from registering the cards as exhibit one.

Offline tzifanya54

• View Profile
« Reply #2497 on: December 28, 2014, 08:46:49 AM »
I think people are fooling themselves when they "ask permission" from the (minimum wage) cashiers. Target isn't a mom and pop store where the person behind the counter can give permission for these things.

For those that will say that management doesn't mind I bring the fact that they are stopping people from registering the cards outside of the pilot area from registering the cards as exhibit one.
+1
Which is exactly why I have reason to believe that they are cracking down slowly on any activity outside of the area where they are sold. Nowhere do they guarantee ability to load at any target, so even if it's available this week it may not be available next week. The higher ups are obviously seeing what's going on....

Offline schneury

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2498 on: December 28, 2014, 10:20:53 AM »
when i try to add a payee i could add chase and citi but when i try amex or american express nothing comes up, anyone know how to add amex so i could pay my cc without transferring to my bank acc?

Offline ckmk47

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2499 on: December 28, 2014, 10:27:25 AM »
when i try to add a payee i could add chase and citi but when i try amex or american express nothing comes up, anyone know how to add amex so i could pay my cc without transferring to my bank acc?
After they don't recognize the payee, they offer for you to add the payee anyway.  So then your fill in the entire address of the biller. Copy from your bill.
My favorite cause: cssy.org