Topic Wiki

Since October 12, 2015, the prepaid REDcard (Redbird) can only be loaded at Target with cash. It can still be loaded online with a bank-issued debit card, up to $200/day and $1K/month.

Therefore, for MS (manufactured spending) Redbird is now considered dead. RIP!

Author Topic: The Target Prepaid REDcard  (Read 1919069 times)

Offline E-MAN

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: The Target Prepaid REDcard
« Reply #2680 on: December 31, 2014, 12:03:41 PM »

Offline noturbizniss

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2681 on: December 31, 2014, 12:52:35 PM »
Many targets make up rule that only cs can do it, not register
READ THE DARN WIKI!!!!

Chuck Norris...
...can still do FT method
...READS THE WIKI!!!

Offline CS1

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • California Gourmet Premium Chocolate
  • Programs: DDSLA, DDSCLE, Bonvoy Titanium Feb 2025
« Reply #2682 on: December 31, 2014, 12:54:40 PM »

where? In RC states or in "other" states?  (We're in an RC state and each cashier knows exactly what to do...)
California Gourmet Belgian Nut-Free Chocolate Chips https://bit.ly/CaliforniaGourmetDirect

Offline AnonymousUser

• View Profile
« Reply #2683 on: December 31, 2014, 12:56:40 PM »
incorrect, 1500 and 3500 on perm card.
Based on my experience, need to get an already activated card and then register it in your social, if don't have serve or bb and then AFAIK can put 1500 on temp card and then when perm card arrives can activate perm card can put another 3500.
Is all this confusion on this thread going on because people are getting unactivated cards and trying to activate them in states where they aren't sold?
You can load $500 when activating, then $1000 on the temporary card after registering, then another $4000 on the permanent card.

Offline noturbizniss

• View Profile
« Reply #2684 on: December 31, 2014, 12:57:34 PM »
where? In RC states or in "other" states?  (We're in an RC state and each cashier knows exactly what to do...)
In NY ime
READ THE DARN WIKI!!!!

Chuck Norris...
...READS THE WIKI!!!

Offline CS1

• View Profile
    • California Gourmet Premium Chocolate
  • Programs: DDSLA, DDSCLE, Bonvoy Titanium Feb 2025
« Reply #2685 on: December 31, 2014, 01:06:13 PM »
In NY ime

so that explains why it needs to be at CS. However, in the RC states, then the cashiers are fine, B"H.
California Gourmet Belgian Nut-Free Chocolate Chips https://bit.ly/CaliforniaGourmetDirect

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #2686 on: December 31, 2014, 01:08:42 PM »
so that explains why it needs to be at CS. However, in the RC states, then the cashiers are fine, B"H.
They are fine until it changes.  ;)
I just found a new supply of forks!

Offline E-MAN

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2687 on: December 31, 2014, 01:09:15 PM »
True, but if you nicely explain to the cashier that they can also do it and all they have to do is swipe the card, they will do it IME.

Offline cozmohoot

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2688 on: December 31, 2014, 01:21:08 PM »
You can go to the one by the junction and barclays no reason to shlep so far you just have to be smart and do the ddf'er etiquette if they make you trouble walk away and don't ruin it for everyone else...
From marine Park, Erskine is a pleasure to drive to. When there is no traffic. Also has a parking lot

Offline bigbadmoish

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2689 on: December 31, 2014, 01:21:38 PM »
just to clarify... in order to buy RC for another person you must activate it by a RC enabled target and then can register it online to whomever?

Offline noturbizniss

• View Profile
« Reply #2690 on: December 31, 2014, 01:23:43 PM »
True, but if you nicely explain to the cashier that they can also do it and all they have to do is swipe the card, they will do it IME.
They always call the floor manager who tells me to go to cs
READ THE DARN WIKI!!!!

Chuck Norris...
...READS THE WIKI!!!

Offline KenZein

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2691 on: December 31, 2014, 01:35:50 PM »
just to clarify... in order to buy RC for another person you must activate it by a RC enabled target and then can register it online to whomever?

Seems that way.

Offline shmu

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
    • Lulav and Etrog
« Reply #2692 on: December 31, 2014, 01:40:08 PM »
From marine Park, Erskine is a pleasure to drive to. When there is no traffic. Also has a parking lot

Last night I was at Erskine and CS would not let me load with CC. please let us know how it went.

Online hvaces42

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #2693 on: December 31, 2014, 04:36:24 PM »
They always call the floor manager who tells me to go to cs
IME they did it if you asked nicely. No managers involved. Just tell them its a new product. Some cashiers have limits on size of transaction. In the Target at Flatbush and H the junior electronics guy couldnt take a 1k payment, so he passed me off to the other cashier who was able to process it.
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Online hvaces42

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #2694 on: December 31, 2014, 04:41:05 PM »
Last night I was at Erskine and CS would not let me load with CC. please let us know how it went.
Erskine to Green Acres isnt that far either. There are plenty of Targets around including 2 in Staten ISland, 3 in queens, 1 in Harlem and a couple in the Bronx that its worthwhile not to concentrate on the 3 local ones in Brooklyn. If 25+k UR or 5k to 7,500 MR or whatever other currency you are accruing (times however many cards you have) aren't worth a little effort dont waste ur time with this. 
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline yitzyul

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #2695 on: December 31, 2014, 05:08:23 PM »
Around how long does it take from online activation until receiving in the mail? I got email on the 23 that it has shipped and still advent received! (I Understand that its holiday time).

Offline noturbizniss

• View Profile
« Reply #2696 on: December 31, 2014, 05:38:50 PM »
IME they did it if you asked nicely. No managers involved. Just tell them its a new product. Some cashiers have limits on size of transaction. In the Target at Flatbush and H the junior electronics guy couldnt take a 1k payment, so he passed me off to the other cashier who was able to process it.
You think I'm a N00b ?of course I did that. They are scared to put so much on and insist on calling the manager, so I just go to cs. The first time the cashier did it after manager okd it and didn't need numbers or anything

Erskine to Green Acres isnt that far either. There are plenty of Targets around including 2 in Staten ISland, 3 in queens, 1 in Harlem and a couple in the Bronx that its worthwhile not to concentrate on the 3 local ones in Brooklyn. If 25+k UR or 5k to 7,500 MR or whatever other currency you are accruing (times however many cards you have) aren't worth a little effort dont waste ur time with this.

The cs at my target are happy to load for me and already know the process. They even love that I use multiple VGCs every time
Around how long does it take from online activation until receiving in the mail? I got email on the 23 that it has shipped and still advent received! (I Understand that its holiday time).
I think at least 10 days to 2 weeks especially with the holidays
READ THE DARN WIKI!!!!

Chuck Norris...
...READS THE WIKI!!!

Offline coralsnake

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2697 on: December 31, 2014, 07:01:54 PM »

I also had ship email on 23rd and nothing yet. Was hoping to get some in for the month  :'(
"Here at DansDeals we don’t do buses." -Dan

Offline L

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2698 on: December 31, 2014, 07:08:55 PM »
My story -

I got hold of two red cards and successfully activated in December.

Initial purchase and activation in a state that sells them, used four different drivers licenses and ss numbers. Registered online with the same info as purchased (and unique email addresses), two were good to go, two needed more info. One, uploaded docs, said approved, now almost two weeks, have yet to receive card so certainly missed December, but will give it a couple more days just in case delay due to mail schedule this time of year. The other one was denied - they will not accept the info submitted and I'm just letting it go.

Loading at the Junction: This is the Target most convenient for me and I merrily went in and was directed to guest services, where they promptly told me the max is $500 per day. I tried to load with Visa Gift Cards, no go. The rep called the manager over who refused to allow it. Long story short - really depends. Rahim is impossible, as are a few of the managers, but if you can avoid them, it's very much ymmv. I ultimately ended up doing an assortment of $1,000 credit card swipes, $500 credit card swipes, and $200 VGC loads. Time was running out on the month and I was headed towards Monsey so I used the last few of my vgc in Clarkestown and Spring Valley Targets - successful with the cashiers. Given how difficult they are at the Junction and the end of the Staples rebate at Visa Savings, I don't intend to work with VGC anymore, just periodically swipe my credit cards.

FYI - after the rep swipes the card, the screen prompts them not to accept Target gift cards. I've explained that I am not using a TGC, just a debit card - sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. They also usually ask for id, which they don't need if it's a debit card, but some of them are over-conscientious.

The regular cashiers have all (as far as I can tell) been instructed NOT to even swipe the card for you but send you to Guest Services. Where, again, it's hit or miss. Haven't tried going upstairs to electronics, although it's a thought.

One of the reps told me that they are NOT GOING TO EVER bring red card to NY - because it is considered a high fraud state. One told me it actually WAS rolled out here and promptly yanked due to abuse.

All in all, interesting - and VERY WELCOME addition to my points portfolio, as I had already closed my BlueBird account (not worth the hassle of Walmart chasing from Brooklyn), and refused to keep track of which IP address gets which email address for AP. I figure if this lasts, it can be a steady drip-drip of points from my business and personal cards, and am using the funds to pay legitimate bills - loan repayments, mortgage payments, etc. so there is no risk of being flagged as paying TO the very same account the charge is coming FROM. And - I absolutely use the card for Target purchases - why not save the 5% and use it legitimately?

A heartfelt plea that echoes others - PLEASE don't be rude and obnoxious and ruin a good thing. If this is nurtured, and not abused, perhaps it can last a long, long time!

Offline L

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2699 on: December 31, 2014, 07:09:47 PM »
whoops - I'm new at posting, not sure how I got that weird font, my apologies!