Topic Wiki

Since October 12, 2015, the prepaid REDcard (Redbird) can only be loaded at Target with cash. It can still be loaded online with a bank-issued debit card, up to $200/day and $1K/month.

Therefore, for MS (manufactured spending) Redbird is now considered dead. RIP!

Author Topic: The Target Prepaid REDcard  (Read 1918621 times)

Offline Azis Papa

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: The Target Prepaid REDcard
« Reply #4640 on: February 04, 2015, 09:38:56 PM »
It's just a dumb cashier. Next time say Ok and come back
Ya, for sure I didn't argue but as I said she called over the manager who confirmed they do not take GCs.

Offline sam28

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4641 on: February 04, 2015, 09:44:09 PM »
I was by a target yesterday in upstate ny and she was trying to charge 1000 1000 and 500 and it wont let her do it so she told to do 3 swipes with my cc

Offline duvz

• View Profile
  • Programs: United MileagePlus, Chase UR, BA Avios, SW Rapid Rewards, Amex SPG
« Reply #4642 on: February 04, 2015, 09:45:25 PM »
Report from tonight in Pittsburgh:

Well, interestingly enough, for the first time I was explicitly turned down to do the FT method. CS told me she would not do it that way. Seemed like she knew exactly what I was asking for and had been debriefed. She did however load 1000, 1000, 500 in three transactions which is the most important thing.

I went to a regular cashier after that to load my wife's card. He also flatly refused to do FT method as if he had been told specifically what it is and not to do it. He had no problem doing separate swipes though.
Freddie, which store in Pittsburgh? Funny enough that just happened to me in the waterfront. A few CS managers have already found the FT method to be 'a really neat trick' and have thanked me in the past. Tonight was the first time I was unable to do it. The CS rep/manager told me that when she tried loading more than 1k (using FT method) the computer said strangely "not enough funds" or something of that nature. So we went ahead with doing 3 separate swipes.

Has anyone ever tried the FT method loading only 500 each time (5 times)? I wonder if that will work at all.

Offline Freddie

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4643 on: February 04, 2015, 09:46:44 PM »
Freddie, which store in Pittsburgh? Funny enough that just happened to me in the waterfront. A few CS managers have already found the FT method to be 'a really neat trick' and have thanked me in the past. Tonight was the first time I was unable to do it. The CS rep/manager told me that when she tried loading more than 1k (using FT method) the computer said strangely "not enough funds" or something of that nature.

Has anyone ever tried the FT method loading only 500 each time (5 times)? I wonder if that will work at all.

East Liberty. FT method used to work there, maybe still does, but they refuse to do it.

Offline duvz

• View Profile
« Reply #4644 on: February 04, 2015, 09:49:24 PM »
East Liberty. FT method used to work there, maybe still does, but they refuse to do it.
Damn, they're cracking down I guess, which actually hurts them in the grand scheme of things eh. I'm confirming that it used to work there, my wife did it there a couple weeks ago. I'm still here in the target parking lot scratching my head.

Offline Marco Polo

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 104
    • View Profile
« Reply #4645 on: February 04, 2015, 09:49:59 PM »
FM is saying Target changed their system. Ultimately protecting the customer from possible missing money. Read the post to see more details.
Quaerite et Invenietis.

Offline Marco Polo

• View Profile
« Reply #4646 on: February 04, 2015, 09:51:04 PM »
FM is saying Target changed their system. Ultimately protecting the customer from possible missing money. Read the post to see more details.
I'll post the paragraph i am referring to.

There was a pretty significant problem with the way the registers used to work.  When loading through multiple swipes to one card, the system did not properly protect the customer against trying to load more than the daily or monthly limit to their card.  So, for example, when a person tried to load $2,500 at once to a card that only had maybe $1,500 of capacity left, bad things would happen.  Specifically, the customer would be charged the full $2,500, but only receive $1,500 on their card.  What would then ensue is a nightmare of phone calls, Amex and Target pointing fingers at each other, and most likely long sleepless nights.  Even though the new process is more cumbersome, I’m glad that customers can no longer fall into this trap.
Quaerite et Invenietis.

Offline duvz

• View Profile
« Reply #4647 on: February 04, 2015, 09:51:54 PM »
On another note, using a family member's (brother) SS# to get a 3rd card.... is it a bad idea? What is the best way to go through with applying using his SS#? Standard application procedure just using that # and my address/info for everything else?

Offline Freddie

• View Profile
« Reply #4648 on: February 04, 2015, 09:52:18 PM »
Where is that from, Marco?

Offline Marco Polo

• View Profile
« Reply #4649 on: February 04, 2015, 09:53:04 PM »
On another note, using a family member's (brother) SS# to get a 3rd card.... is it a bad idea? What is the best way to go through with applying using his SS#? Standard application procedure just using that # and my address/info for everything else?
Info can be the same aside form SSN and email and it shouldn't be an issue.
Quaerite et Invenietis.

Offline Marco Polo

• View Profile
« Reply #4650 on: February 04, 2015, 09:53:21 PM »
Where is that from, Marco?
Frequent Miler.
Quaerite et Invenietis.

Offline duvz

• View Profile
« Reply #4651 on: February 04, 2015, 10:09:00 PM »
Info can be the same aside form SSN and email and it shouldn't be an issue.
Thx

Offline ethana

• View Profile
« Reply #4652 on: February 04, 2015, 11:01:44 PM »
Went to valley stream tonight. They said the max per day is 2k. Guess it really depends on who you get. Last week they did 2500 no problems.

Offline benjie1305

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #4653 on: February 04, 2015, 11:02:46 PM »
Went to valley stream tonight. They said the max per day is 2k. Guess it really depends on who you get. Last week they did 2500 no problems.

1k limit has been there for a good 2 weeks now on daily basis so 2k seems a weird but positive upgrade.
Work hard, Play harder!

Offline Barryg

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4654 on: February 05, 2015, 12:03:47 AM »
Did anyone try to load $1k RedBird + $1k AFT in same transaction?

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #4655 on: February 05, 2015, 01:01:26 AM »
Successfully loaded $5k split between 2 cards at CS with CC, although FT method did not work.

Offline cholent

• View Profile
« Reply #4656 on: February 05, 2015, 01:26:14 AM »
Successfully loaded $5k split between 2 cards at CS with CC, although FT method did not work.

I think we can now definitively confirm that FT method is dead. No more data points needed. And the good news is that the daily limit of $2.5k hasn't changed, and can be loaded by CCs and GCs, just needs to be at least 3 separate transaction.

It's probably too much to ask that we stop repeating the data points confirming the above and stick to new information... (or repeats of questions asked 40+x upthread, and written out in the wiki)
Don't ask stupid questions and you won't get stupid answers

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #4657 on: February 05, 2015, 01:30:10 AM »
I think we can now definitively confirm that FT method is dead. No more data points needed. And the good news is that the daily limit of $2.5k hasn't changed, and can be loaded by CCs and GCs, just needs to be at least 3 separate transaction.

It's probably too much to ask that we stop repeating the data points confirming the above and stick to new information... (or repeats of questions asked 40+x upthread, and written out in the wiki)
Only mentioned it because I'm in CA, buy I hear you're point.

Offline cholent

• View Profile
« Reply #4658 on: February 05, 2015, 01:40:43 AM »
Only mentioned it because I'm in CA, buy I hear you're point.

I wasn't trying to attack you  :) Just hoping to move the discussion along and minimize future people posting the same thing
Don't ask stupid questions and you won't get stupid answers

Offline JosephM

• View Profile
« Reply #4659 on: February 05, 2015, 10:15:20 AM »
I made a mistake calculating and accidentally tried to load an extra penny on to the card today and went over the max for the day.  Was loading with 2 different cards.  For the second load I did 1000 + 146.88 ( when is should have been 146.87) My receipt says $1146.88 but the last 146.87 never loaded.  Anyone have any experience with this?  Will the charge on my cc end up showing as 1000 or 1146.88.  If the latter, what happens to the 146.88 that never loaded?
What was the outcome of this?

I never did anything about it because I didn't think it was worth possibly getting closed down for. 

It seems that Amex just found the error by themselves.  I just received an email from Amex that they found the problem and that they are sending me a check.  I logged on to my account and saw that the money was loaded on to the card and the next transaction says "withdrawal by check", so I it seems that they put the money in my account before taking it out to send me a check.  Because of the way it was done I'm guessing that this is going to have to be part of this month's load amount.