Topic Wiki

Since October 12, 2015, the prepaid REDcard (Redbird) can only be loaded at Target with cash. It can still be loaded online with a bank-issued debit card, up to $200/day and $1K/month.

Therefore, for MS (manufactured spending) Redbird is now considered dead. RIP!

Author Topic: The Target Prepaid REDcard  (Read 1892139 times)

Offline @Yehuda

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Re: The Target Prepaid REDcard
« Reply #2260 on: December 23, 2014, 08:41:39 AM »
CS lines are usually very long,
Today a cashier told me to go to CS so I went on the next line found a cashier that had no clue what this is just told her swipe and did $2500 with 1 cc swipe another $2500 on my wife's card and 5 min later out with $5000 MS, gotta love red card as long as it lasts
What's the reason more people don't try $2500? Because the CC may get declined as a fraud alert?

Offline Marco Polo

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 104
    • View Profile
« Reply #2261 on: December 23, 2014, 08:47:56 AM »
What's the reason more people don't try $2500? Because the CC may get declined as a fraud alert?
I tried it and it didn't work. Could be it is different at CSR and cashier...
Quaerite et Invenietis.

Offline CS1

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • California Gourmet Premium Chocolate
  • Programs: DDSLA, DDSCLE, Bonvoy Titanium Feb 2025
« Reply #2262 on: December 23, 2014, 08:49:20 AM »

Most cash registers in the RC states are hard-wired to max at $1,000 per transaction...
Maybe the CS desk is different....
California Gourmet Belgian Nut-Free Chocolate Chips https://bit.ly/CaliforniaGourmetDirect

Offline an613

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2263 on: December 23, 2014, 09:19:23 AM »

Yes -- you can reload the temp card up to $1,000 per day ($500 per transaction) with a $1500 max prior to receiving your permanent card.

-1. I loaded 1000 in one transaction onto a temp. On two diff temp cards

Offline CS1

• View Profile
    • California Gourmet Premium Chocolate
  • Programs: DDSLA, DDSCLE, Bonvoy Titanium Feb 2025
« Reply #2264 on: December 23, 2014, 09:24:41 AM »
-1. I loaded 1000 in one transaction onto a temp. On two diff temp cards

OK -- so maybe just the first transaction is $500? Still a $1500 max for the temp card, right?
California Gourmet Belgian Nut-Free Chocolate Chips https://bit.ly/CaliforniaGourmetDirect

Offline ckmk47

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2265 on: December 23, 2014, 09:25:07 AM »
OK -- so maybe just the first transaction is $500? Still a $1500 max for the temp card, right?
yup
My favorite cause: cssy.org

Offline Don Will

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2266 on: December 23, 2014, 10:05:53 AM »
If someone is buying me a red card in a store that charges $5.00 can they just pay for them without activating them in store and then send it to me and I can just register them myself ? Also do they just need my ssn number and license number or us a physical I.d necessary ? Thanx

Offline ckmk47

• View Profile
« Reply #2267 on: December 23, 2014, 10:36:15 AM »
If someone is buying me a red card in a store that charges $5.00 can they just pay for them without activating them in store and then send it to me and I can just register them myself ? Also do they just need my ssn number and license number or us a physical I.d necessary ? Thanx
You want him to activate it in the store.
Then he gives you all the numbers (or the card) and you register it on line.
He can use his ss# and info and then you (without knowing his info) register it with your info.

Offline Don Will

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2268 on: December 23, 2014, 11:41:43 AM »

You want him to activate it in the store.
Then he gives you all the numbers (or the card) and you register it on line.
He can use his ss# and info and then you (without knowing his info) register it with your info.
that I got but my question is If I want a second one can I just give him my ssn and license number d.o.b. Or is an actual i.d. Card needed.

Offline yoruel

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2269 on: December 23, 2014, 11:54:32 AM »
How long does it take for money to hit bank account after you withdraw?

Offline ckmk47

• View Profile
« Reply #2270 on: December 23, 2014, 12:19:00 PM »
that I got but my question is If I want a second one can I just give him my ssn and license number d.o.b. Or is an actual i.d. Card needed.
IDK.  My ID was needed to activate.  She scanned it, so it may be part of the computer prompts to the cashier.

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #2271 on: December 23, 2014, 12:21:41 PM »
Well I just finished my first successful Target run, b"h!
Took about an hour, but that's still way better than running to CVS for OVs and then going to WM.

I first went to customer service where I loaded $1K bc I was nervous to try for more, so unfortunately, I don't have a data point on whether customer service can handle >$1K.

After that, I went to a cashier and was CC-rejected when trying to load $1K. Frustratingly, I called AMEX (it was an AMEX cc) and they removed the fraud alert. I told them I would be loading much more than just the $1K, and I was assured that all would be good. I was then able to load $1K (at now my 3rd register) but a subsequent $500 load was CC-rejected again. I called up even more upset and was told that by going lower than the $1K fraud amount, the system picked it up as fraud again since a fraudster would normally try to run a lesser amount if initially rejected at a higher amount. This rep was able to get all amounts pre-approved.

The 4th register of the day got the last $500 to work. And then I stepped out of line to start with my wife's card. I decided to go to the electronics dept nearby which was empty and the cashier there thought the prepaid RedCard was really cool and gladly loaded me up with 3 transactions! (We tried $2500 but it didn't work.)

Offline lunatic

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2272 on: December 23, 2014, 12:42:56 PM »
Took about an hour, but that's still way better than running to CVS for OVs and then going to WM.

I first went to customer service where I loaded $1K bc I was nervous to try for more, so unfortunately, I don't have a data point on whether customer service can handle >$1K.

After that, I went to a cashier and was CC-rejected when trying to load $1K. Frustratingly, I called AMEX (it was an AMEX cc) and they removed the fraud alert. I told them I would be loading much more than just the $1K, and I was assured that all would be good. I was then able to load $1K (at now my 3rd register) but a subsequent $500 load was CC-rejected again. I called up even more upset and was told that by going lower than the $1K fraud amount, the system picked it up as fraud again since a fraudster would normally try to run a lesser amount if initially rejected at a higher amount. This rep was able to get all amounts pre-approved.

The 4th register of the day got the last $500 to work. And then I stepped out of line to start with my wife's card. I decided to go to the electronics dept nearby which was empty and the cashier there thought the prepaid RedCard was really cool and gladly loaded me up with 3 transactions! (We tried $2500 but it didn't work.)
I get fraud alerts almost every time... It's normal but annoying

Offline AnonymousUser

• View Profile
« Reply #2273 on: December 23, 2014, 12:50:23 PM »
To activate, an actual ID is needed. To get more than 1, you can use the same info and ID, just put in a different SSN. The info entered during activation and the ID used don't make a difference at all to the person who registers them.

Offline AnonymousUser

• View Profile
« Reply #2274 on: December 23, 2014, 12:53:00 PM »

Ask for compensation for having to call fraud twice.

Offline zh cohen

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2275 on: December 23, 2014, 01:28:27 PM »

I get fraud alerts almost every time... It's normal but annoying

If you download the Amex App you don't have to call to deal with the fraud alerts. A notification will pop up and you can confirm that its not fraud from the app directly.

Offline bermo

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2276 on: December 23, 2014, 01:32:45 PM »
If you download the Amex App you don't have to call to deal with the fraud alerts. A notification will pop up and you can confirm that its not fraud from the app directly.
Its really cool you swipe the cashier says it didn't work. You take out your phone and press yes and tell them to swipe again it literally takes two seconds

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #2277 on: December 23, 2014, 01:34:17 PM »
Ask for compensation for having to call fraud twice.
I did and was told they can't do anything. Not sure I have time to HUCA now.

So the app told me that I have an alert and I opened it. It just said you have to call the 1800 number but there was no where to just confirm it's not fraud. :(

Offline zh cohen

• View Profile
« Reply #2278 on: December 23, 2014, 02:54:28 PM »
So the app told me that I have an alert and I opened it. It just said you have to call the 1800 number but there was no where to just confirm it's not fraud. :(

You have the latest version of the app? You may have to set something up in the settings.

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #2279 on: December 23, 2014, 03:46:00 PM »
You have the latest version of the app? You may have to set something up in the settings.
I do. Just downloaded it recently. Perhaps I need to do that.