Topic Wiki

Since October 12, 2015, the prepaid REDcard (Redbird) can only be loaded at Target with cash. It can still be loaded online with a bank-issued debit card, up to $200/day and $1K/month.

Therefore, for MS (manufactured spending) Redbird is now considered dead. RIP!

Author Topic: The Target Prepaid REDcard  (Read 1892322 times)

Offline srap

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
Re: The Target Prepaid REDcard
« Reply #2580 on: December 29, 2014, 08:14:16 PM »
Last time i posted on this thread was a few weeks ago, since then I have had no trouble loading close to 20k on 4 different cards.

Were all of them with your own SS#?  How did you bypass the showing of your driver's license?

Offline rng

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2581 on: December 29, 2014, 08:18:28 PM »
   Were all of them with your own SS#?  How did you bypass the showing of your driver's license?
family members socials

Offline rng

• View Profile
« Reply #2582 on: December 29, 2014, 08:27:13 PM »
i go to targets where they dont ask for drivers license ;-) are people having issues wth them asking for id when loading?

Offline srap

• View Profile
« Reply #2583 on: December 29, 2014, 08:51:08 PM »
i go to targets where they dont ask for drivers license ;-) are people having issues wth them asking for id when loading?
I would like to first-time-activate a few RCs.  Has anyone done this without using family members' SS#s?  I don't mind giving what I think family members' SS #s 'might be', but they want to back it up with scanning a Driver's license.  How do I get around this?

Offline rng

• View Profile
« Reply #2584 on: December 29, 2014, 08:57:51 PM »
I would like to first-time-activate a few RCs.  Has anyone done this without using family members' SS#s?  I don't mind giving what I think family members' SS #s 'might be', but they want to back it up with scanning a Driver's license.  How do I get around this?
first time activating give your id and your ss# or fake one doesnt matter and then change it later after its activated when you register it can be in someone elses name.

Offline zh cohen

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2585 on: December 29, 2014, 09:00:27 PM »
I then went to target and loaded $1500 while I waited for my permanent card to come,

Do you mean $1000?

Offline JayR

• View Profile
« Reply #2586 on: December 29, 2014, 09:06:33 PM »
Scanning a driver's license IMO has nothing to do with SSN. You can put in fake SSN while activating each card and they'll scan your driver's license and it will still go through. Even the same phone #s work. So, in your case, scanning your driver's license and putting in you family member's SSN is not a problem

The Target cashier doesn't see the SSN you put in. The SSN that you input cannot be one that is linked to a registered Recard. Target only knows the SSNs that are linked to a registered RC Only AMEX, when creating an account for you, sees your real SSN. Then, it seems that AMEX will send Target a list of SSNs that have registered Redcards. Now, if you try to get a second RC, Target will say that the SSN already has one. But that's only for SSN's that are linked to a registered RC.

It would seem that a person with no registered RC, can buy multiple Redcards and use the same SSN and it should work. But people have reported that it doesn't (where did i go wrong)???
You can modify your original post. The modify button is right next to the quote button.

Offline JayR

• View Profile
« Reply #2587 on: December 29, 2014, 09:10:03 PM »
I never am asked for id when loading RC.

Last time i posted on this thread was a few weeks ago, since then I have had no trouble loading close to 20k on 4 different cards.
I can tell you what worked for me and if someone can tell me what has changed in 40 pages of this.
I got the cards from people who already activated the cards and loaded initial $5.
They then sent me their dob and card number and security and I put in all my info, (closed serve card right before).
I then went to target and loaded $1500 while I waited for my permanent card to come, once it did, I loaded 2500 and then the remainder on my next diaper trip.
If someone can explain
1)what the issues that are occurring lately?
2)has targets policy changed?
3)are the cs reps told they can only load an X amount a day?
4)is there any way for them to see that if u go to a different register?
5) is there are issues is this only in specific stores? if yes it would be helpful if the oilam knew which ones to avoid or what you need to circumvent there.
Thanks

The problem that is coming up is that Target only allows REDcard-carrying stores to be able to activate the RC. People that have gotten a RC that wasn't activated in a store (someone just shoplifted took the card and left without activating it) and then try to activate it in a Target that doesn't sell them (cs: we sell these here? you: umm) as of now it won't work. As for loading, there seems to be no change yet in Target's policy. If one has problems, it's probably a separate issue.
You can modify your original post. The modify button is right next to the quote button.

Online etech0

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
« Reply #2588 on: December 29, 2014, 09:17:28 PM »
has anyone successfully activated a RC in a store that doesn't sell them recently?

ie: is this an across-the-board issue, or a sometimes issue?
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Offline rng

• View Profile
« Reply #2589 on: December 29, 2014, 09:30:04 PM »
now someone that tried selling me rc's on this forum tells me that the policy will be changing soon and that its not going to last nearly as long as the vr's there fore h is charging 5x or 6x...  i hope he is wrong...maybe he works for target or something...and knows something that we dont

Offline zh cohen

• View Profile
« Reply #2590 on: December 29, 2014, 09:37:21 PM »
now someone that tried selling me rc's on this forum tells me that the policy will be changing soon and that its not going to last nearly as long as the vr's there fore h is charging 5x or 6x...  i hope he is wrong...maybe he works for target or something...and knows something that we dont

I don't know who you are talking about so I may be completely wrong, but chances are he's just trying to make 5-6x the money by scaring you...

Offline hvaces42

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #2591 on: December 29, 2014, 09:39:27 PM »
activated or unactivated?

If unactivated he's selling snake oil.

If activated, just capitalizing on sparse availability of activated cards now that they cannot be activated in stores that dont sell/carry them.

He knows nothing about policy changes. Thats the one thing we are all sure about. :-)
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline hvaces42

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #2592 on: December 29, 2014, 09:39:58 PM »
I don't know who you are talking about so I may be completely wrong, but chances are he's just trying to make 5-6x the money by scaring you...
+5-6x
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline A3

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2593 on: December 29, 2014, 09:50:51 PM »
I think that should drop the price.

Offline AnonymousUser

• View Profile
« Reply #2594 on: December 29, 2014, 09:55:48 PM »
Scanning a driver's license IMO has nothing to do with SSN. You can put in fake SSN while activating each card and they'll scan your driver's license and it will still go through. Even the same phone #s work. So, in your case, scanning your driver's license and putting in you family member's SSN is not a problem

The Target cashier doesn't see the SSN you put in. The SSN that you input cannot be one that is linked to a registered Recard. Target only knows the SSNs that are linked to a registered RC Only AMEX, when creating an account for you, sees your real SSN. Then, it seems that AMEX will send Target a list of SSNs that have registered Redcards. Now, if you try to get a second RC, Target will say that the SSN already has one. But that's only for SSN's that are linked to a registered RC.

It would seem that a person with no registered RC, can buy multiple Redcards and use the same SSN and it should work. But people have reported that it doesn't (where did i go wrong)???
You can only activate 1 redcard per SSN per day. They don't verify the SSN you enter when you activate against the driver's license, but they do keep a record of it so you can't use it again that day.

Offline JayR

• View Profile
« Reply #2595 on: December 29, 2014, 10:01:29 PM »
You can only activate 1 redcard per SSN per day. They don't verify the SSN you enter when you activate against the driver's license, but they do keep a record of it so you can't use it again that day.

Got it. Thanks!

Offline chaimmayer

• View Profile
« Reply #2596 on: December 29, 2014, 10:15:43 PM »
I never am asked for id when loading RC.

The problem that is coming up is that Target only allows REDcard-carrying stores to be able to activate the RC. People that have gotten a RC that wasn't activated in a store (someone just shoplifted took the card and left without activating it) and then try to activate it in a Target that doesn't sell them (cs: we sell these here? you: umm) as of now it won't work. As for loading, there seems to be no change yet in Target's policy. If one has problems, it's probably a separate issue.
I have not been following this thread since I didn't have a red card.
I just bought a non-activated card from someone and took it to my target here in Florida and sure enough there was no way to register it in store.
Is there anything I can do now with the card?
Thanks

Offline rileywiles23

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2597 on: December 29, 2014, 10:16:51 PM »
Tried activating a card today at target in Brooklyn and it the could not do it... So for all those wondering you have to get a activated card if you want to use it in Brooklyn
Life is as good as you make it...

Offline JayR

• View Profile
« Reply #2598 on: December 29, 2014, 10:28:28 PM »
I have not been following this thread since I didn't have a red card.
I just bought a non-activated card from someone and took it to my target here in Florida and sure enough there was no way to register it in store.
Is there anything I can do now with the card?
Thanks

It's all in the thread:
I'm all lost i got my self finally 2 red cards and wen to target with it and I said I want to activate it the rep at the register told me Np she scanned the card and ask how much I want to load I said $500 and she didn't ask me for no name or ID or any other information..  And I called the number in back of my card to see if it's active but it wasn't..  What should i do?  How can I activate it here in Brooklyn?  Please help me thanks

What's going on?  I was just by target and I gave them my red card to activate and I put on it $500 they didn't ask me for my name and no info from so it was funny to me so i called the number in back of the card  said they that the card is not active and I gotta go through a whole process faxing many documents.. Anyone can help?

Don't bother with faxing the Info I was busy with it a week and they didn't do Mt nothing because you I didn't have the receipt..  It's a problem I'm stuck with 3 cards like this

I tried activating it but with no success they told yes it's all activated but it wasn't.

So to be clear for  the 50th time u asked. Activation in Brooklyn seems dead but YMMV. Loading in Brooklyn is alive and well but amounts are still YMMV.

A week ago is very different than today.
It seems that activation outside of the stores that actually sell the cards is not possible anymore (I'm curious to know if can be activated in a state that sells them even if that store specifically doesn't sell them). 
People have tried it with both bar codes and have had no luck.

One person upthread seems to have trouble activating a permanent card without a receipt, but that seems to be an anomaly.

The card is useless unless you activate it in REDcard carrying Target  ;)

Offline Azis Papa

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2599 on: December 29, 2014, 10:29:45 PM »
There is so much speculation going around in this thread so let me add my own two cents ;D.

Target rolled out the pre-paid Redcard to only a limited number of States or geographic areas.  Why would they do that? Why limit it?  I think I saw somewhere up in this thread that is a trial or a pilot project or something.  So obviously they want to control that so they can learn whatever it is they are hoping to learn before going forward (or pulling the plug as the case may be).  To me that scenario could explain why some places get free activation and some have to pay $5.  And it certainly could explain why they would clamp down on people trying to activate bootlegged cards in areas that are not supposed to have them yet. 

I don't see this as any reason to go running around, like chicken little, shreying that "the sky is falling" or anything like that.  It's just bad for the people in NY, NJ, CA, etc that don't get to have it (yet).  But, on the other hand, once it does get released in NY and those other places, well, that will probably kill it for all of us anyway.