Topic Wiki

Since October 12, 2015, the prepaid REDcard (Redbird) can only be loaded at Target with cash. It can still be loaded online with a bank-issued debit card, up to $200/day and $1K/month.

Therefore, for MS (manufactured spending) Redbird is now considered dead. RIP!

Author Topic: The Target Prepaid REDcard  (Read 1907980 times)

Offline hvaces42

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
Re: The Target Prepaid REDcard
« Reply #2600 on: December 29, 2014, 10:55:47 PM »
There is so much speculation going around in this thread so let me add my own two cents ;D.

Target rolled out the pre-paid Redcard to only a limited number of States or geographic areas.  Why would they do that? Why limit it?  I think I saw somewhere up in this thread that is a trial or a pilot project or something.  So obviously they want to control that so they can learn whatever it is they are hoping to learn before going forward (or pulling the plug as the case may be).  To me that scenario could explain why some places get free activation and some have to pay $5.  And it certainly could explain why they would clamp down on people trying to activate bootlegged cards in areas that are not supposed to have them yet. 

I don't see this as any reason to go running around, like chicken little, shreying that "the sky is falling" or anything like that.  It's just bad for the people in NY, NJ, CA, etc that don't get to have it (yet).  But, on the other hand, once it does get released in NY and those other places, well, that will probably kill it for all of us anyway.
Sounds reasonable. Super retailers dont always order product for all their stores. If it works in those stores they'll roll it out nationwide.

Curiously, the rollout is concentrated just outside major cities except in Cleveland. Beginning to suspect @Dan in all of this. He's been suspiciously quiet of late. :-) Is this another social engineering  scheme cooked up to market DD? ;D ;D
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline srulky

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2601 on: December 29, 2014, 11:34:03 PM »
There is so much speculation going around in this thread so let me add my own two cents ;D.

Target rolled out the pre-paid Redcard to only a limited number of States or geographic areas.  Why would they do that? Why limit it?  I think I saw somewhere up in this thread that is a trial or a pilot project or something.  So obviously they want to control that so they can learn whatever it is they are hoping to learn before going forward (or pulling the plug as the case may be).  To me that scenario could explain why some places get free activation and some have to pay $5.  And it certainly could explain why they would clamp down on people trying to activate bootlegged cards in areas that are not supposed to have them yet. 

I don't see this as any reason to go running around, like chicken little, shreying that "the sky is falling" or anything like that.  It's just bad for the people in NY, NJ, CA, etc that don't get to have it (yet).  But, on the other hand, once it does get released in NY and those other places, well, that will probably kill it for all of us anyway.

Totally agree. I think that if Redcards were available at the Targets in NY and NJ they will become so inundated with people trying to fill 17 cards for every family member they can think of that the entire program will be shut down. They will probably shut it down just because of the line at customer service in Brooklyn of people trying to activate Redcards. I do not envy the CS reps in these few stores. Seriously, back off and find a relative who can get you an activated card and then make them crazy. Just dont mess it up for all those who can benefit. Midas Sdom.

Offline cholent

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2602 on: December 30, 2014, 12:15:25 AM »
Just some data points:

I'm now month 2 into my redcard in Lakewood, and it's great. CS or cashiers at Target on 70 are super friendly and super helpful. Nobody has ever asked me for ID or given me a problem with loading 2 redcards at a time.

I did get flagged for fraud from Amex one time. They refused to clear the fraud alert by phone from my cell, and insisted I call from my home phone to clear the alert - stupid waste of a trip to Target (though I always carry multiple CCs I'm aiming for bonuses on, I specifically wanted to do the Amex on that trip). I've asked them to given me 10k MR points as an apology, and they said they will do that only after my first statement posts.

My friend, OTOH, has been having a lot of issues with Chase. They flag his card every single time he tries, even if he's cleared it in advance. Now they say he has to take it into a Chase branch to clear the fraud alert.

My only concern here is whether Amex will think it's suspicious that I have so many large transactions at Target, all in such unrealistically round numbers, and flag for FR? I guess nobody can really know for sure
Don't ask stupid questions and you won't get stupid answers

Offline 12HRS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2603 on: December 30, 2014, 12:20:17 AM »
Wifes Chase card has been having trouble with 1k transactions. Dropping it to $500 helped.

As an aside if you worry about round numbers. You can charge random amounts. $983.29 $718.20 $798.51 or whatever combo you want.

Offline cholent

• View Profile
« Reply #2604 on: December 30, 2014, 12:22:07 AM »
Wifes Chase card has been having trouble with 1k transactions. Dropping it to $500 helped.

As an aside if you worry about round numbers. You can charge random amounts. $983.29 $718.20 $798.51 or whatever combo you want.

I've considered that... but don't want to make the cashiers/cs too crazy. I like to do it the FT way so at least it only shows up as a single swipe instead of 3, although I've found that there are CS representatives who aren't willing to try it
Don't ask stupid questions and you won't get stupid answers

Offline Barryg

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2605 on: December 30, 2014, 12:38:20 AM »
i go to targets where they dont ask for drivers license ;-) are people having issues wth them asking for id when loading?
ID is for buying the original temp version. To load no ID is officially needed

Offline Barryg

• View Profile
« Reply #2606 on: December 30, 2014, 12:40:41 AM »
Scanning a driver's license IMO has nothing to do with SSN. You can put in fake SSN while activating each card and they'll scan your driver's license and it will still go through. Even the same phone #s work. So, in your case, scanning your driver's license and putting in you family member's SSN is not a problem

The Target cashier doesn't see the SSN you put in. The SSN that you input cannot be one that is linked to a registered Recard. Target only knows the SSNs that are linked to a registered RC Only AMEX, when creating an account for you, sees your real SSN. Then, it seems that AMEX will send Target a list of SSNs that have registered Redcards. Now, if you try to get a second RC, Target will say that the SSN already has one. But that's only for SSN's that are linked to a registered RC.

It would seem that a person with no registered RC, can buy multiple Redcards and use the same SSN and it should work. But people have reported that it doesn't (where did i go wrong)???
I thought one can start one new Prepaid RedCard per day? Are you sure that once I register real RedBird I can no longer use my social?

Offline JayR

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2607 on: December 30, 2014, 12:45:00 AM »
I thought one can start one new Prepaid RedCard per day? Are you sure that once I register real RedBird I can no longer use my social?

You can only activate 1 redcard per SSN per day. They don't verify the SSN you enter when you activate against the driver's license, but they do keep a record of it so you can't use it again that day.
You can modify your original post. The modify button is right next to the quote button.

Offline Dr Moose

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2608 on: December 30, 2014, 12:45:43 AM »

I thought one can start one new Prepaid RedCard per day?
you can

Are you sure that once I register real RedBird I can no longer use my social?

that is incorrect info.
Hey there! I am using DansDeals Forums.

Offline Barryg

• View Profile
« Reply #2609 on: December 30, 2014, 12:47:02 AM »
you can

that is incorrect info.
Excellent...

Offline Dr Moose

• View Profile
« Reply #2610 on: December 30, 2014, 12:47:31 AM »
(where did i go wrong)???
you went wrong in the fact that you can only activate one per SSN per day

(and the thing about already having a RC, not being able to activate other RC with same SSN)

Offline Barryg

• View Profile
« Reply #2611 on: December 30, 2014, 12:50:04 AM »
I have heard, that after a few new ones they may not allow, so there is prob a monthly limit as well...
The reason that I'd like to keep using my social is that once I am getting new accounts for relatives I may as well use my social and load $1500, and then transfer to them (as opposed to the $1 load)...

Offline Dr Moose

• View Profile
« Reply #2612 on: December 30, 2014, 12:51:44 AM »
I have heard, that after a few new ones they may not allow, so there is prob a monthly limit as well...
The reason that I'd like to keep using my social is that once I am getting new accounts for relatives I may as well use my social and load $1500, and then transfer to them (as opposed to the $1 load)...
you can only load $500 until you register it. and to register it, you'll need their SSN so what do you accomplish

Offline Barryg

• View Profile
« Reply #2613 on: December 30, 2014, 12:53:15 AM »
And another question: Is Bill Pay even working for anyone? When I click on "Pay Bills", I get, "Due to technical difficulties we are unable to process your request at the moment. Please try again.

We apologize for the inconvenience."
Me too, I hope I don't have to change my email...

Offline Barryg

• View Profile
« Reply #2614 on: December 30, 2014, 12:58:24 AM »
you can only load $500 until you register it. and to register it, you'll need their SSN so what do you accomplish
$500 is still better than $1... Can also use their social as part of the deal... (I am doing all the work here-not easy to keep all these things organized)
Can I use ATM before registering?

Offline ckmk47

• View Profile
« Reply #2615 on: December 30, 2014, 01:08:39 AM »
$500 is still better than $1... Can also use their social as part of the deal... (I am doing all the work here-not easy to keep all these things organized)
Can I use ATM before registering?
I think someone upthread said he did.  You can always try.
My favorite cause: cssy.org

Offline JayR

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2616 on: December 30, 2014, 01:20:10 AM »

Q: Why can't you?
A:
You can only activate 1 redcard per SSN per day. They don't verify the SSN you enter when you activate against the driver's license, but they do keep a record of it so you can't use it again that day.

(and the thing about already having a RC, not being able to activate other RC with same SSN)

So to be clear, even after having registered RC with real SSN, you can purchase temp. RC with same SSN - one activation per day. (Which means AMEX never shares info of registered REDcard SSNs to Target)
Thanks for the elucidation :)
You can modify your original post. The modify button is right next to the quote button.

Offline AnonymousUser

• View Profile
« Reply #2617 on: December 30, 2014, 01:46:40 AM »

Curiously, the rollout is concentrated just outside major cities except in Cleveland. Beginning to suspect @Dan in all of this. He's been suspiciously quiet of late. :-) Is this another social engineering  scheme cooked up to market DD? ;D ;D

Cleveland is bigger than Baltimore and Pittsburgh?
I've activated around 30 this month. I don't think there's a monthly limit.

Offline Barryg

• View Profile
« Reply #2618 on: December 30, 2014, 11:13:53 AM »
I've activated around 30 this month. I don't think there's a monthly limit.
If it's all under one social that's pretty consistent... Once per day every day of month is not an easy task...

Offline benjie1305

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #2619 on: December 30, 2014, 11:17:41 AM »
So has anyone actually had a good and consistent experience with using RC to pay for your mortgage? I am hearing from diff ppl that either the "pay your bill" isnt working or that the mtge rejected it. Can anyone with experience in doing this report? Thanks

(I have looked into Evolve but same issues apply there with only being able to pay 999 a month and possibly being rejected. Just looking to get RC feedback in doing this. )
Work hard, Play harder!