Topic Wiki

Since October 12, 2015, the prepaid REDcard (Redbird) can only be loaded at Target with cash. It can still be loaded online with a bank-issued debit card, up to $200/day and $1K/month.

Therefore, for MS (manufactured spending) Redbird is now considered dead. RIP!

Author Topic: The Target Prepaid REDcard  (Read 1891720 times)

Online etech0

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
Re: The Target Prepaid REDcard
« Reply #11140 on: October 13, 2015, 11:05:02 PM »
Isn't it always like that?
Looks that way.
Yes. It's been bothering me for ages :)
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Offline tzifanya54

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #11141 on: October 13, 2015, 11:19:16 PM »
Yes. It's been bothering me for ages :)
Aha so not red card death, nor SBS death, this has been bothering you for ages  ;)

Offline Freddie

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #11142 on: October 13, 2015, 11:20:23 PM »
Whoa, Red Card won't let me sign in now to look at old statements. Anyone else who canceled their account today have that issue? The final screen said I could sign back in for 90 days.

Offline tzifanya54

• View Profile
« Reply #11143 on: October 13, 2015, 11:29:38 PM »
Just wondering what Amex is gonna say when they lose more than half of all red cards overnight! ::)

Offline coralsnake

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #11144 on: October 13, 2015, 11:29:51 PM »
Whoa, Red Card won't let me sign in now to look at old statements. Anyone else who canceled their account today have that issue? The final screen said I could sign back in for 90 days.
I think it says you can sign back up for 90 days (or maybe reopen).
"Here at DansDeals we don’t do buses." -Dan

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #11145 on: October 13, 2015, 11:30:32 PM »
Just wondering what Amex is gonna say when they lose more than half of all red cards overnight! ::)
Thank you Target!
I just found a new supply of forks!

Offline tzifanya54

• View Profile
« Reply #11146 on: October 13, 2015, 11:31:19 PM »
Customer service should be able to acces them. Maybe even send via email.

Offline tzifanya54

• View Profile
« Reply #11147 on: October 13, 2015, 11:32:34 PM »
Thank you Target!
Are u kidding? It was great for Amex. Bad for target. (Assuming that cc/dc fees are paid by target)

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #11148 on: October 13, 2015, 11:33:19 PM »
Are u kidding? It was great for Amex. Bad for target. (Assuming that cc/dc fees are paid by target)
How did Amex make money on this?

Offline tzifanya54

• View Profile
« Reply #11149 on: October 13, 2015, 11:34:06 PM »
Lots of ppl shopped with the RC.

Offline coralsnake

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #11150 on: October 13, 2015, 11:34:52 PM »
Hmmmm. Depositing millions of dollars with Amex every month not a money maker?

Please don't give me the- "it was all liquidated right away" line because it wasn't.
"Here at DansDeals we don’t do buses." -Dan

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #11151 on: October 13, 2015, 11:36:32 PM »
Hmmmm. Depositing millions of dollars with Amex every month not a money maker?

Please don't give me the- "it was all liquidated right away" line because it wasn't.
Actually it was for the cards they are going to lose.

Online etech0

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
« Reply #11152 on: October 14, 2015, 08:25:23 AM »
Aha so not red card death, nor SBS death, this has been bothering you for ages  ;)
The other things have been bothering me for less than ages :)
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Offline NoonRadar

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
How did the Target memo (official Redbird death) story break out on 10/13/15
« Reply #11153 on: October 14, 2015, 05:14:11 PM »
How did the Target memo (official Redbird death) story broke out on 10/13/15

It is not  important in the scheme of things (or maybe not at all), but I read today many blog reports about how the Target memo story broke out yesterday (Oct 13) and on most of them I'm not seeing any mention or reference/linking to my breaking news post; for that matter I'm seeing many bloggers implying on their posts that they were the ones to break the story and confirm Redbird’s death via the memo; others then refer to those posts as the one who broke the story. Which could have been justified were it not for the fact that I linked my story to many of these bloggers' threads as a comment (therefore personally told them) at least a couple of hours before any of them made any mention of the internal Target memo or the official death of Redbird via other confirmations.

I obviously wasn’t thinking at the time about buying time from when I published the story and they would also publish about it, so they couldn’t make claims, nor should I have. I wanted to spread the news as soon as I found out so most people would find out ASAP about it and stop being in limbo. I first linked my post about the Target memo as a comment on the Redbird thread here/Flyertalk (10/13/15 @ 6:53 pm EST) since I know that was the most popular Redbird thread. Shortly after I also posted on Reddit, DansDeals the various aforementioned blogs and others.

All this, as far as the timing of the posts and who published what first, is publicly verifiable by anyone who wants to look at the times when each of us posted regarding the official RB death via the memo, on Twitter and other third-party websites which we don’t own. Here’s my tweet about it, posted on Oct 13 at 7:05 pm EST: https://twitter.com/NoonRadar/status/654070358518140928. I obviously can’t assert that there’s no other earlier tweets/pots about the story, but I did look at when several well-known bloggers first posted on Twitter about it; it was hours after me.

Further, after I broke the story last night, someone who claimed to work at Target direct-messaged me on Twitter a couple of times asking for my email address about this news. I was reluctant at first but then gave him my email, he then shortly sent a group email to me and a bunch of popular MS bloggers, some of whom posted about the memo and official RB death later last night (10/13), others today (10/14).

This email was also sent to us last night (10/13) after I posted the story and before any of these bloggers posted about it: 8:41 pm EST (about 2 hours after I linked to my story on Flyertalk). On his group-email, the Target team member linked to my post saying among other things “I can unfortunately confirm that the memo NoonRader references here is 100% accurate”. He had seen the reports and had gone to the Target store where he works, looked around and saw the memo himself. He said he couldn’t send us the pic of the memo. Shortly after that, the pics of it started to be published on blogs. Grant (of Travel with Grant) replied to the same group email last night with a pic of the memo, just a few mins after the Target employee email.

A couple of hours after I broke the story last night, I didn’t have internet access for pretty much the rest of the night, plus I was otherwise engaged, so I saw the details of these emails this morning, which is when I published on my original/yesterday’s post the pic (a version of it) that Grant had emailed last night.

What baffles me about this (how the story was portrayed to have been broken and by whom) is that some of these bloggers are very reputable, so I would have not expected it from them. Also, I’m not really competition to them; I don’t yet have a blog per se (I posted the news on the website which I had primarily set up for other purposes), so I don’t get it. At first I wasn’t going to say much about it, then I kept seeing today blog post after blog post  to such effect, so it ticked me a bit; here I am venting about it (and setting the record straight, for what little that's worth).

I didn’t really expect to be the one scooping up the Target memo story and confirming Redbird’s death yesterday; it just bothered me that there was no confirmation still, so I went out visiting a couple of Target stores in the afternoon, probing managers about it until the second manager showed me the memo.

There's no doubt that the news about the memo and/or the memo itself would have surfaced out eventually; there's  too many people who used to MS with Redbird). However, being the first one (as far as I know) to have broken the memo story and then have published the news all over the MS forums, I'd like to think that I contributed something yesterday. So yeah, it doesn't seem nice or fair reading some bloggers implying they were the ones to break the story instead and/or pretending that they they didn't see my post about it or the email from the Target team member.

Maybe this was too much to expect on my part and not important at all for them to have referenced/mentioned my post. Maybe I will look at this tomorrow and think this is much ado about nothing. Now, however, it doesn't seem so to me, certainly not for bloggers who have staked their fame & success in part on their integrity.

In any case, RIP Redbird!

P.S. I know this is not helpful to anything we need to do moving forward after Redbird's death so I apologize in advance for having taken up space here as such.

For my part, later today I will write up a guide to closing Redbird and signing up for Serve and Bluebird, as well as other relevant info, as much as I know. There's many others who have posted about it already, I'm sure, just as there will be more to do so.

Offline David Smith

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #11154 on: October 14, 2015, 05:23:35 PM »
How did the Target memo (official Redbird death) story broke out on 10/13/15

It is not  important in the scheme of things (or maybe not at all), but I read today many blog reports about how the Target memo story broke out yesterday (Oct 13) and on most of them I'm not seeing any mention or reference/linking to my breaking news post; for that matter I'm seeing many bloggers implying on their posts that they were the ones to break the story and confirm Redbird’s death via the memo; others then refer to those posts as the one who broke the story. Which could have been justified were it not for the fact that I linked my story to many of these bloggers' threads as a comment (therefore personally told them) at least a couple of hours before any of them made any mention of the internal Target memo or the official death of Redbird via other confirmations.

I obviously wasn’t thinking at the time about buying time from when I published the story and they would also publish about it, so they couldn’t make claims, nor should I have. I wanted to spread the news as soon as I found out so most people would find out ASAP about it and stop being in limbo. I first linked my post about the Target memo as a comment on the Redbird thread here/Flyertalk (10/13/15 @ 6:53 pm EST) since I know that was the most popular Redbird thread. Shortly after I also posted on Reddit, DansDeals the various aforementioned blogs and others.

All this, as far as the timing of the posts and who published what first, is publicly verifiable by anyone who wants to look at the times when each of us posted regarding the official RB death via the memo, on Twitter and other third-party websites which we don’t own. Here’s my tweet about it, posted on Oct 13 at 7:05 pm EST: https://twitter.com/NoonRadar/status/654070358518140928. I obviously can’t assert that there’s no other earlier tweets/pots about the story, but I did look at when several well-known bloggers first posted on Twitter about it; it was hours after me.

Further, after I broke the story last night, someone who claimed to work at Target direct-messaged me on Twitter a couple of times asking for my email address about this news. I was reluctant at first but then gave him my email, he then shortly sent a group email to me and a bunch of popular MS bloggers, some of whom posted about the memo and official RB death later last night (10/13), others today (10/14).

This email was also sent to us last night (10/13) after I posted the story and before any of these bloggers posted about it: 8:41 pm EST (about 2 hours after I linked to my story on Flyertalk). On his group-email, the Target team member linked to my post saying among other things “I can unfortunately confirm that the memo NoonRader references here is 100% accurate”. He had seen the reports and had gone to the Target store where he works, looked around and saw the memo himself. He said he couldn’t send us the pic of the memo. Shortly after that, the pics of it started to be published on blogs. Grant (of Travel with Grant) replied to the same group email last night with a pic of the memo, just a few mins after the Target employee email.

A couple of hours after I broke the story last night, I didn’t have internet access for pretty much the rest of the night, plus I was otherwise engaged, so I saw the details of these emails this morning, which is when I published on my original/yesterday’s post the pic (a version of it) that Grant had emailed last night.

What baffles me about this (how the story was portrayed to have been broken and by whom) is that some of these bloggers are very reputable, so I would have not expected it from them. Also, I’m not really competition to them; I don’t yet have a blog per se (I posted the news on the website which I had primarily set up for other purposes), so I don’t get it. At first I wasn’t going to say much about it, then I kept seeing today blog post after blog post  to such effect, so it ticked me a bit; here I am venting about it (and setting the record straight, for what little that's worth).

I didn’t really expect to be the one scooping up the Target memo story and confirming Redbird’s death yesterday; it just bothered me that there was no confirmation still, so I went out visiting a couple of Target stores in the afternoon, probing managers about it until the second manager showed me the memo.

There's no doubt that the news about the memo and/or the memo itself would have surfaced out eventually; there's  too many people who used to MS with Redbird). However, being the first one (as far as I know) to have broken the memo story and then have published the news all over the MS forums, I'd like to think that I contributed something yesterday. So yeah, it doesn't seem nice or fair reading some bloggers implying they were the ones to break the story instead and/or pretending that they they didn't see my post about it or the email from the Target team member.

Maybe this was too much to expect on my part and not important at all for them to have referenced/mentioned my post. Maybe I will look at this tomorrow and think this is much ado about nothing. Now, however, it doesn't seem so to me, certainly not for bloggers who have staked their fame & success in part on their integrity.

For my part, later today I will write up a guide to closing Redbird and signing up for Serve and Bluebird, as well as other relevant info, as much as I know. There's many others who have posted about it already, I'm sure, just as there will be more to do so.
Couldn't you just have written that on your blog and posted a link here? You're taking up space.   You were first. Now you feel good? What are you driving at? You want a hat tip? I'm sure many people have relationships with the staff at Target, you think you're the only one who was privy to the memo? Chill out.
Who do you think you are fooling? You think you are going to pull a quick one on your Creator? Good luck with that.
JTZ

Offline lunatic

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #11155 on: October 14, 2015, 05:29:47 PM »
Ftr,  fm did mention you

Offline rileywiles23

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #11156 on: October 14, 2015, 05:35:11 PM »
OK. Thank you noon radar for being the first person to bring us the bad news, that RC is dead. 
Life is as good as you make it...

Offline kenme1

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #11157 on: October 14, 2015, 05:37:24 PM »
Noonradar needs some affirmation that he broke the news, so is the life of a narcissist.
Why yes, I am a point/mile whore!

Offline Markmann20

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
    • THE BUYING GROUP W/ COST & ABOVE COST DEALS
« Reply #11158 on: October 14, 2015, 05:39:07 PM »
According to store manager It's killed for good according to the paper in stores with no chance of coming back
WWW.BuyingGroup.COM

Offline David Smith

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #11159 on: October 14, 2015, 05:40:15 PM »
That's a real troll, posting something you know people will get upset about just to elicit reactions. We were sticking up for you yesterday, but seriously...
Who do you think you are fooling? You think you are going to pull a quick one on your Creator? Good luck with that.
JTZ