Topic Wiki

Since October 12, 2015, the prepaid REDcard (Redbird) can only be loaded at Target with cash. It can still be loaded online with a bank-issued debit card, up to $200/day and $1K/month.

Therefore, for MS (manufactured spending) Redbird is now considered dead. RIP!

Author Topic: The Target Prepaid REDcard  (Read 1892011 times)

Offline Jeremiah

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: The Target Prepaid REDcard
« Reply #220 on: October 23, 2014, 10:59:11 AM »
I am having some difficulty with registering my new Target RedCard PrePaid.  I'm hoping someone can help me, and maybe this will be useful data point for others.

I purchased the (temporary) card at a MA Target yesterday. $5 fee.  Loaded it with $500 from a Chase CC.  The purchase of the temporary card required them to scan my driver's license, which brought up my name and address.  I entered my real birthdate but entered my social security # off by one digit.  (not sure that was a good or bad idea, but it didn't seem to matter at the time.). 

After I got the card home, I went online to register it.  I entered the card number, the 4-digit security code, and my birthdate.  It found my account, prepopulated with my name, address and birthdate.  I changed all the information to my wife's information.  I got to the end and submitted the information to register.  It gave me the error that "you have a BlueBird account and can't have both."  I then had my wife cancel her BlueBird by phone with the BlueBird agent, and her BlueBird account seems closed (I have checked online, but she never got the email that Dan mentioned he got).  I tried to register it again for her, but it still says she has Blue Bird.

So, I'm wondering if the RedCard is actually seeing MY BlueBird account and preventing the registration on that basis?  It seems unlikely, because I never entered my real Social into RedCard.  I called RedCard people and they say you can't switch information from what is entered in the store...but that flies in the face of what I'm reading online, so I suspect the CSA is wrong.

I may be stuck with this temporary card and need to just unload it and start over with a new RedCard for my wife (having her accompany me to target so they can scan her DL).  I know Dan says he has never had to show ID, but that seems not to be the case in MA.  I wonder what would happen if I said I didn't have a DL?

I hope this is helpful.  If anyone has suggestions, please fire away, but I think I'll just need to start over.
--Zow
Usually just waiting a bit after canceling BB or just registering it again will do the trick. I have a BB under my name and was able to buy 2 temps and register them for others w/o a problem.

Offline DoGo

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: October 23, 2014, 11:21:38 AM »
I am having some difficulty with registering my new Target RedCard PrePaid.BlueBird...
--Zow
When people were switching from BB to serve I know people were having issues even after closing their BB account, so maybe this is the same type of thing.
This may help;
The Bluebird/Serve/Red Card system does not allow any phone #/Email to be associated with 2 accounts.
Call BlueBird and ask them to REMOVE the phone # and email from the records (you can tell them why).

Offline rots5

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
    • Custom Cakes for Every Occassion
« Reply #222 on: October 23, 2014, 11:24:46 AM »
most of BOS was sold out yest :(

i def would have picked up as many as i can...
If you have any questions please search and then ask. PM me for detailed help.

Offline casualchurner

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: October 23, 2014, 11:24:55 AM »
Just got an offer in the mail for AMEX Plat 100K. Was looking at the T&C and in there it said:

"The following charges do NOT count towards the Threshold Amount..........purchases or reloading of prepaid cards."

Does that mean that reloading a REDcard won't count towards the spend threshold??

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: October 23, 2014, 11:49:12 AM »
most of BOS was sold out yest :(

i def would have picked up as many as i can...
Don't come back empty handed. A lot of people are relying on you.

Offline rots5

• View Profile
« Reply #225 on: October 23, 2014, 12:06:46 PM »
Don't come back empty handed. A lot of people are relying on you.
i am back... lol. I hd a friend call every target on the list as i drove by a few of them, and a lot of them were out of stock.

was stuck in the airport most of the night. (flight was cancelled, then delayed, then delayed again....) got home at 1 am

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: October 23, 2014, 12:11:16 PM »
i am back... lol. I hd a friend call every target on the list as i drove by a few of them, and a lot of them were out of stock.

was stuck in the airport most of the night. (flight was cancelled, then delayed, then delayed again....) got home at 1 am
Did you get anything ?

Offline rots5

• View Profile
« Reply #227 on: October 23, 2014, 12:14:11 PM »
Did you get anything ?
no. if i got myself i promise you would have one too then :D

Offline sam i am

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: October 23, 2014, 12:32:07 PM »
I am having some difficulty with registering my new Target RedCard PrePaid.  I'm hoping someone can help me, and maybe this will be useful data point for others.

I purchased the (temporary) card at a MA Target yesterday. $5 fee.  Loaded it with $500 from a Chase CC.  The purchase of the temporary card required them to scan my driver's license, which brought up my name and address.  I entered my real birthdate but entered my social security # off by one digit.  (not sure that was a good or bad idea, but it didn't seem to matter at the time.). 

After I got the card home, I went online to register it.  I entered the card number, the 4-digit security code, and my birthdate.  It found my account, prepopulated with my name, address and birthdate.  I changed all the information to my wife's information.  I got to the end and submitted the information to register.  It gave me the error that "you have a BlueBird account and can't have both."  I then had my wife cancel her BlueBird by phone with the BlueBird agent, and her BlueBird account seems closed (I have checked online, but she never got the email that Dan mentioned he got).  I tried to register it again for her, but it still says she has Blue Bird.

So, I'm wondering if the RedCard is actually seeing MY BlueBird account and preventing the registration on that basis?  It seems unlikely, because I never entered my real Social into RedCard.  I called RedCard people and they say you can't switch information from what is entered in the store...but that flies in the face of what I'm reading online, so I suspect the CSA is wrong.

I may be stuck with this temporary card and need to just unload it and start over with a new RedCard for my wife (having her accompany me to target so they can scan her DL).  I know Dan says he has never had to show ID, but that seems not to be the case in MA.  I wonder what would happen if I said I didn't have a DL?

I hope this is helpful.  If anyone has suggestions, please fire away, but I think I'll just need to start over.
--Zow
Maybe try registering again, but use a different email address (one which isn't associated with any bb or serve account).

Offline zow

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: October 23, 2014, 12:42:53 PM »
Maybe try registering again, but use a different email address (one which isn't associated with any bb or serve account).
A good suggestion, so I tried, but did not work.

Offline Dr Moose

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: October 23, 2014, 12:43:41 PM »
they only let me take one, I begged and pleaded to no avail
Hey there! I am using DansDeals Forums.

Offline zow

• View Profile
« Reply #231 on: October 23, 2014, 12:47:56 PM »
This may help;
The Bluebird/Serve/Red Card system does not allow any phone #/Email to be associated with 2 accounts.
Call BlueBird and ask them to REMOVE the phone # and email from the records (you can tell them why).

Good suggestion, but I am reluctant to call BlueBird myself and need my wife to do it, and she is getting kind of annoyed with me asking her to keep calling! (Shalom bayit must prevail.)

But, I did try to register using novel phone and e-mail, and still no luck, so it must be something related to her BlueBird not being fully closed.

Offline Redbull3

• View Profile
  • Programs: Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #232 on: October 23, 2014, 12:52:26 PM »
Good suggestion, but I am reluctant to call BlueBird myself and need my wife to do it, and she is getting kind of annoyed with me asking her to keep calling! (Shalom bayit must prevail.)

But, I did try to register using novel phone and e-mail, and still no luck, so it must be something related to her BlueBird not being fully closed.

I posted this elsewhere, but you can close bluebird online by being logged in and clicking here or copying/pasting this link. I would just go through this process to be sure. https://secure.bluebird.com/Profile/CloseAccount

PS - I can totally relate to the bolded part :)

Offline zow

• View Profile
« Reply #233 on: October 23, 2014, 01:53:58 PM »
I posted this elsewhere, but you can close bluebird online by being logged in and clicking here or copying/pasting this link. I would just go through this process to be sure. https://secure.bluebird.com/Profile/CloseAccount

Hi, and thank you.  ;)

The account was already closed , but I tried your trick, and it gave me a dialogue box to confirm I wanted to close it, asked for  reason, and I then proceeded, and got new splash screen saying it's closed (with a  :'(). 

So now back to register the RedCard, but it seems their website is down?

Many thanks.

Offline DoGo

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: October 23, 2014, 02:39:55 PM »
need my wife to do it, and she is getting kind of annoyed with me asking her to keep calling! (Shalom bayit must prevail.)

Your not treating her out with enough of the perks you can get for the miles!!

Offline noturbizniss

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: October 23, 2014, 03:12:56 PM »

Seems to work with serve as well just change it to serve https://secure.serve.com/Profile/CloseAccount
READ THE DARN WIKI!!!!

Chuck Norris...
...can still do FT method
...READS THE WIKI!!!

Offline bb1836

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 154
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: October 23, 2014, 03:39:35 PM »
Anyone care to start a wiki?
As @davidmal says: "Likes" feed the family

Offline noturbizniss

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: October 23, 2014, 03:39:54 PM »
Anyone care to start a wiki?
Go for it!
READ THE DARN WIKI!!!!

Chuck Norris...
...can still do FT method
...READS THE WIKI!!!

Offline zow

• View Profile
« Reply #238 on: October 23, 2014, 03:43:56 PM »
Your not treating her out with enough of the perks you can get for the miles!!
Already planning a trip to Europe next summer and reserved Park Hyatt Paris Vendome for 6 nights with points ... not enough? :-\

Offline zow

• View Profile
« Reply #239 on: October 23, 2014, 03:45:43 PM »
Hi, and thank you.  ;)

The account was already closed , but I tried your trick, and it gave me a dialogue box to confirm I wanted to close it, asked for  reason, and I then proceeded, and got new splash screen saying it's closed (with a  :'(). 

So now back to register the RedCard, but it seems their website is down?

Many thanks.

Update:
Well, I tried again to register the RedCard, but no dice.  Same message at the end.  Thanks for the help, though.