Topic Wiki

Since October 12, 2015, the prepaid REDcard (Redbird) can only be loaded at Target with cash. It can still be loaded online with a bank-issued debit card, up to $200/day and $1K/month.

Therefore, for MS (manufactured spending) Redbird is now considered dead. RIP!

Author Topic: The Target Prepaid REDcard  (Read 1176823 times)

Offline username

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
  • Programs: ┌──────────────────┐ │───> Ữ₴ΣЯИΛΜӘ <─── │ └──────────────────┘
Re: The Target Prepaid REDcard
« Reply #1515 on: December 03, 2014, 10:52:44 AM »
You can do up to $1500 in $500 per day/swipe on the temp card.
on day 2 you can swipe $1000

From Dan's post
10/15: On Wednesday I went back to Target and now that the temporary card was registered and had a pin I was able to load another $1,000 onto the card from my credit card. There was no fee. I tried to load more but it was rejected.
^^^

Offline CS1

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • California Gourmet Premium Chocolate
  • Programs: DDSLA, DDSCLE, BonvoyPlat Feb2021
« Reply #1516 on: December 03, 2014, 11:02:26 AM »
on day 2 you can swipe $1000
From Dan's post

OK - good to know! I wrote $500per swipe -- figuring that on Day 2 they can do 2 $500 swipes. Yes, if $1000 can be done at once that's great,
however they do not let you access or send money until the perm card has arrived, correct?
Amazon Prime Calif Gourmet Chocolate Chips http://bit.ly/FREEoneDayShipping3PKChocolateChips

Offline noturbizniss

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1517 on: December 03, 2014, 11:06:45 AM »
So I just got one of these things from ebay. Do I have to register the card online and wait for a permanent one to come in the mail before I can start to load funds to the card?
Do NOT register online first!! Many have reported upthread that doing that kills the card.
CS1 nailed the way to go.

Read the wiki too. Lot of good stuff in there.
the way to activate the temp card is to bring it to Target today - along with your license - and swipe up to $500 with any credit card.
Then you go home/office and register for the perm card online. You can do up to $1500 in $500 per day/swipe on the temp card.
READ THE DARN WIKI!!!!

Chuck Norris...
...can still do FT method
...READS THE WIKI!!!

Offline hvaces42

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #1518 on: December 03, 2014, 11:13:27 AM »
well said, can we have this last longer than VR's??!!
I'm just curious is there any fear that amex (or target) will turn this into a cash load card only? I personally doubt it. It would kill the product and wouldnt justify the loading restrictions other than for money laundering purposes.
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline CS1

• View Profile
« Reply #1519 on: December 03, 2014, 11:15:06 AM »
Do NOT register online first!! Many have reported upthread that doing that kills the card.

Thank you for your vote of confidence.  :) ....And keep the card package sealed! Another way to save yourself 10 days of your life is to make sure that you already have a $0.00 in your bluebird and then cancel your bluebird and/or serve prior to registering....
Amazon Prime Calif Gourmet Chocolate Chips http://bit.ly/FREEoneDayShipping3PKChocolateChips

Offline cozmohoot

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1520 on: December 03, 2014, 11:18:56 AM »
I'm just curious is there any fear that amex (or target) will turn this into a cash load card only? I personally doubt it. It would kill the product and wouldnt justify the loading restrictions other than for money laundering purposes.
of course it may get switched to cash only. just do everyone a favor and take it easy on the loading since we dont want extra attention drawn.
my wife just was at flatbush/H and they said debit card only. she said thanks and walked out

Offline CS1

• View Profile
« Reply #1521 on: December 03, 2014, 11:22:23 AM »
of course it may get switched to cash only. just do everyone a favor and take it easy on the loading since we dont want extra attention drawn.
my wife just was at flatbush/H and they said debit card only. she said thanks and walked out
+1
exactly! If we all stick to that (and be friendly; we can still try another place/check-out lane) then it will last longer. If these cost us an OD/cvs visit and $5.95 for every $200 card, then that will take away most of the current perks..

Offline A3

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1522 on: December 03, 2014, 11:23:48 AM »
And... Cant log on again, just says processing. Oh well

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #1523 on: December 03, 2014, 11:24:50 AM »
Well I'm in MA today and I will see what they say here. I've tried Flatbush, Erskine and Green Acres so far. Flatbush had good CS that didn't say anything. Erskine limited me to 5k total loads. Green Acres had no problem either. Lets see what happens today.

As a side question, if I load from one redcard to another, while not getting point, do I get 5% off.
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #1524 on: December 03, 2014, 11:28:56 AM »
+1
exactly! If we all stick to that (and be friendly; we can still try another place/check-out lane) then it will last longer. If these cost us an OD/cvs visit and $5.95 for every $200 card, then that will take away most of the current perks..
Im always courteous and I take no for an answer on the first shot. I dont have a Chase card but per Dan the math works for those that do even at 5.95 per $200. Ive found that everyday amex spend at shoprite with $500 loadable gcs for 5.95 are also economical. There are many ways to skin this cat and still make it work without cc loading. So keep calm and MS.

Offline NYHeel

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1525 on: December 03, 2014, 11:41:36 AM »
So If I use the Visa gift cards from Staples to load in Target it seems like you would need a whole bunch of cards to hit the daily limit of $2,500. Are you guys really coming in with 10-12 visa gift cards or just doing about 2-3 at a time?

Offline lunatic

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #1526 on: December 03, 2014, 11:44:15 AM »
So If I use the Visa gift cards from Staples to load in Target it seems like you would need a whole bunch of cards to hit the daily limit of $2,500. Are you guys really coming in with 10-12 visa gift cards or just doing about 2-3 at a time?
2 or 3. And putting the rest on cc

Offline NYHeel

• View Profile
« Reply #1527 on: December 03, 2014, 11:45:08 AM »

Got it. I'll go to Target first. Do I need to activate in the Customer Service part of the store or is a regular cashier line ok?

Offline NYHeel

• View Profile
« Reply #1528 on: December 03, 2014, 12:16:58 PM »
Im always courteous and I take no for an answer on the first shot. I dont have a Chase card but per Dan the math works for those that do even at 5.95 per $200. Ive found that everyday amex spend at shoprite with $500 loadable gcs for 5.95 are also economical. There are many ways to skin this cat and still make it work without cc loading. So keep calm and MS.
Using the $500 gift card from a supermarket with the everyday preferred seems much better than the $200 gift cards from Staples with the ink. You get 3 extra points via Everyday Preferred vs. 4 for the Ink but the the $500 vs. $200 more than makes up for that. The problem is that I'm going to hit the $6k spend on supermarkets on my own without having to manufacture additional spending.

Online etech0

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
« Reply #1529 on: December 03, 2014, 12:18:37 PM »
Using the $500 gift card from a supermarket with the everyday preferred seems much better than the $200 gift cards from Staples with the ink. You get 3 extra points via Everyday Preferred vs. 4 for the Ink but the the $500 vs. $200 more than makes up for that. The problem is that I'm going to hit the $6k spend on supermarkets on my own without having to manufacture additional spending.
You can always get another everyday preferred for a spouse/other relative. You'll just end up paying another annual fee.
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.