Topic Wiki

Since October 12, 2015, the prepaid REDcard (Redbird) can only be loaded at Target with cash. It can still be loaded online with a bank-issued debit card, up to $200/day and $1K/month.

Therefore, for MS (manufactured spending) Redbird is now considered dead. RIP!

Author Topic: The Target Prepaid REDcard  (Read 1891688 times)

Offline cozmohoot

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Re: The Target Prepaid REDcard
« Reply #1520 on: December 03, 2014, 11:18:56 AM »
I'm just curious is there any fear that amex (or target) will turn this into a cash load card only? I personally doubt it. It would kill the product and wouldnt justify the loading restrictions other than for money laundering purposes.
of course it may get switched to cash only. just do everyone a favor and take it easy on the loading since we dont want extra attention drawn.
my wife just was at flatbush/H and they said debit card only. she said thanks and walked out

Offline CS1

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • California Gourmet Premium Chocolate
  • Programs: DDSLA, DDSCLE, Bonvoy Titanium Feb 2025
« Reply #1521 on: December 03, 2014, 11:22:23 AM »
of course it may get switched to cash only. just do everyone a favor and take it easy on the loading since we dont want extra attention drawn.
my wife just was at flatbush/H and they said debit card only. she said thanks and walked out
+1
exactly! If we all stick to that (and be friendly; we can still try another place/check-out lane) then it will last longer. If these cost us an OD/cvs visit and $5.95 for every $200 card, then that will take away most of the current perks..
California Gourmet Belgian Nut-Free Chocolate Chips https://bit.ly/CaliforniaGourmetDirect

Offline A3

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1522 on: December 03, 2014, 11:23:48 AM »
And... Cant log on again, just says processing. Oh well

Offline hvaces42

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #1523 on: December 03, 2014, 11:24:50 AM »
Well I'm in MA today and I will see what they say here. I've tried Flatbush, Erskine and Green Acres so far. Flatbush had good CS that didn't say anything. Erskine limited me to 5k total loads. Green Acres had no problem either. Lets see what happens today.

As a side question, if I load from one redcard to another, while not getting point, do I get 5% off.
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #1524 on: December 03, 2014, 11:28:56 AM »
+1
exactly! If we all stick to that (and be friendly; we can still try another place/check-out lane) then it will last longer. If these cost us an OD/cvs visit and $5.95 for every $200 card, then that will take away most of the current perks..
Im always courteous and I take no for an answer on the first shot. I dont have a Chase card but per Dan the math works for those that do even at 5.95 per $200. Ive found that everyday amex spend at shoprite with $500 loadable gcs for 5.95 are also economical. There are many ways to skin this cat and still make it work without cc loading. So keep calm and MS.
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline NYHeel

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1525 on: December 03, 2014, 11:41:36 AM »
So If I use the Visa gift cards from Staples to load in Target it seems like you would need a whole bunch of cards to hit the daily limit of $2,500. Are you guys really coming in with 10-12 visa gift cards or just doing about 2-3 at a time?

Offline lunatic

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #1526 on: December 03, 2014, 11:44:15 AM »
So If I use the Visa gift cards from Staples to load in Target it seems like you would need a whole bunch of cards to hit the daily limit of $2,500. Are you guys really coming in with 10-12 visa gift cards or just doing about 2-3 at a time?
2 or 3. And putting the rest on cc

Offline NYHeel

• View Profile
« Reply #1527 on: December 03, 2014, 11:45:08 AM »
Do NOT register online first!! Many have reported upthread that doing that kills the card.
CS1 nailed the way to go.

Read the wiki too. Lot of good stuff in there.
Got it. I'll go to Target first. Do I need to activate in the Customer Service part of the store or is a regular cashier line ok?

Offline NYHeel

• View Profile
« Reply #1528 on: December 03, 2014, 12:16:58 PM »
Im always courteous and I take no for an answer on the first shot. I dont have a Chase card but per Dan the math works for those that do even at 5.95 per $200. Ive found that everyday amex spend at shoprite with $500 loadable gcs for 5.95 are also economical. There are many ways to skin this cat and still make it work without cc loading. So keep calm and MS.
Using the $500 gift card from a supermarket with the everyday preferred seems much better than the $200 gift cards from Staples with the ink. You get 3 extra points via Everyday Preferred vs. 4 for the Ink but the the $500 vs. $200 more than makes up for that. The problem is that I'm going to hit the $6k spend on supermarkets on my own without having to manufacture additional spending.

Online etech0

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
« Reply #1529 on: December 03, 2014, 12:18:37 PM »
Using the $500 gift card from a supermarket with the everyday preferred seems much better than the $200 gift cards from Staples with the ink. You get 3 extra points via Everyday Preferred vs. 4 for the Ink but the the $500 vs. $200 more than makes up for that. The problem is that I'm going to hit the $6k spend on supermarkets on my own without having to manufacture additional spending.
You can always get another everyday preferred for a spouse/other relative. You'll just end up paying another annual fee.
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Offline AnonymousUser

• View Profile
« Reply #1530 on: December 03, 2014, 01:40:25 PM »

As a side question, if I load from one redcard to another, while not getting point, do I get 5% off.

No.
Got it. I'll go to Target first. Do I need to activate in the Customer Service part of the store or is a regular cashier line ok?
Either one.

Offline noturbizniss

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1531 on: December 03, 2014, 01:47:38 PM »
I just did my daily 2500 load, First 1K was 1K load split betwean 3 $200 GC and rest on CC.  It was totally painless, the CS girl had no issue whatsoever. I could have done them all with the GC, she just had to type them in. Only issue is the time and maybe getting people behind you pissed. Next time I go, i;ll probably do 1K straight up on GC, and if there's no one behind me maybe more.
One thing I did notice that made it easier is that with split transaction you only need to sign the first time.
READ THE DARN WIKI!!!!

Chuck Norris...
...can still do FT method
...READS THE WIKI!!!

Offline username

• View Profile
  • Programs: ┌──────────────────┐ │───> Ữ₴ΣЯИΛΜӘ <─── │ └──────────────────┘
« Reply #1532 on: December 03, 2014, 01:48:24 PM »
Do I need to activate in the Customer Service part of the store or is a regular cashier line ok?
for loads i have better mazal at the regular checkouts. The CS sometime make up stuff about max loads or debit cards.
^^^

Offline noturbizniss

• View Profile
« Reply #1533 on: December 03, 2014, 01:56:32 PM »
for loads i have better mazal at the regular checkouts. The CS sometime make up stuff about max loads or debit cards.
haha, and in my target the cashiers always were clueless, and eventually the floor manager said they arent trained for it and I need to go to customer service. I do every time and they are great. No questions asked. Also helps that I think it;s just me and one other woman who goes there (they keep mentioned a woman who tried to load 5K in one shot).
READ THE DARN WIKI!!!!

Chuck Norris...
...READS THE WIKI!!!

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #1534 on: December 03, 2014, 01:57:58 PM »
just  completed my daily load 10kin Millbury Massachusetts. Cashier was more than wonderful. Told HerI was getting a free Vacation from american express for doing this.

Offline Maxdeck123

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: December 03, 2014, 02:03:10 PM »
Im going to try my luck here... would anyone like to get me a redcard if your coming to new York and Ill pay you the cost of the card? Please.

Anyone have extra cards in NY willing to pay plus pick-u/ anything to get my hands on one (or a few ;))

Offline username

• View Profile
  • Programs: ┌──────────────────┐ │───> Ữ₴ΣЯИΛΜӘ <─── │ └──────────────────┘
« Reply #1536 on: December 03, 2014, 02:10:22 PM »
just  completed my daily load 10kin Millbury Massachusetts. Cashier was more than wonderful. Told HerI was getting a free Vacation from american express for doing this.
I tell them that i love the 5% off Target.
^^^

Offline ckmk47

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: December 03, 2014, 02:15:18 PM »
Anyone have extra cards in NY willing to pay plus pick-u/ anything to get my hands on one (or a few ;) )
http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=45909.msg985538#msg985538
My favorite cause: cssy.org

Offline lunatic

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #1538 on: December 03, 2014, 02:17:33 PM »
I just did my daily 2500 load, First 1K was 1K load split betwean 3 $200 GC and rest on CC.  It was totally painless, the CS girl had no issue whatsoever. I could have done them all with the GC, she just had to type them in. Only issue is the time and maybe getting people behind you pissed. Next time I go, i;ll probably do 1K straight up on GC, and if there's no one behind me maybe more.
One thing I did notice that made it easier is that with split transaction you only need to sign the first time.
Can you clarify what you told her? Did you say 1k and then swipe a 200 vgc

Offline noturbizniss

• View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: December 03, 2014, 04:53:44 PM »
Can you clarify what you told her? Did you say 1k and then swipe a 200 vgc
Gave her the red card said I want to load 1K, she said OK, added it, and I swiped the GC, didn't say anything to her. It asked for  pin, but said puch cancel for credit, i did, then i selected credit, then it asked me to sign (said agree to pay the 1K - standard stuff), I signed, curious to see what happens, she asked for card, put in last 4, it went through and said balance $800. I did next 2, same thing except no sign, just press OK on the "sign screen", and she did last 4 of each, then regular CC as usual.
READ THE DARN WIKI!!!!

Chuck Norris...
...READS THE WIKI!!!