Author Topic: Hard or soft luggage?  (Read 2171 times)

Offline noturbizniss

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
Hard or soft luggage?
« on: October 19, 2014, 06:39:31 PM »
Thinking of getting one of the sets from costco here http://www.costco.com/luggage-sets.html (are these good deals)?  NEver had decent luggage, so i figure ill finally get some.  Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on hard vs soft suitcases, as well as duffel style?
READ THE DARN WIKI!!!!

Chuck Norris...
...can still do FT method
...READS THE WIKI!!!

Offline mokellman

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Hard or soft luggage?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2014, 08:46:48 PM »
I got a hard set from costco too. It was similar to this one http://www.costco.com/Samsonite-Silver-2-piece-Polycarbonate-Hardside-Spinner-Set.product.100116082.html
I love the way it looks and how smooth it rolls with 50 lbs. I still have the set and love it but some pointers.
With a hard set you don't get outside pockets, it could get scratched. The one I got has 2 compartments on the inside. One that closes with a zipper and one that doesn't. It took some time for me to learn which side is down without all my objects flying out.
Also, for the smaller carry on, you should be fine flying domestic. It will fit on top despite what people tell you. I don't know about international flights. I've read reviews of people having to check in their carry on.
You also have to add a string or some kind of tag to know it is your bag. I thought my bag was so cool and different. Low and behold, someone on a recent flight had the same one as me.
Overall, I love my Samsonite and lifetime warranty at Costco  ;)

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2014, 09:20:34 PM »
I got a hard set from costco too. It was similar to this one http://www.costco.com/Samsonite-Silver-2-piece-Polycarbonate-Hardside-Spinner-Set.product.100116082.html
I love the way it looks and how smooth it rolls with 50 lbs. I still have the set and love it but some pointers.
With a hard set you don't get outside pockets, it could get scratched. The one I got has 2 compartments on the inside. One that closes with a zipper and one that doesn't. It took some time for me to learn which side is down without all my objects flying out.
Also, for the smaller carry on, you should be fine flying domestic. It will fit on top despite what people tell you. I don't know about international flights. I've read reviews of people having to check in their carry on.
You also have to add a string or some kind of tag to know it is your bag. I thought my bag was so cool and different. Low and behold, someone on a recent flight had the same one as me.
Overall, I love my Samsonite and lifetime warranty at Costco  ;)
Do the hard ones dent ?

Offline mokellman

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2014, 09:23:40 PM »
Do the hard ones dent ?
Not my samsonite polycarbonate suitcases. My soft ones were smashed by the airlines. 

Offline philbenjoe

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz Gold, Avis Prefered
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 06:07:11 AM »
They could dent with time...also they're really good cause they don't weight much. Overall better than soft type. It is different cause the suitcase opens in the middle(vs soft at the top..)Which is something to get used to.
"Why fit in when you were born to stand out?" Dr Seuss

Offline ushdadude

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2014, 10:17:58 AM »
can you fit more in a soft?

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2014, 10:20:27 AM »
can you fit more in a soft?
Some soft ones have a zipper going all around it that when opened you get an extra inch or 2.