Author Topic: Kollel Budgeting  (Read 42608 times)

Offline YOSEF

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16
    • View Profile
Re: Kollel Budgeting
« Reply #120 on: October 31, 2014, 12:50:21 AM »
Clothing.
Maternity clothing, Bsha Tova (really adds up).
Vacation.
Parking.
Home repairs.
Home items (from light bulbs and shabbos candles to toiletries to plastic dishes to Air conditioners to over the counter medication etc etc) THIS IS BIG.
What I can "Costco" (Paper towels/tissues/garbage bags etc)
Parking tickets.
Purim itself can be a few hundred (assuming all other YT is by parents and in laws).

Offline Tuna Baygel

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 31, 2014, 05:53:46 AM »
That's support in my book...

Clothing (unless you guys are simple in that area)...

Also there are 52 weeks in a year, not 48, so keep that in mind with your grocery section (said another way, there are 4 months with 5 weeks in them).

In any event don't forget to save a little each month. Even 50 bucks. There is always something that will come up requiring a bit of cash like emergency lock smith/plumbing, driving/parking tickets, and gd knows what else.

Good luck!! :)
Wow!

Clothing-we just got married and like any new couple when we were engaged spent most of the time shopping

Cell phones-I am sure that you would go next week to Kollel and call yourself "supported" because your cell phone bill is taken care of!

Again I have $409 left over each month which should take care of your grocery chesbon and more then $50 in savings

Good luck!!  :)

« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 05:57:32 AM by Tuna Baygel »

Offline chuchem

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 31, 2014, 06:09:57 AM »
First off your fail to post costs, I guarantee that the total is closer to 70 than 35.
Second, I'm not in kollel and don't "expect" London broil. Although I don't think spending a little extra for shabbos is going overboard. 

I think you are wrong. Make a cheshbon and if you really want you can do it
I didnt say its called going overboard, but you can have a nice shabbes without it

Its just a change and I am included with todays generation. Peeople used to live of the bare minimum, that were in kollel. Today we expect more.... Go to Kiryat sefer and see how you can live happy with less. People dont have the "chuznik" attitude of this is a given and normal. They dont have parents, that can help with 100 dollars a month even, so the manage bh well.

Offline Sport

• View Profile
Kollel Budgeting
« Reply #123 on: October 31, 2014, 09:37:24 AM »
I think you are wrong. Make a cheshbon and if you really want you can do it
I didnt say its called going overboard, but you can have a nice shabbes without it

Its just a change and I am included with todays generation. Peeople used to live of the bare minimum, that were in kollel. Today we expect more.... Go to Kiryat sefer and see how you can live happy with less. People dont have the "chuznik" attitude of this is a given and normal. They dont have parents, that can help with 100 dollars a month even, so the manage bh well.
No, your wrong :P
I think you, and perhaps others here, are misunderstanding my original post. I'm not advocating people buying London broil for shabbos. My point was that I agree with others That $70 is the normal cost of food for shabbos. But I want to see what others spend their money on. I still maintain that $13 for London broil, while not buying deli , chicken cutlets and ingredients for potato kugel, will come out to similar costs. Until someone provides actual numbers.
Also, I'm surprised no one jumped on the $10 for fish. ThTs where I really thought I spend a more than the average.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 09:55:18 AM by Sport »

Offline Redbull3

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #124 on: October 31, 2014, 09:52:10 AM »
I'm sure this is all subjective but imo london broil is a mid-priced option, if I were looking to cite an expensive example I'd go with brisket.

Offline ahecht37

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 31, 2014, 09:55:48 AM »
i think 70 for a shabbos is reasonable. can someone get away with less, i think so

Offline Sport

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 31, 2014, 09:56:10 AM »

I'm sure this is all subjective but imo london broil is a mid-priced option, if I were looking to cite an expensive example I'd go with brisket.
Agreed, London broil is one of the cheapest cuts of meat.

Online skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 31, 2014, 10:22:35 AM »
No, your wrong :P
I think you, and perhaps others here, are misunderstanding my original post. I'm not advocating people buying London broil for shabbos. My point was that I agree with others That $70 is the normal cost of food for shabbos. But I want to see what others spend their money on. I still maintain that $13 for London broil, while not buying deli , chicken cutlets and ingredients for potato kugel, will come out to similar costs. Until someone provides actual numbers.
Also, I'm surprised no one jumped on the $10 for fish. ThTs where I really thought I spend a more than the average.
That was actually the one that jumped out at me when I first made my comment that your numbers look high. FWIW, my wife estimated $40 per Shabbos, but hasn't had the time to break it down.

Offline Sport

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 31, 2014, 10:29:00 AM »

That was actually the one that jumped out at me when I first made my comment that your numbers look high. FWIW, my wife estimated $40 per Shabbos, but hasn't had the time to break it down.
The truth is $10 for fish is on the higher end; that's the cost if I buy fresh. But when/if I'm trying to budget I buy frozen for about $4-5.
If you get a chance to break down what you buy and prices I would like to see that.

Offline Name Changed

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Avis Presidents Club, National Executive Elite, Hertz Presidents Circle, Sixt Platinum, SPG Gold, eBay Platinum
« Reply #129 on: October 31, 2014, 10:36:54 AM »
This thread is going a little in circles estimating the cost of Shabbos.

I still find $70 to be a very reasonable cost, and obviously it could come out to less.

Just a point to add in - if you have leftovers for supper on Sunday night, you are saving on those suppers.

It is very hard to narrow down the exact cost of Shabbos, as there are often a lot of ingredients that will be left over from shabbos, like if you buy a Salad bag and have half left over, you will have salad for a different night available for supper.

I still would end up estimating the cost of food for a month to be $400-$500 which will include at least staying home for 2 Shabbosim.
Clothing.
Maternity clothing, Bsha Tova (really adds up).
Vacation.
Parking.
Home repairs.
Home items (from light bulbs and shabbos candles to toiletries to plastic dishes to Air conditioners to over the counter medication etc etc) THIS IS BIG.
What I can "Costco" (Paper towels/tissues/garbage bags etc)
Parking tickets.
Purim itself can be a few hundred (assuming all other YT is by parents and in laws).
Regarding most of above expense:
Clothing - are not needed for at least the first year married - given that you bough new cloths before marriage.
Home repairs - usually landlords expense
Parking/Parking tickets - not really applicable in Lakewood.
Home items - this is a good point to bring up. This should be around $200 a month.
Vacation - I do find this important :) But that is what DDF is all about - and vacations with very minimal expenses should not be hard to plan.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 10:54:23 AM by Name Changed »

Offline Redbull3

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 31, 2014, 10:41:40 AM »
Clothing - are not needed for at least the first year married - given that you bough new cloths before marriage.

No new clothing for a whole year...? That sounds extreme, even for someone impoverished. Especially for the female.

Offline Name Changed

• View Profile
  • Programs: Avis Presidents Club, National Executive Elite, Hertz Presidents Circle, Sixt Platinum, SPG Gold, eBay Platinum
« Reply #131 on: October 31, 2014, 11:02:23 AM »
No new clothing for a whole year...? That sounds extreme, even for someone impoverished. Especially for the female.
I do not find it extreme, we are talking about being moser nefesh for torah.

Sadly these days few people are really moser nefesh :(

Offline avrumy22

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 31, 2014, 11:02:29 AM »
#Londonbroilcrisis

Offline alpicone

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 31, 2014, 11:05:02 AM »
As a newly married couple you can surely squeeze by on a $500 groceries budget but don't forget to consider all the other household personal expenses that are frequently purchased at the grocery store that are not food items.

This thread mead me want to confirm that I have been spending consistent with the amount I budget for food/household items. Here is what I spent in the last 12 months:

Costco $8k (we buy all our fruits, vegetables, milk and chicken at Costco)
Grocery Store $7k
Total $15k

This includes everything for 2 adults and 2 kids (3 and 6), 3 meals a day for each of us, shabbos and yom tov, hosting guest for shabbos  and buying lots of fruits and vegetables.

Breaks down to $1,250 per month, $312.50 pp/mo, and this is not shopping for groceries to meet a tight budget and does include some extra purchases at Costco.

Offline Redbull3

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 31, 2014, 11:06:46 AM »
I do not find it extreme, we are talking about being moser nefesh for torah.

Sadly these days few people are really moser nefesh :(

I hear the sentiment but vehemently disagree about clothing. You are talking about the very bottom of Maslow's pyramid. 2 posts ago you said vacations are important...

Online TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: October 31, 2014, 11:15:41 AM »
As a newly married couple you can surely squeeze by on a $500 groceries budget but don't forget to consider all the other household personal expenses that are frequently purchased at the grocery store that are not food items.

This thread mead me want to confirm that I have been spending consistent with the amount I budget for food/household items. Here is what I spent in the last 12 months:

Costco $8k (we buy all our fruits, vegetables, milk and chicken at Costco)
Grocery Store $7k
Total $15k

This includes everything for 2 adults and 2 kids (3 and 6), 3 meals a day for each of us, shabbos and yom tov, hosting guest for shabbos  and buying lots of fruits and vegetables.

Breaks down to $1,250 per month, $312.50 pp/mo, and this is not shopping for groceries to meet a tight budget and does include some extra purchases at Costco.
Does that include meat ?

Offline Name Changed

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 31, 2014, 11:17:12 AM »
I hear the sentiment but vehemently disagree about clothing. You are talking about the very bottom of Maslow's pyramid. 2 posts ago you said vacations are important...
Who said vacation has to be extravagant or cost any money?

If you just entered marriage with a full new wardrobe of cloths what will be needed?

Offline Redbull3

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 31, 2014, 11:21:34 AM »
Who said vacation has to be extravagant or cost any money?

If you just entered marriage with a full new wardrobe of cloths what will be needed?

I didn't assume you meant extravagant, but everything costs money (or currencies which could be converted to money which is the same thing). Unless you are talking about staying by relatives and doing free activities as your vacation which I don't think you are since you referred to DDF.

Also, new clothing doesn't need to be extravagant or cost a tremendous amount either.

Offline Name Changed

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 31, 2014, 11:24:49 AM »
Also, new clothing doesn't need to be extravagant or cost a tremendous amount either.

Ok, I will partially agree with you. New cloths could be counted as a small expense, but I still stand that it could be that new cloths is not "needed" for the first year (unless maternity cloths is needed). :)

Offline Redbull3

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 31, 2014, 11:29:56 AM »
Ok, I will partially agree with you. New cloths could be counted as a small expense, but I still stand that it could be that new cloths is not "needed" for the first year (unless maternity cloths is needed). :)

Thanks for being modeh b'miktzas* but what do you even mean they are not needed for the first year? Are you saying buying clothes once per year is reasonable?

*Being not yeshivish I am very proud of myself when I can throw in a lamdush term so please let me enjoy this moment... ahhh