Author Topic: Complaint against Giftcardmall filed with Federal Trade Commission  (Read 5994 times)

Offline jason1960

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Hi all, sorry this is a little long, but below is a copy of the complaint against giftcardmall (the one who recently sold all those staples $100 gift cards on ebay for only $85) that I have filed with the Federal Trade Commission. If anyone has had a similar issue with them I woul like to know. Thank you.

Giftcardmall.com is the largest provider of third party gift cards in the United States and Canada. They sell gift cards on their website and through the ebay website. On September 1, 2014,  giftcardmall ran a sale on ebay selling $100 staples gift cards for only $85. (ebay item # 261585109626). This was an ebay daily deal and the purchase was limited to 2 per ebay user ID. Having 3 different ebay user ID's, I purchased a total of 6 staples gift cards (3 orders of 2 gift cards, paying $170 three times).

Around a week later, I received all the gift cards with a paper saying they were each worth $100 and "the card is active". (I still have the gift cards and paper in case you need a copy of it). I was going to save the gift cards for holiday shopping, but around a week later I saw something on sale and staples and decided to use the gift cards to purchase it. However, when I tried to make the purchases at staples, they said that every one of the gift cards had no value on it. I then called up Giftcardmall and the customer service representative told me my orders had been cancelled because I ordered more cards than the limit of 2. I then filed a complaint thru ebay on October 1 and giftcarmall responded as follows "Hello, Thank you for your inquiry. We would like to confirm that this order has been canceled. We will process a refund which will show up as a credit in your PayPal account. You should receive credit within 2-3 business days. Your Reference Number is XXXXXXXXXXXX. We appreciate your business and are happy to assist you with your concerns. Sincerely, Gift Card Mall". I got this same response to all 3 of my orders.

On October 7, I received a refund for $170 for one of the 3 purchases. I received no refund from the company for the other 2 purchases and on  October 19, I filed a complaint with ebay regarding the other 2 purchases. On October 21, ebay refunded my money for the other 2 purchases.

I am filing this complaint because I believe this company is purposely trying to defraud customers. First of all, if as they claim they canceled my order, why did they send gift cards that said they were activated and then not contact me telling me that they had cancelled my order. Had I saved the gift cards to use at the holidays, it would have been to late to file a complaint with ebay and my credit card company and I would have lost my money (that is probably what they were hoping). Secondly, if as they claimed they cancelled my order, why was no refund given at the time of cancellation? If a company cancels an order, it is incumbent on them to issue a refund, not make the customer contact them to complain about not getting a refund (again, probably hoping the customer doesn't notice or forgets and they can keep your money). I would not be filing this complaint if I thought this was an isolated incident, but I made a post on a blog about what happened and found out from others that this is common operating procedure for this company and they have done this to numerous people. A glance at their ebay feedback shows numerous people in the last 6 months have had the exact same problem with this company. I am asking the Federal trade Commission to look into this matter. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions. Thank you very much.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 10:08:26 AM by jj1000 »

Offline bubbles

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 67
    • View Profile
Re: Complaint against Giftcardmall filed with Federal Trade Commission
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2014, 08:07:44 AM »
Side point, but eBay has been shutting people down for having multiple accounts to get around buying limits

Offline bubble347

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2014, 08:10:02 AM »
Hi all, sorry this is a little long, but below is a copy of the complaint against giftcardmall (the one who recently sold all those staples $100 gift cards on ebay for only $85) that I have filed with the Federal Trade Commission. If anyone has had a similar issue with them I woul like to know. Thank you.

Giftcardmall.com is the largest provider of third party gift cards in the United States and Canada. They sell gift cards on their website and through the ebay website. On September 1, 2014,  giftcardmall ran a sale on ebay selling $100 staples gift cards for only $85. (ebay item # 261585109626). This was an ebay daily deal and the purchase was limited to 2 per ebay user ID. Having 3 different ebay user ID's, I purchased a total of 6 staples gift cards (3 orders of 2 gift cards, paying $170 three times).

Around a week later, I received all the gift cards with a paper saying they were each worth $100 and "the card is active". (I still have the gift cards and paper in case you need a copy of it). I was going to save the gift cards for holiday shopping, but around a week later I saw something on sale and staples and decided to use the gift cards to purchase it. However, when I tried to make the purchases at staples, they said that every one of the gift cards had no value on it. I then called up Giftcardmall and the customer service representative told me my orders had been cancelled because I ordered more cards than the limit of 2. I then filed a complaint thru ebay on October 1 and giftcarmall responded as follows "Hello, Thank you for your inquiry. We would like to confirm that this order has been canceled. We will process a refund which will show up as a credit in your PayPal account. You should receive credit within 2-3 business days. Your Reference Number is XXXXXXXXXXX. We appreciate your business and are happy to assist you with your concerns. Sincerely, Gift Card Mall". I got this same response to all 3 of my orders.

On October 7, I received a refund for $170 for one of the 3 purchases. I received no refund from the company for the other 2 purchases and on  October 19, I filed a complaint with ebay regarding the other 2 purchases. On October 21, ebay refunded my money for the other 2 purchases.

I am filing this complaint because I believe this company is purposely trying to defraud customers. First of all, if as they claim they canceled my order, why did they send gift cards that said they were activated and then not contact me telling me that they had cancelled my order. Had I saved the gift cards to use at the holidays, it would have been to late to file a complaint with ebay and my credit card company and I would have lost my money (that is probably what they were hoping). Secondly, if as they claimed they cancelled my order, why was no refund given at the time of cancellation? If a company cancels an order, it is incumbent on them to issue a refund, not make the customer contact them to complain about not getting a refund (again, probably hoping the customer doesn't notice or forgets and they can keep your money). I would not be filing this complaint if I thought this was an isolated incident, but I made a post on a blog about what happened and found out from others that this is common operating procedure for this company and they have done this to numerous people. A glance at their ebay feedback shows numerous people in the last 6 months have had the exact same problem with this company. I am asking the Federal trade Commission to look into this matter. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions. Thank you very much.
I hear your frustration, however, don't you think that before you suspect a company for "purposefully defrauding" you should consider the fact that you actually did purposefully defraud the company by violating their policy?
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 10:08:57 AM by jj1000 »
Watch this inspiring video.

Offline Super Speed

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis First, National Executive Elite, Sixt Platinum.
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2014, 08:15:34 AM »

Around a week later, I received all the gift cards with a paper saying they were each worth $100 and "the card is active". (I still have the gift cards and paper in case you need a copy of it). I was going to save the gift cards for holiday shopping, but around a week later I saw something on sale and staples and decided to use the gift cards to purchase it. However, when I tried to make the purchases at staples, they said that every one of the gift cards had no value on it. I then called up Giftcardmall and the customer service representative told me my orders had been cancelled because I ordered more cards than the limit of 2. I then filed a complaint thru ebay on October 1 and giftcarmall responded as follows "Hello, Thank you for your inquiry. We would like to confirm that this order has been canceled. We will process a refund which will show up as a credit in your PayPal account. You should receive credit within 2-3 business days. Your Reference Number is XXXXXXXXXXXX. We appreciate your business and are happy to assist you with your concerns. Sincerely, Gift Card Mall". I got this same response to all 3 of my orders.

I'm sorry to say I am very skeptical about the details of your story, they're a very honest company and they're usually dealing with people defrauding them. Much success.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 10:08:46 AM by jj1000 »

Offline Red

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2014, 08:17:52 AM »
I hear your frustration, however, don't you think that before you suspect a company for "purposefully defrauding" you should consider the fact that you actually did purposefully defraud the company by violating their policy?
+1

Offline frozy

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2014, 08:40:55 AM »

The policy is two per eBay account - he didn't order more. If he violated eBay's T&C that does not give GCM any claim (at least I don't think so...)  Though I don't think they're intentionally defrauding customers - more like a glitch; however it is their responsibility to initiate the refund as they initiated the cancellation.

@Jason you probably shouldn't post the reference number on an open forum

Offline bubble347

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2014, 08:54:50 AM »

The policy is two per eBay account - he didn't order more. If he violated eBay's T&C that does not give GCM any claim (at least I don't think so...)  Though I don't think they're intentionally defrauding customers - more like a glitch; however it is their responsibility to initiate the refund as they initiated the cancellation.

@Jason you probably shouldn't post the reference number on an open forum
Their policy is per Ebay account since they were relying on Ebay's T&C that prohibits multiple accounts.
Watch this inspiring video.

Offline peroneustertius

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2014, 09:02:13 AM »
+1 you tried the dansdeals workaround and got caught.

Offline jason1960

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2014, 09:39:05 AM »
Notice my complaint was not against the fact that they cancelled my order (if it was a violation of ebay policy, they have every right to do that.) The complaint is that they do not have a right to NOT ISSUE A REFUND. Are you saying that if someone violates a companies terms and conditions when buying something, the company has a right to cancel your order and not refund your money?

Offline jason1960

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2014, 09:45:30 AM »
[/url]
I'm sorry to say I am very skeptical about the details of your story, they're a very honest company and they're usually dealing with people defrauding them. Much success.

You can go to ebay and read their negative feedback in the last month. Same exact complaint from n***s, c***c, 5***5, a***x, c***m, n***n, k***m, e***k, d***d, (just to list a few). Are we all making this up?

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&ftab=AllFeedback&userid=giftcardmall&iid=-1&de=off&items=25&interval=30&which=negative&mPg=2&page=2

Offline avrumy22

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2014, 09:47:06 AM »
Side point. I had a fraudulent charge on one of their GC and had a NIGHTMARE getting it back. They do EVERYTHING in their power not to refund even though I was 100% right. When they finally sent me a new card, they took off a 'service fee' from the original amount. At that point I told them that i would be fighting the original charge from when I got the card and they finally agreed to refund the full amount.

Not the most honest place...

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2014, 10:29:08 AM »
Notice my complaint was not against the fact that they cancelled my order (if it was a violation of ebay policy, they have every right to do that.) The complaint is that they do not have a right to NOT ISSUE A REFUND. Are you saying that if someone violates a companies terms and conditions when buying something, the company has a right to cancel your order and not refund your money?
I will make this real simple. You tried something and it did not work. You received all your money back. LET IT GO!
I just found a new supply of forks!

Offline ShlockDoc

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2014, 10:35:18 AM »

Offline burryhood

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2014, 10:58:04 AM »

Jason1960, this is your fault. You got busted playing the system. In the end did they not refund you? You tried to play them, their not running to give a fraudster back his money.  As for the gift cards, it's possible they shipped you the gift cards the same way companies ship fraud orders boxes of garbage - trying to give you taste of your fraud.

Bottom line, if you can't take the heat get the f out the kitchen.

- Burry

Offline noturbizniss

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2014, 11:50:31 AM »
[/url]
You can go to ebay and read their negative feedback in the last month. Same exact complaint from n***s, c***c, 5***5, a***x, c***m, n***n, k***m, e***k, d***d, (just to list a few). Are we all making this up?

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&ftab=AllFeedback&userid=giftcardmall&iid=-1&de=off&items=25&interval=30&which=negative&mPg=2&page=2

Same time frame = 3,500 positive feedback. I'll take those odds
http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&ftab=AllFeedback&userid=giftcardmall&iid=-1&de=off&items=50&interval=30&which=positive&_trkparms=Positive_3543

Did you actually call them about the missing refunds? If all the orders were in your name, the system probably thought they were duplicates or errors and did not refund them.  Sure, it's frustrating, but mistakes happen. the feedback is 99.5%.
READ THE DARN WIKI!!!!

Chuck Norris...
...can still do FT method
...READS THE WIKI!!!

Offline jason1960

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2014, 12:07:32 PM »
I will make this real simple. You tried something and it did not work. You received all your money back. LET IT GO!
Sadly, it is that type of attitude that allows companies to continue defrauding people and breaking the law. The law is very clear that when a company cancels an order, they are required to refund the money to the customer, NOT make it incumbent on the customer to complain or file a complaint with the credit card company to get their money back. Imagine if Walmart or any other big company cancelled orders from people and didn't refund their money, they would be sued in 10 seconds flat. It is incumbent upon the company to issue a refund when they cancel an order, that is the law.

I also did not file the complaint with the FTC until I checked and found out they were doing this to numerous people not just me. That made it clear that this isn't a one time mistake, it is clear that they are trying to defraud people and steal their money.

I'm not sure where this attitude is coming from: the fact that there was a violation of ebays terms means the company doesn't have to refund the money and therefore is allowed to violate the law? Really?

Offline DJ Perry

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2014, 12:39:14 AM »
I don't see why this entire conversation here is in deals/deal requests!!