Author Topic: Should I close Sapphire before applying to 2 Chase SW cards?  (Read 1902 times)

Offline DaveInLA

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Should I close Sapphire before applying to 2 Chase SW cards?
« on: November 06, 2014, 01:50:49 PM »
I want to apply for the Chase SWA personal and business cards soon. I currently have 4 Chase cards, the Ink (2 mo ago) and 3 personal cards ( all 2+ yrs). Of the 3 personal cards, I want to get rid of the Sapphire because I don't use it. I originally got the CSP 2.5 yrs ago and downgraded it to no-fee card a couple months ago. At this point, I'm worried that having too many Chase cards will make it hard to be approved for the 2 SWA cards, which is why I want to close one. My credit score is good (high 700s to low 800s) but I applied for 3 cards 2 months ago and recently got a home loan. Income is good too.

I see myself as having 2 options. I can close Sapphire today and then apply for SWA. However, I heard somewhere that the credit line from a closed card doesn't free up for a couple months after closure. If this is true, I don't think closing the card will help.

The 2nd option is to keep the sapphire and apply for the SWA cards. I'll prob have to call reconciliation line, and if need be, I can close sapphire then or move CL over.

What's the right move here?

Offline Marco Polo

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 104
    • View Profile
Re: Should I close Sapphire before applying to 2 Chase SW cards?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2014, 02:00:55 PM »
I want to apply for the Chase SWA personal and business cards soon. I currently have 4 Chase cards, the Ink (2 mo ago) and 3 personal cards ( all 2+ yrs). Of the 3 personal cards, I want to get rid of the Sapphire because I don't use it. I originally got the CSP 2.5 yrs ago and downgraded it to no-fee card a couple months ago. At this point, I'm worried that having too many Chase cards will make it hard to be approved for the 2 SWA cards, which is why I want to close one. My credit score is good (high 700s to low 800s) but I applied for 3 cards 2 months ago and recently got a home loan. Income is good too.

I see myself as having 2 options. I can close Sapphire today and then apply for SWA. However, I heard somewhere that the credit line from a closed card doesn't free up for a couple months after closure. If this is true, I don't think closing the card will help.

The 2nd option is to keep the sapphire and apply for the SWA cards. I'll prob have to call reconciliation line, and if need be, I can close sapphire then or move CL over.

What's the right move here?
That.
Quaerite et Invenietis.

Offline DaveInLA

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2014, 02:11:01 PM »
Should I call to lower CL before I apply? It's $30k, which is the highest if all my cards.

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2014, 02:22:33 PM »
Should I call to lower CL before I apply? It's $30k, which is the highest if all my cards.
Why lower it ? Why not move that over ?

Offline dpk4588

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2014, 02:40:01 PM »
Why lower it ? Why not move that over ?
+1
And even if you don't get approved because you have "too much available credit with chase" something I've been told, you can shift the CL you just moved off the Sapphire.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
-Albert Einstein

Offline LoLo

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2014, 02:10:48 PM »
With the business card they wouldn't always allow shifting credit, I was denied for ink+, and they wouldn't approve me even after offering to move credit, (Ex FICO was 747 at the time)

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2014, 04:37:12 PM »
With the business card they wouldn't always allow shifting credit, I was denied for ink+, and they wouldn't approve me even after offering to move credit, (Ex FICO was 747 at the time)
There could be many reasons for that.

Offline LoLo

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2014, 06:49:30 PM »
There could be many reasons for that.
I know, just wanted to point out that shifting credit doesn't always work