Poll

How many cards did you register for Small Business Saturday?

1-5
5-15
15-30
30-60
60-100
100-150
150-200
200-350
350+

Author Topic: SBS - How many cards did you register?  (Read 77916 times)

Offline Super Speed

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis First, National Executive Elite, Sixt Platinum.
Re: SBS - How many cards did you register?
« Reply #140 on: November 20, 2014, 11:06:56 PM »
Now is it illegal? I don't know - it may be or it maybe not. I don't know if you can get arrested for it, but I imagine if AMEX decides to take back your credit there is nothing you can do about it. However the fact whether it is illegal or not doe sit play into my argument. I'm saying walking in with 100's of cards is not what this was intended for, you found a loophole and are exploiting it and someone elses expense. Now you might say AMEX is not a person but a goyishe corporation and I am a frum jew and will give maiser on it. Thats your cheshben, and prob similar to the satmar chassidim cheshben who were arrested last week.
1) Illegal? Adding AUs is illegal when they allow it? ( I'm not talking about people making up names).
2) Amex can not take back your credit if you enrolled the card and spent legitimately.
3) Comparing this to what happened last week shows how clueless you are about how this works.
4) Are you exploiting something? Maybe but then again there's nothing wrong and it's definitely more ethical than taking a test drive on a car that you don't plan to buy.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 11:28:10 PM by Super Speed »

Offline cholent

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 20, 2014, 11:48:44 PM »
4) Are you exploiting something? Maybe but then again there's nothing wrong and it's definitely more ethical than taking a test drive on a car that you don't plan to buy.

+1 on #4 (the rest too, but that one particularly)
Don't ask stupid questions and you won't get stupid answers

Online yuneeq

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 21, 2014, 12:07:47 AM »
The only difference is the scale though, right? Now where do you draw the line, somewhere above 7.5k AA but below thousands of dollars? The 2nd prong is a non-issue if there's nothing unethical going on.

Not knowing where to draw the line does not mean there is no line. Most people can tell when someone has gone over the line, without being able to pinpoint where the line is.
Example: Talking is normal, right? Let's say 1 person talks to a store employee and another yells at an employee, is the person yelling acting ethically?

Now where do you draw the line between talking and yelling?
Which exact decibel does a person switch over from talking to yelling?
Does the fact that you and I don't know the exact decibel, change your perception of the person yelling?
Visibly Jewish

Online yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 21, 2014, 12:13:10 AM »

Incentivized test drives are MEANT for people that aren't planning on buying their cars.
If you were planning on buying a car from them, you wouldn't need to be incentivized to go for a free test drive.
Visibly Jewish

Offline caliheat

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 21, 2014, 01:05:38 AM »
Incentivized test drives are MEANT for people that aren't planning on buying their cars.
If you were planning on buying a car from them, you wouldn't need to be incentivized to go for a free test drive.
So it's not a ploy to lure you in and buy, they just want to waste their time?
Interesting take on the matter..
 Now back to the original subject matter, I just added another 10 AU's for the occasion, L'chayim!

Online yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 21, 2014, 01:09:21 AM »
So it's not a ploy to lure you in and buy, they just want to waste their time?
Interesting take on the matter..
 Now back to the original subject matter, I just added another 10 AU's for the occasion, L'chayim!

Hmm..How did you come to that conclusion?
It's to get people that don't plan on buying a Cadillac (or whatever car) to consider buying one.
Visibly Jewish

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 21, 2014, 01:11:53 AM »
You can add whoever you want with whatever name you want without social security number as long as its not expedited
Does the $10 mean that much to you to be committing fraud?
I just found a new supply of forks!

Offline reed

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: November 21, 2014, 01:17:13 AM »
Who says Adam101 is a heeb?

Nobody did and that's not the point.

Offline mawmaw

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 21, 2014, 01:24:54 AM »
Does the $1030 mean that much to you to be committing fraud?
;)

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 21, 2014, 01:28:07 AM »
;)
Forgot about that. For $30 that makes a big difference.  :)
I just found a new supply of forks!

Offline caliheat

• View Profile
« Reply #150 on: November 21, 2014, 01:29:43 AM »
Hmm..How did you come to that conclusion?
It's to get people that don't plan on buying a Cadillac (or whatever car) to consider buying one.
My point was that a typical person would not test drive for an incentive unless he/she was in the market for a potential car.
Being that it actually takes time and most people value their time.
Therefore, the car company is offering an incentive  to the customer who is a potential client but needs the extra push to come in.
There are always "exploiters" of said offers, I cannot claim innocence, but I don't justify it as the intended use.

Offline reed

• View Profile
« Reply #151 on: November 21, 2014, 01:30:23 AM »
1) Illegal? Adding AUs is illegal when they allow it? ( I'm not talking about people making up names).
2) Amex can not take back your credit if you enrolled the card and spent legitimately.
3) Comparing this to what happened last week shows how clueless you are about how this works.

1. I'm not saying adding AUs is illegal, in fact I never said any part was illegal. I said I don't know if adding 90 AUs to 10 cards and then charging 30 to each and cashing out of AMEX for thousands of dollars is illegal it might be. And where are all the AUs coming from if not making up names or are you just adding an AU for everyone you ever met?
2. Yes but is this legitimate. Adding hundreds of cards and then using to get future credit by braking up a transaction into hundreds of Seperate 10 dollar charges. I don't know but doubtful.
3. Not sure how to respond to this. Kind of conclusory
4. Ok you agreed your exploiting - good start. "But then again there's nothing wrong" wow we just jumped a few steps there Charlie. If your exploiting then how can you be so sure there's no wrong. And "it's definitly more ethical then test driving a car you hve no interest in buying" - so much to say. 1. Who said? What data are you using to back this up? 2. So what? Let's say Thier both wrong what does that help. 3. I Belive the dealers offer these promotions to draw you into the dealership even though you would not have other wise gone that's the whole point. Their not expecting you to buy one when you walk off the lot, but to start identifying with that brand and thinking about then as a possible new car. They spend so much money on advertising this is just another and prob more effective way of doing it. Not sure how that translates over to this at all.

Offline Redbull3

• View Profile
  • Programs: Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #152 on: November 21, 2014, 07:34:34 AM »

Their not expecting you to buy one when you walk off the lot, but to start identifying with that brand and thinking about then as a possible new car. They spend so much money on advertising this is just another and prob more effective way of doing it.

Marketing expense- that is also what sbs is to Amex. And it's even more effective because unlike Cadillac you can't take advantage if you are a non-customer and that includes swipers and merchants. They are paying big money to encourage short term use of their card yes but also encouraging merchants to accept Amex, building their brand in the long haul with awareness and positive exposure. The PR they get from this is tremendous, small businesses are like kids and puppies everyone loves to support them and they are now synonymous with small business.

They are not making wholesale changes to their AU policy. You can still add yourself 99 times to your own card, online, for free over time. This isn't something hard for them to curb if they cared to. They could make it 10 or 50. They could require socials for the card to work. They could make you add AU on phone only. They could make you provide more info than they are... And they had all year to make any of these changes yet they clearly don't care to and in fact raised it from $10 to $30 to encourage more spend at small businesses.

Offline tzifanya54

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: November 21, 2014, 09:07:25 AM »
Marketing expense- that is also what sbs is to Amex. And it's even more effective because unlike Cadillac you can't take advantage if you are a non-customer and that includes swipers and merchants. They are paying big money to encourage short term use of their card yes but also encouraging merchants to accept Amex, building their brand in the long haul with awareness and positive exposure. The PR they get from this is tremendous, small businesses are like kids and puppies everyone loves to support them and they are now synonymous with small business.

They are not making wholesale changes to their AU policy. You can still add yourself 99 times to your own card, online, for free over time. This isn't something hard for them to curb if they cared to. They could make it 10 or 50. They could require socials for the card to work. They could make you add AU on phone only. They could make you provide more info than they are... And they had all year to make any of these changes yet they clearly don't care to and in fact raised it from $10 to $30 to encourage more spend at small businesses.
+100
Very well said, this is one the most articulate and thought through posts I have seen in a long time!

Offline noturbizniss

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: November 21, 2014, 09:45:22 AM »
Nobody did and that's not the point.
Your whole original argument was that this is a chillul hashem. If adam101 is not a jew then 3what he does or does not do does not make anything a chillul hashem.
READ THE DARN WIKI!!!!

Chuck Norris...
...can still do FT method
...READS THE WIKI!!!

Offline Adam101

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: November 21, 2014, 10:05:25 AM »
Your whole original argument was that this is a chillul hashem. If adam101 is not a jew then 3what he does or does not do does not make anything a chillul hashem.
Whoa back up. I didn't say that I advocated or I do it myself. I just say the fact that when you apply for a AU you you don't need socials unless you expedite them. I personally have only cards under my name.

Offline noturbizniss

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: November 21, 2014, 10:07:23 AM »
Whoa back up. I didn't say that I advocated or I do it myself. I just say the fact that when you apply for a AU you you don't need socials unless you expedite them. I personally have only cards under my name.
Sorry. Didn't say you did. Just that when reed quoted you as proof of his argument I was saying that he was making assumptions. Additionally, his assumption that you do it is also invalid.
READ THE DARN WIKI!!!!

Chuck Norris...
...can still do FT method
...READS THE WIKI!!!

Offline Adam101

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: November 21, 2014, 10:09:12 AM »
Anyway this should all probably go in the 'ethics' thread

Offline caliheat

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: November 21, 2014, 10:10:50 AM »
Anyway this should all probably go in the 'ethics' thread
+100

Offline reed

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: November 21, 2014, 11:02:47 AM »
Sorry. Didn't say you did. Just that when reed quoted you as proof of his argument I was saying that he was making assumptions. Additionally, his assumption that you do it is also invalid.

Never assumed he did it or that he was Jewish. Just reinforcing my point that this can cause a chillul hashem