Author Topic: Something Fishy's Maui and Lanai Trip Report, Courtesy of Delta  (Read 41309 times)

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
Re: Something Fishy's Maui and Lanai Trip Report, Courtesy of Delta
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2014, 11:11:52 PM »
Loving it.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Crazy tools

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Club, Avis Presidents, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Executive Elite, SPG Gold
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2014, 01:35:05 AM »
Awesome

Online Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 40
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2014, 01:02:31 AM »
Day 1, Sunday:

As always, click on any picture to see it in full resolution, along with more info (exposure, map, etc.)

We got to JFK bright and early, and headed to the lounge. I met up with a couple more DDF'ers who were flying to LAX, also on glitch tickets :D. In fact another DDF'er had planned to fly on my daughter's ticket (as we didn't bring her in the end), but in the last minute decided that he can't really pass for a 2-year old girl...

After davening shachris and eating a quick breakfast we went to board our flight. First class on the MD-88 was... well, better than coach. At least my knees weren't banging into the seat in front of me.

Takeoff from JFK - the A train, Cross Bay Boulevard, and Jamaica Bay National Wildlife Refuge:

The Kosher "meal" was (surprise!) fairly terrible:

The person sitting next to me had ordered the far more gourmet-sounding salmon and cheese dish. We had quite the laugh when the flight attendant brought him a bagel with cream cheese and lox ;D.

After a short and uneventful flight we landed in Atlanta. We hung out in the lounge again during our very short layover, and then headed to the gate. This was going to be the first time either of us had experienced a "real" premium cabin, plus this was also the longest flight yet for both of us. Needless to say, we were pretty excited.

We were welcomed aboard and found our seats. Amid many "Aloha"s and "much mahalo"s from our Hawaii-based crew, we took off.

Our seats were 1C and 1G, located in the "nose" of the cabin. According to Seatguru these seats are not recommended due to high traffic volume. I have to say that this was definitely not our experience; in fact I highly recommend these seats over any other for people traveling together. At no point during the 9+ hours in flight did I feel bothered by any traffic; the seats are private and partitioned enough that I didn't even notice when someone went by. On the other hand, these are the only seats in the row, so you really don't see anyone else 99% of the time. It felt cozy and private.

Long way to go:

Lunch was an improvement over breakfast, but not by much. The potatoes weren't half bad; the pastry on the left may have been good, if only it hadn't been frozen solid. The couscous on the other hand still haunt my nightmares sometimes:

The beds were fantastic. For a guy who's 6'-8" and gets crushed in a standard coach seat, being able to sleep like this - comfortably - is just amazing. The Westin Heavenly bedding was just that - heavenly:

After a couple of hours of rest we awoke for dinner service (it was around 7pm eastern time). Dinner ended up being the same stuff as lunch, but with the frozen pastry replaced by chocolate mousse. We sent everything but the dishes and mousse back, and asked the crew if they could warm up a couple of Pom meals for us. They were extremely accommodating, and within a few minutes we were feasting happily:

The mousse as it turned out was sublime. Perfectly creamy and chocolaty, it made a perfect end to the meal:

Finally:

We landed in Honolulu right on schedule, and rushed to sort out our luggage. Remember - our actual itinerary was to continue to Kauai. The skycap at JFK refused to short check our bags, so it was tagged all the way to Kauai.

I want over to the gate agent and told her that I'm not feeling well and will probably be spending the night in HNL before continuing on the Kauai, and could she please help us retrieve our luggage ;). Withing a minute she had printed out a couple of tags and directed me to baggage services. Five minutes after that, I was in line with my luggage checking in to my separately purchased flight to Maui ;D.

Our ride to Maui:

Hawaiian Airlines KSML :P:

Flying over the uninhabited island of Kahoʻolawe:

Molokini Crater, and our first glimpse of Maui:

We landed, collected our luggage, and went to get our rental convertible. At one point I had 8 different reservations running, and kept on updating them as the prices fell. In the end Enterprise turned out to be the cheapest.

Our Mustang didn't have much trunk space...:

Off we went to Kula, to the cottage we rented via airbnb. We arrived a little over half an hour later, to find this perfect little slice of heaven waiting for us. The cottage was bright, airy, and set over a stunning orchard and nature preserve. It was also 3000 feet up the slopes of Haleakala, so the views were absolutely insane.

We went for a short stroll in the garden:

Self portrait (that's the cottage in the background):

Each afternoon we were treated to other-worldly sunsets. I don't think you can imagine a more perfect sunset the first night in Hawaii:

Last light - you could see the island of Lanai in center-left:

A perfect ending to a perfect day.
Check out all my Trip Reports here!

Offline Fan of Dan

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2014, 01:08:49 AM »
Amazing SF!! Great report and looking forward for the rest.

Offline Hershelsdeals

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2014, 01:13:36 AM »
Amazing!

Offline Hershelsdeals

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2014, 01:13:57 AM »
Rx100 M3?

Online Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Page

Online whYME

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2014, 01:43:29 AM »
Alright, I think you've finally convinced me ;)

Time to start planning...

Offline Yehoshua

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2014, 01:50:10 AM »
Wow, great TR! Nicely written. Perfect timing for me. That does look like a nice place in Kula. I can't wait for the rest!  PS- I read most of the app. I'll wait till after the TR for questions.

Offline Yaalili

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 129
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Club Carlson Gold, Jetblue Mosaic, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, DansDeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite.
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2014, 02:03:30 AM »
Really nice property you got there, did the house have signs of cats or dogs? She writes that she loves them etc.. Great great photos.

Offline morgs

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: *a Gold, Avis Presidents circle, Hertz Presidents club
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2014, 02:41:17 AM »
awesome tr and beautiful pics-keep it comin...

Online Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2014, 07:42:31 AM »
Really nice property you got there, did the house have signs of cats or dogs? She writes that she loves them etc.. Great great photos.

Not even a hint of them in the cottage or garden/orchard. Her cats sometimes hung around in the driveway but ran to hide whenever they saw me.

Offline VacationLover

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2014, 09:12:18 AM »
Thanks!! Amazing! Did you add color to your pictures with Photoshop or Camera Raw?

Offline Drago

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2014, 09:53:22 AM »
Looking forward to sitting down with this TR

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2014, 09:54:00 AM »
Each afternoon we were treated to other-worldly sunsets. I don't think you can imagine a more perfect sunset the first night in Hawaii:
+1. Two things that stuck out to me on my trip were the weather and the sunsets - even from way down at sea level in Wailea. We checked in literally watching what to us was the rarest and most beautiful sunset, the likes of which we'd never seen before - only to be treated to variations on that perfection each evening.

What I find interesting though is the difference in perspective of a sunset from 3000 feet up, to one from the beach. IMO, the beach sunset (like your Ke'e Beach sunset shot in your photostream) is more beautiful, but there's a certain majesty to that view you had from above.