Author Topic: Private Pilot's License  (Read 30333 times)

Offline Block Time

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Private Pilot's License
« Reply #255 on: February 17, 2021, 06:37:50 PM »
I don't remember all the details but it doesn't appear to be against regulations: https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?SID=ca2b0d5f1c9951743ff93a43e84f3dd6&mc=true&node=sp14.2.61.c&rgn=div6#se14.2.61_183

From what I do remember, you need to get a (3rd class) medical and the medical certificate itself is your student certificate. I forget whether the instructor has to refer you to the medical examiner. I think instructors are required to conduct a background check or something. I would find it awkward to ask a CFI to do anything unless you plan on at least trying to take a lesson with them, but that's me.

BTW, since you're interested, I have been on flights and asked the pilots post-flight to get into the cockpit (at the time I was only a student) and they agreed (Jetblue A320) but El Al said (direct quote in heavy Hebrew accent) "not a chance." But it's worth asking. Also, something you might consider (maybe with a group of enthusiasts) is to get a tour of a local (Class C or D) tower. I found it interesting.
Thanks for replying.
I actually reached out to the FSDO to ask them, he told me that instructors will not do it, (he didn't want to go in to details about regulation stuff, so I guess it is not a regulation).

I mentioned above that I want to get the certificate "For increasing my odds to get permission to visit FAA facilities etc.". So I wish to visit a tower or any other ATC facility and I read on Pilot Forums that holding a certificate of any kind can make it easier to gain entry. That's what I meant.
I even called a few of them, but none of them gave permission DTC.

Offline shtank

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: March 15, 2021, 06:29:06 PM »
Thanks for replying.
I actually reached out to the FSDO to ask them, he told me that instructors will not do it, (he didn't want to go in to details about regulation stuff, so I guess it is not a regulation).

I mentioned above that I want to get the certificate "For increasing my odds to get permission to visit FAA facilities etc.". So I wish to visit a tower or any other ATC facility and I read on Pilot Forums that holding a certificate of any kind can make it easier to gain entry. That's what I meant.
I even called a few of them, but none of them gave permission DTC.

Sorry. Just seeing this. Well, there's no reason you can't "plan to start training" and then drop out (like most people, actually). Also, not sure FSDO is a good place to call for anything. I'd never call them unless I were forced to.

Offline Block Time

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: March 19, 2021, 10:48:28 AM »
Sorry. Just seeing this. Well, there's no reason you can't "plan to start training" and then drop out (like most people, actually). Also, not sure FSDO is a good place to call for anything. I'd never call them unless I were forced to.
Valuable piece of advice. Thank you!

Online tov hashem

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
✔️ I'm not a robot        reCAPTCHE

Offline yesitsme

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile