Author Topic: Private Pilot's License  (Read 47666 times)

Offline Achas Veachas

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
Re: Private Pilot's License
« Reply #60 on: January 01, 2015, 11:10:09 PM »
I can teach the ground school classes. I know of at least 3 here in Monsey that want to learn how to fly. I started teaching one guy who is buying a cirrus but I got married and do not have the time now.
How about over Skype? :P

Like.
+1
Took a double take on that. Not too many people I know can boast that on their resume. At least you walked away and can tell us about it :)

Offline yidsimple

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 01, 2015, 11:14:47 PM »
Awesome! Hope you keep following this thread then, and maybe, if we get a club together, you'de be a part of it. I got married a couple of years ago and haven't been able to afford as much or fit as much in as I used to either. Care to share more about your aviation story? What and where do you fly now? Where did you learn? etc. No pressure, just good to shmooze with other pilots, especially frum ones.

Sure no problem, I started flying at 16 and got my license at 18. I used to ride my bike to the airport and work 2 and at one point 3 jobs to take lessons. After I got my license I worked for a flight school and bartered flight time for the work I did. This was all at FRG. After building flight time for a few years I got my commercial and shortly after my multi. Within 3 months after I did my CFI, double I and my MEI. My first flying job was flying single pilot cargo in a C210. Eight months later a job with a company flying Falcons and Learjets.

Fast forward a year later I decided to give the airlines a shot. During the hiring boom I got hired into the left seat of a regional airline flying turboprops, soon after got the furlough notice and with the Falcon experience got hired as a street captain flying another Falcon.

This repetition goes on for another few years repeating the similar, the only difference is I was getting laid off instead of quitting. There was a point, I believe it was in 2008 after losing many jobs, moving all over the country that I decided not to fly professionally anymore.

Today I don't fly, I have a full-time job (aviation related) and I also consult for start-up airlines and drone (UAV) safety.

Offline Myccrabbi

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 01, 2015, 11:23:09 PM »
This thread is pretty cool
If u work for a living, why kill urself working?

Offline MeirS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 01, 2015, 11:24:40 PM »
+1

Let's see if one of you can convince me that my dream can become a reality.

Offline Achas Veachas

• View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #64 on: January 01, 2015, 11:25:10 PM »
I think in terms of the frum population (Brooklyn, Lakewood, Monsey, etc.) LDJ would probably be the most central.
FRG is closer for the 5 Towns Oilem. I know of at least 2 Frum pilots from there... (Admittedly I'm a Nogeia Besavar).

In any case were getting way too practical here :P

Offline yidsimple

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 01, 2015, 11:29:30 PM »
For anyone considering, I'd suggest taking an into flight and after your hooked (and I'm positive you will be) knock out the PPL written and the rest is downhill.

Offline Achas Veachas

• View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #66 on: January 01, 2015, 11:31:40 PM »
Then you'll love this one.
Disclaimer: I take no responsibility for the amount of time you will waste down that rabbit hole...

Offline shtank

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 01, 2015, 11:32:04 PM »
FRG is closer for the 5 Towns Oilem. I know of at least 2 Frum pilots from there... (Admittedly I'm a Nogeia Besavar).

I used to spend lots of time in 5T also. That's why I used FRG. however, the place has some serious drawbacks in general, as noted above. In addition, while being closer for the 5T oilem, it is farther for virtually everyone else. It is also a longer flight from there to most destinations that are of interest to people and especially to the Hudson river than LDJ.

Offline shtank

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 01, 2015, 11:34:15 PM »

What's holding you back?

Offline Achas Veachas

• View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #69 on: January 01, 2015, 11:37:16 PM »
+1

If I were you I'd go for it while I was still a Bochur (That's my biggest regret now).

Offline MeirS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 01, 2015, 11:47:14 PM »
What's holding you back?

If I were you I'd go for it while I was still a Bochur (That's my biggest regret now).
1. How much money and how much time do I have to commit to in order to get a license?

Say I go to the air field/port once a week. How many hours would it be per week and how many weeks would it take (I wouldn't consider myself a slow learner when it comes to these things) to get my license?

2. Once I have a license, what can I do with it without burning a massive whole in my pocket?
For anyone considering, I'd suggest taking an into flight and after your hooked (and I'm positive you will be) knock out the PPL written and the rest is downhill.
I did fly one in a 2 seater aircraft about 9 years ago. I did the "steering" for part of the 10 minute flight. I don't remember exactly how old I was at the time but I think I was under 15

Offline ckmk47

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 02, 2015, 12:01:12 AM »
Just a caution about a frum flight club. You'll all be interested in flying away at the same time.  Yu all have the same Yomtov schedule.  There's probably more camaraderie among a group of frum pilots, but practically speaking, isn't it better when you want the plane on Chanukah and they have to share the year end?
My favorite cause: cssy.org

Offline shtank

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 02, 2015, 12:06:55 AM »
1. How much money and how much time do I have to commit to in order to get a license?

Say I go to the air field/port once a week. How many hours would it be per week and how many weeks would it take (I wouldn't consider myself a slow learner when it comes to these things) to get my license?

2. Once I have a license, what can I do with it without burning a massive whole in my pocket?I did fly one in a 2 seater aircraft about 9 years ago. I did the "steering" for part of the 10 minute flight. I don't remember exactly how old I was at the time but I think I was under 15

1. I would say conservative estimate is around 10K but if you're as fast a learner as you say you are (and there's no guarantee of that by any means, but nothing to say you're wrong wither) and you have a good instructor and plan things right, it could be done for less. Could also take more than 10K but not if you do it right. As far as time, I think once a week for an hour or two of flying plus ground school is good. Squeeze in more when you can. You also have to figure bad weather will ground you sometimes. You need minimum 40 hours flight time (20 w/ instructor, 10 solo and 10 flexible total) to go for your test but national average is around 70-80 hours. Practice (even just going through the motions at home in a chair can really help; microsoft flight sim is OK but a bit of a hindrance for primary flight training if you ask me. It's helpful for the instrument rating I think, though not counted towards loggable time) and study when you can. The more you condense your learning, the less time and money you will spend overall.

2. If you join a club, figure $600 - $1000 per year for membership and then it's kind of up to you how much you fly. Figure you spend $500-$1000 and the rest comes from friends and other plots chipping in. There are legalities to consider when chipping in but you'll figure it out. It's gonna cost you about $100 or a little more per hour to fly so where you spend that budget is up to you. I flew from FRG to Pittsburgh once. Total cost was about $600 RT but I split it with my passengers. Flying over the Hudson is beautiful and costs between $50 and $150 depending on where you fly from and how far up the river you go.

In the very least, you can plan to do the whole thing, see how long it takes you to solo and re-evaluate from there if necessary.

Offline shtank

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 02, 2015, 12:09:06 AM »
Just a caution about a frum flight club. You'll all be interested in flying away at the same time.  Yu all have the same Yomtov schedule.  There's probably more camaraderie among a group of frum pilots, but practically speaking, isn't it better when you want the plane on Chanukah and they have to share the year end?
Very good point but I think a system can be worked out. It's like any timeshare. Everyone wants it New Years and Memorial Day and X-mas. I think this is a practical matter that needs to be hashed out later. Also, if there are enough people, multiple aircraft are possible as well. But I am getting way ahead of myself!

Offline Yehuda25

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 02, 2015, 12:12:42 AM »
Then you'll love this one.
Disclaimer: I take no responsibility for the amount of time you will waste down that rabbit hole...
Good thing that my opendns just blocked that ;D
“To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.”

― Aristotle

Offline Achas Veachas

• View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #75 on: January 02, 2015, 07:18:38 AM »
lol that's probably because it's on a gambling forum...

Someone referred me to it when I had a night to kill. I ended up wasting a month of my life until I got to the end...

Offline Myccrabbi

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 02, 2015, 07:57:12 AM »
+1
If u work for a living, why kill urself working?

Offline NoraNhok

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 07, 2015, 05:50:51 PM »
I got my Private Pilots License in 2010 and really enjoy it a lot, flew to some beautiful destinations with shtank with both our planes on Chol Hamoed, flying out to the catskills almost weekly summer months.

Spoke to so many people and hear this again and again, "started working on my PPL but dropped out, never finished it"

This is whats happening, when you think about going for it you think it'll take a few months and ill have it and enjoy it,

But what they dont know is that its a tough process with serious FAA tests,

Unless you really dedicate your time and effort and immerse yourself in studding the FAA books and charts, youll be dropping out and lose the time and money already spent....

Offline yidsimple

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 07, 2015, 05:58:29 PM »

Unless you really dedicate your time and effort and immerse yourself in studding the FAA books and charts, youll be dropping out and lose the time and money already spent....

Very true, this is why I recommended the ground school first. I try to get students to pass the written test first this way they could dedicate all their effort into flying. When you start simultaneously the flying tend to get ahead of the book knowledge, and it drags things along.

Offline Achas Veachas

• View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #79 on: January 07, 2015, 06:42:11 PM »
I got my Private Pilots License in 2010 and really enjoy it a lot, flew to some beautiful destinations with shtank with both our planes on Chol Hamoed, flying out to the catskills almost weekly summer months.

Spoke to so many people and hear this again and again, "started working on my PPL but dropped out, never finished it"

This is whats happening, when you think about going for it you think it'll take a few months and ill have it and enjoy it,

Thanks for joining!

Another thing I was told is, make sure you have all your money ready upfront. Officially the dropout rate for aspiring pilots is between 60-70% but between those who have their finances in order before they start the rate is 8% (Though I got that statistic from a flyer for a company that does financing for flight schools so you might take it with a grain of salt).