Author Topic: giving blood, what to expect after?  (Read 1303 times)

Offline Pepvie

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
giving blood, what to expect after?
« on: December 02, 2014, 01:19:47 AM »
I have decided to give blood for the first time in my life. I've read that you can't do much physical activity after and you may feel drowsy the same day as well. I am a pretty active person, guessing I won't be able to go to the gym for a few days after? anything else to expect?

also, is there any long term affects to donating blood? I couldn't find anything online, I plan to start donating at least 3-4 times a year

Offline CS1

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • California Gourmet Premium Chocolate
  • Programs: DDSLA, DDSCLE, Bonvoy Titanium Feb 2025
Re: giving blood, what to expect after?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2014, 01:28:38 AM »
I have decided to give blood for the first time in my life. I've read that you can't do much physical activity after and you may feel drowsy the same day as well. I am a pretty active person, guessing I won't be able to go to the gym for a few days after? anything else to expect?

also, is there any long term affects to donating blood? I couldn't find anything online, I plan to start donating at least 3-4 times a year

I'm pretty sure that you can go to the gym the next day...
California Gourmet Belgian Nut-Free Chocolate Chips https://bit.ly/CaliforniaGourmetDirect

Offline yoshyosh

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 147
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2014, 01:34:08 AM »
I am a pretty active person, guessing I won't be able to go to the gym for a few days after? anything else to expect?
It depends on the person as to what they can do and how long after they can do it some ppl dont feel it and can continue on, I find its more on how experinced the person putting in the needle is to the recovery, but it shouldnt be mor than a day. some people wont give more then 2 times a year but most say waiting 56 days is all you need. http://www.redcrossblood.org/donating-blood/donation-faqs

Offline clear thinker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2014, 01:35:03 AM »
I'm pretty sure that you can go to the gym the next day...
+1 (I think)
And it's supposed to be very healthy to donate blood, because produces fresh.

Offline Emkay

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2014, 03:48:40 AM »

when I was in America I used to donate every couple months. Other than a half hour or so of light headedness everything was back to regular.
In Israel was a different story, I don't see myself doing it again here for some time.

Offline DMYD

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2014, 10:45:56 AM »
I gave probably 15-20 times already, if you drink enough before and after, and of course if the nurse who sticks the needle in to you knows what he/she is doing that you should be good to do what ever you want the next day.

Offline David R

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2014, 10:53:52 AM »
I gave probably 15-20 times already, if you drink enough before and after, and of course if the nurse who sticks the needle in to you knows what he/she is doing that you should be good to do what ever you want the next day.
Phlebotomist