Author Topic: Wifi Extender for Optimum Wifi?  (Read 63591 times)

Offline Thingywingy

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
Re: Wifi Extender for Optimum Wifi?
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2015, 04:09:47 AM »
You can connect with your computer or phone and login, then change the WiFi MAC address of the extender/router to match the one that you logged in with.
Mokos way doesn't seem to be working for me. I'm using a TP-link TL-WR940N. I tried following the instructions at http://www.tp-link.com/en/article/?faqid=227. If I do it your way I guess step #4 & 5 will look different. What would I do differently?
I am sometimes accused of overthinking things. I am still mulling over whether that accusation has merit.

Offline PTU

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2015, 09:44:37 AM »
My router stopped working.
Is there a way to hook my landline into my computer for GV?

Offline PTU

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2015, 05:17:44 PM »
My router stopped working.
Is there a way to hook my landline into my computer for GV?
I managed to bridge my internet connections on my win 7 laptop, but when I plugged in my obi it has an IP addresses but dosent work...

Offline DMYD

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2015, 10:29:44 PM »
Can anyone recommend a Wifi extender that they use and are happy with? TIA

Offline emak

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2015, 12:43:12 AM »
Can anyone recommend a Wifi extender that they use for Optimum and are happy with? TIA

Offline emak

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2015, 03:46:01 PM »
BUMP Anyone have a way to extend (neighbor's) Optimum to make it easier to access in my house? Does a Wi-Fi extender work for that?

Offline chulent613

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2016, 11:01:30 PM »
So I followed this

Yay! My obi is working.

But for some reason, my devices (phone, computer) can not login to the SSID "MY REPEATER" that I set up.
Can anyone think of a reason why?
TIA!

Any recommendations for a cheap router to set as a repeater for this?

Offline chulent613

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2016, 10:21:02 AM »
For all those that want to do this, you don't need a router/ repeater etc. I just set up my obi200 on optimum WiFi with just an obi200 + obiwifi. See below for instructions.

Go to a location where you can connect your obi via cable to the router and via WiFi.
Set up the obi and connect via both the router and wifi.
 You need to obtain the OBIWiFi MAC address, (not the obi200 Mac id) Here are the steps where it can be found:
***NOTE*** Be sure to have the Ethernet connection connected to your Router as well as the OBIWIFI USB device connected to the OBI USB Port prior to continuing. ***NOTE***

After running the normal setup *firmware update check (***6) etc..

At OBITALK.COM Sign in with your credentials - If you do not have a registered device - reg it on their site. Once in the OBITAlk.com site located the section "My OBi Endpoints" and select the device that you are configuring. Scroll down on the bottom of the page and locate "OBi Expert Configuration" - You will be prompted to continue and blah blah blah changes may cause device to not function if you do not know what your are doing... agree....

Continue and locate "Enter OBi Expert" button. Finally On the left side panel "Status" is among other sections of configurations Click on "System Status"; the right panel will display either:
1.) "Device is not online" See ***NOTE** above
or
2.) A display of the system configuration showing device information including the OBIWIFI MAC address.

After obtaining the OBIWIFI MAC address and configuring your filters on your router; you no longer need the Ethernet connection connected. Place your OBI Device anywhere in your house and enjoy. Don't forget to Enabling USB WIFI (*27) on device and configure it to connect to your home/office network.

Now you can go back home.
Go to optimum.com and add a device.
Put in the obiwifi mac ID where it says Mac ID, click other laptop.
Press *27 on the phone.
Follow the regular instructions to add a WiFi to the obiwifi.
Choose optimum WiFi.
No password.
Enjoy!!

Offline myi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 356
    • View Profile
  • Programs: 2Many2List!
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2016, 01:52:39 AM »
For all those that want to do this, you don't need a router/ repeater etc. I just set up my obi200 on optimum WiFi with just an obi200 + obiwifi. See below for instructions.

Go to a location where you can connect your obi via cable to the router and via WiFi.
Set up the obi and connect via both the router and wifi.
 You need to obtain the OBIWiFi MAC address, (not the obi200 Mac id) Here are the steps where it can be found:
***NOTE*** Be sure to have the Ethernet connection connected to your Router as well as the OBIWIFI USB device connected to the OBI USB Port prior to continuing. ***NOTE***

After running the normal setup *firmware update check (***6) etc..

At OBITALK.COM Sign in with your credentials - If you do not have a registered device - reg it on their site. Once in the OBITAlk.com site located the section "My OBi Endpoints" and select the device that you are configuring. Scroll down on the bottom of the page and locate "OBi Expert Configuration" - You will be prompted to continue and blah blah blah changes may cause device to not function if you do not know what your are doing... agree....

Continue and locate "Enter OBi Expert" button. Finally On the left side panel "Status" is among other sections of configurations Click on "System Status"; the right panel will display either:
1.) "Device is not online" See ***NOTE** above
or
2.) A display of the system configuration showing device information including the OBIWIFI MAC address.

After obtaining the OBIWIFI MAC address and configuring your filters on your router; you no longer need the Ethernet connection connected. Place your OBI Device anywhere in your house and enjoy. Don't forget to Enabling USB WIFI (*27) on device and configure it to connect to your home/office network.

Now you can go back home.
Go to optimum.com and add a device.
Put in the obiwifi mac ID where it says Mac ID, click other laptop.
Press *27 on the phone.
Follow the regular instructions to add a WiFi to the obiwifi.
Choose optimum WiFi.
No password.
Enjoy!!
Has anyone tried this above method? What's the latest Obi system to get for this to work? (And all I need is a plain computer screen?(meaning without any Internet) ,

Was this the same Obi which can be used for a free google voice phone number? (which was on ddms)?
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline chulent613

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2016, 06:37:54 AM »
Has anyone tried this above method? What's the latest Obi system to get for this to work? (And all I need is a plain computer screen?(meaning without any Internet) ,

Was this the same Obi which can be used for a free google voice phone number? (which was on ddms)?
I'm still using it.
I did it with the obi200.
You will need internet to set up the obi talk account and to access the obiwifi mac ID, as I wrote in the post.

Online yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2017, 07:30:17 PM »
I'm currently doing it with a simple router set as a repeater if you have auto login then your device will login automatically,  if not you will be prompted to enter login info. Since technically it's a public network you don't even need a password to logon with a repeater just a password to logon your device.
ETA: i dont know how secure it is for secure transactions.
Does this still work?

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2017, 12:32:07 AM »
Does this still work?
If it does a sibling of mine would be so happy, he's now living in a basement which has no cells except by the window optimum! 

Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline Yisroel Tech

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2017, 12:34:02 AM »
If it does a sibling of mine would be so happy, he's now living in a basement which has no cells except by the window optimum!
If he only uses one PC I'd go with a long-range antenna or his PC. Something like this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0038Q4AIG/

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2017, 12:36:39 AM »
If he only uses one PC I'd go with a long-range antenna or his PC. Something like this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0038Q4AIG/
what do you mean by pc? He only has a laptop down there, would that suffice? 
And no internet in the apt besides the cell phn and optimum outside

Offline Yisroel Tech

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2017, 12:39:05 AM »
what do you mean by pc? He only has a laptop down there, would that suffice? 
And no internet in the apt besides the cell phn and optimum outside
Laptop same thing. Meaning to say not if he needs several devices or if he needs wifi for his phone.

If he has Optimum signal at his windows, with this long range antenna he'd most likely have it in middle of the basement too.

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2017, 12:41:31 AM »
Laptop same thing. Meaning to say not if he needs several devices or if he needs wifi for his phone.

If he has Optimum signal at his windows, with this long range antenna he'd most likely have it in middle of the basement too.
That's exactly what he needs, but how would I know to set this up? What would I have to do to take the signal and stretch it? How would I log into the wifi to cause the antennas to extend it further? Thanks yisroel.

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2017, 12:43:11 AM »

He's always using his wife's phone which is verizon and could never use his which is T-mobile, or better I can never reach him!)-:

Offline Yisroel Tech

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2017, 12:49:17 AM »
That's exactly what he needs, but how would I know to set this up? What would I have to do to take the signal and stretch it? How would I log into the wifi to cause the antennas to extend it further? Thanks yisroel.
There's no real setup to do (except at some PCs installing the drivers that come on a disk). This isn't an extender for the WiFi but a new WiFi card for his laptop which is long range and can pick up signals farther away.

You just plug it in to the USB port on the computer and it shows up as WiFi 2 under which you'll find all the networks it finds just like the normal WiFi connection of the PC.

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2017, 12:51:40 AM »
There's no real setup to do (except at some PCs installing the drivers that come on a disk). This isn't an extender for the WiFi but a new WiFi card for his laptop which is long range and can pick up signals farther away.

You just plug it in to the USB port on the computer and it shows up as WiFi 2 under which you'll find all the networks it finds just like the normal WiFi connection of the PC.
That's amazing! That would work great for his PC, what about his cell phone is there anyway to actually pull the wifi deep into the basement where he can have the wifi work for his phone? 

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2017, 12:57:03 AM »

Would you know if T-mobile gives out a data extender box which would help boost the signal? (or a signal booster if that's what it's called?)