Author Topic: Wifi Extender for Optimum Wifi?  (Read 63441 times)

Offline Thingywingy

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
Re: Wifi Extender for Optimum Wifi?
« Reply #140 on: December 12, 2017, 06:07:32 PM »
So I followed this

Yay! My obi is working.

But for some reason, my devices (phone, computer) can not login to the SSID "MY REPEATER" that I set up.
Can anyone think of a reason why?
TIA!
I followed the linked instructions but had troube with step 4. There is no wireless mode "repeater". While OP writes that he is using DD-WRT v24 my router is using v3.0-r29396. I have a TP-Link WA901ND version3.

Would updating to this version work/help?
I am sometimes accused of overthinking things. I am still mulling over whether that accusation has merit.

Offline Thingywingy

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 12, 2017, 09:40:37 PM »
Should this work on my current version?
http://electrodisc.com/dd-wrt/atheros/repeater.htm
I am sometimes accused of overthinking things. I am still mulling over whether that accusation has merit.

Offline 4yourinfo

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 23, 2017, 10:48:40 PM »
I thought I'd share I finally got one of these https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01LW442N4?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_pd
And what do you know those lost wifi signals are back!! Getting 4 bars better than before maybe cause there's a small
antenna.. however not as fast like I hoped maybe cause it's been a while since my computer had internet updating stuff...and my computer recognized it immediately just had to click by the wifi settings "wifi 2"
The seller seemed to have raised the price here's a link to another one https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0759J2V74/ref=mp_s_a_1_85?ie=UTF8&qid=1514086921&sr=8-85&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=wifi+dual+band&dpPl=1&dpID=41Oej9tMDTL&ref=plSrch
Ebay may sell it cheaper but be careful I purchased one that was listed as dual but was only 2.4....

Offline ckmk47

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 08, 2018, 06:54:29 PM »
My father's laptop no longer connects with Optimum as of about 2 months ago, and now that I've read through this thread, I know why.
I think I need an antenna to  better catch the 5.8 that's outside his window. (My phone had optimum as a choice of wifi when standing outside.)
@Yisroel Tech or anyone else, can you recommend one?  Or tell me what to look for so I can shop for one? Sorry to bother you, but I don't know the difference between the $11.99 one, and the $37.99 one.  I was going to buy the second one, but I think it's only 2.4 not dual or 5.8.
Or do I need something else entirely?
Thanks.

This one?

« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 07:04:59 PM by ckmk47 »
My favorite cause: cssy.org

Offline Yisroel Tech

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 08, 2018, 07:07:55 PM »
My father's laptop no longer connects with Optimum as of about 2 months ago, and now that I've read through this thread, I know why.
I think I need an antenna to  better catch the 5.8 that's outside his window. (My phone had optimum as a choice of wifi when standing outside.)
@Yisroel Tech or anyone else, can you recommend one?  Or tell me what to look for so I can shop for one? Sorry to bother you, but I don't know the difference between the $11.99 one, and the $37.99 one.  I was going to buy the second one, but I think it's only 2.4 not dual or 5.8.
Or do I need something else entirely?
Thanks.
The first one is indeed dual-band but from a cheapo off-brand. The 2nd one is from a brand name and is very long range (and physically long) antenna and can possibly pick up a better signal, but is only 2.4 GHz.

The thing in the middle - and I would recommand this one - would be this dual-band one from Alfa https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073X6RL9D

Offline ckmk47

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 08, 2018, 09:06:22 PM »
Thank you very much!

Offline yitzf

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 08, 2018, 11:06:16 PM »
I don't want to get into the whole radiation debate because I don't know much about it, but you should realize that these antennas have an output power of 2000mW (2 watts) which really very high, so if you use it as your main internet and it's pretty close to you, then you might want to read up on the risks. I think the FCC legal limit is 1 watt for 2.4GHz.

If you're using this one in a while I wouldn't be so concerned, but if it's your regular internet connection it's something you should at least be aware of.

Perhaps someone with more knowledge can chime in.

Offline ckmk47

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 18, 2018, 03:30:29 AM »
Recap:
Dad's laptop doesn't get Optimum signal anymore.
Tried Yisroel Tech's recommendation to get a dual-band antenna from Alfa https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073X6RL9D

Unfortunately it only improves the signal to 'fair' in one side of the apartment and doesn't stay connected.

What do I try next?

Do I need something like this, or something else?

Offline ckmk47

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 25, 2018, 01:22:38 PM »
Recap:
Tried Yisroel Tech's recommendation to get a dual-band antenna from Alfa https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073X6RL9D

Unfortunately it only improves the signal to 'fair' in one side of the apartment and doesn't stay connected.

What do I try next?

Do I need something like this, or something else?
bump
Anyone have any advice?

Offline Yisroel Tech

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 25, 2018, 07:34:22 PM »
bump
Anyone have any advice?
It is very hard to just say things while not knowing really why it is happening what's happening... But maybe buy this longer range antenna and connect to the Alfa device you bought.

Offline ckmk47

• View Profile
« Reply #150 on: January 25, 2018, 07:53:25 PM »
It is very hard to just say things while not knowing really why it is happening what's happening... But maybe buy this longer range antenna and connect to the Alfa device you bought.
interesting.  Maybe I'll try that.  Thanks.

Offline ckmk47

• View Profile
« Reply #151 on: February 15, 2018, 02:40:12 AM »
Recap:

I got the https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MR90E3A  and it works!

Long version: The device has no wire- it's meant to be plugged right into the outlet. When I did that, it didn't improve the situation much. It's an old building with thick walls (and sometimes spotty cell service) so I used an extension cord and placed the device on the windowsill.  I'm not tech savvy enough, so I needed to call customer support  to walk me through the setup.   The device picks up  enough Optimum signal to repeat it throughout the apartment. We now have strong wifi!

Thank you @Yisroel Tech and everyone else who kibitz.
You've made my father and me very happy.

Offline Thingywingy

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 20, 2018, 10:29:44 PM »
I got the https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MR90E3A  and it works!

Long version: The device has no wire- it's meant to be plugged right into the outlet. When I did that, it didn't improve the situation much. It's an old building with thick walls (and sometimes spotty cell service) so I used an extension cord and placed the device on the windowsill.  I'm not tech savvy enough, so I needed to call customer support  to walk me through the setup.   The device picks up  enough Optimum signal to repeat it throughout the apartment. We now have strong wifi!

Thank you @Yisroel Tech and everyone else who kibitz.
You've made my father and me very happy.
With optimum you need to login into access the internet. Usually that is done through the browser. How did you get this extender logged into optimum?
Also there many Wi-Fi extenders in Amazon in the $30 range. Does yours have some features that really make it worth $120?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 10:33:45 PM by Thingywingy »

Offline ckmk47

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 20, 2018, 10:35:41 PM »
With optimum you need to login into access the internet. Usually that is done through the browser. How did you get this extender logged into optimum?
When setting up the extender, there came a point where it asked for our Optimum login.  Truthfully, when I was working on it, I had trouble, but my sister tried it the next day and was given the option of logging in.

Offline Eliyohu

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 20, 2018, 11:26:04 PM »

Also there many Wi-Fi extenders in Amazon in the $30 range. Does yours have some features that really make it worth $120?

This extender is particularly strong. And for some reason the firmware on most of these extenders won't pull up the optimum log in page (even if done by typing in the web address), this one does. I tried other tp links that didn't work.. some Netgears work and some don't...

Offline Thingywingy

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 20, 2018, 11:42:52 PM »

This extender is particularly strong. And for some reason the firmware on most of these extenders won't pull up the optimum log in page (even if done by typing in the web address), this one does. I tried other tp links that didn't work.. some Netgears work and some don't...
I saw the TP-Link AC1750 Wi-Fi Range Extender RE450  is recommended by WireCutter. Have you tried this one? Is there some feature to look for that would allow you to login to Optimum?

Offline ckmk47

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 21, 2018, 12:02:58 AM »
Don't these all just resend the wifi signals it finds, so that your computer will know that optimum is there?
Then you logon as usual.

Offline Thingywingy

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 21, 2018, 12:12:43 AM »
Don't these all just resend the wifi signals it finds, so that your computer will know that optimum is there?
Then you logon as usual.
@Eliyohu  What say you?

Offline Yisroel Tech

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 21, 2018, 01:27:59 AM »
Then you logon as usual.
No, it doesn't. It connects to a particular WiFi and resends "its" signals.

Offline Eliyohu

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: March 21, 2018, 08:36:31 AM »
I saw the TP-Link AC1750 Wi-Fi Range Extender RE450  is recommended by WireCutter. Have you tried this one? Is there some feature to look for that would allow you to login to Optimum?
I would imagine the firmware on this model is the same as the more expensive model and should work.
Then you logon as usual.
@Eliyohu  What say you?
The extender is extending a particular signal that you connect it to. I don't understand how it works, however what it would seem to me is that optimum attempts to load the logon page on the extender as if it's the device your trying to use and based on the firmware of the particular extender it'll pass that on to your device. My hesitation with this reasoning is that adding the extenders MAC address to your Optimum account to automatically login doesn't help. The only thing it might be  part of a range of Mac addresses that they don't recognize.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 08:41:23 AM by Eliyohu »