Author Topic: Remote Desktop  (Read 5604 times)

Offline aaa

• Forum Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Remote Desktop
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2010, 10:01:40 PM »
Does anyone know if with any of these programs I can remotely lock and unlock a computer? Or restart it? Im guessing that restart is for sure impossible....

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2010, 10:19:46 PM »
Does anyone know if with any of these programs I can remotely lock and unlock a computer? Or restart it? Im guessing that restart is for sure impossible....

Yes, LMI free does this. But you have to make sure LMI in set-up properly, or it won't let you log on when the computer restarts.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline elikay

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2010, 10:23:49 PM »
I've never tried it but I believe that showmypc also supports restart.
As an aside, I once had a problem with a norton program which would crash on me, and some guy in India was busy on my comuter for over an hour (I think it was over 2 hours) and he kept working and restarting etc... (I left for Maariv in the middle! at the end he was not even able to figure out the problem). I think he use LMI.

Offline aaa

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2010, 11:26:49 PM »
Yes, LMI free does this. But you have to make sure LMI in set-up properly, or it won't let you log on when the computer restarts.

Wow. How does it keep the connection open? And obviously you meant that lock/unlock work too in that case.

You mean default settings dont allow and I have to change it to allow?

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2010, 11:36:25 PM »
Wow. How does it keep the connection open? And obviously you meant that lock/unlock work too in that case.

It doesn't keep the connection open, though there is a wakeup option if your computer hardware supports it (using a technology called wake-on-LAN), but I'm not well versed with how it works.  You can set your LMI to lock your desktop when you disconnect, and you can unlock it by reconnecting.

What I meant is that sometimes when the computer powers, the logmein doesn't initialize before the login screen, and then you can't access the computer remotely until someone logs into it.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline Chaikel

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 20
    • View Profile
  • Programs: LH SEN, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Rav Kav Platinum
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2010, 12:34:57 AM »

Teamviewer can be installed as a service (I think it's the default in the current version), and you can access the computer during log-in.
Locking and unlocking a computer remotely and restarting should be available on almost every RD app. The only one that I know of that makes it difficult for you is Microsoft's built in program
Create professional looking itineraries.
Check out eliteitinerary.com

Offline ceejay

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2010, 10:44:53 AM »
It doesn't keep the connection open, though there is a wakeup option if your computer hardware supports it (using a technology called wake-on-LAN), but I'm not well versed with how it works.  You can set your LMI to lock your desktop when you disconnect, and you can unlock it by reconnecting.

What I meant is that sometimes when the computer powers, the logmein doesn't initialize before the login screen, and then you can't access the computer remotely until someone logs into it.

Sorry but that just isn't true. Logmein install as a service using a SYSTEM login which initializes prior to to actual user login.

In order for Logmein to turn on a totally shutdown PC there must be another Logmein client on the same network (and WOL must be enabled.). The reason for this being is the way that Logmein transverses NAT is that the client initiates to the Logmein server. The client being turned off obviously can't connect to Logmein's servers and denfintely cant send a WOL packet to itself. Very cool work around Logmein came up with.

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2010, 11:59:29 AM »
Sorry but that just isn't true. Logmein install as a service using a SYSTEM login which initializes prior to to actual user login.

In order for Logmein to turn on a totally shutdown PC there must be another Logmein client on the same network (and WOL must be enabled.). The reason for this being is the way that Logmein transverses NAT is that the client initiates to the Logmein server. The client being turned off obviously can't connect to Logmein's servers and denfintely cant send a WOL packet to itself. Very cool work around Logmein came up with.

I've personally had issues with LMI not loading prior to log-on, so don't tell me it always does. Maybe I'm the exception to the rule.

As far as the WOL is concerned, I specifically stated I'm not well versed in how it works, but in the right conditions (which you specified), it is possible.

Offline herb

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2023, 10:22:34 AM »
Can anyone recommend products that are practical for working remotely while traveling? Recs for second screen,
Mouse, keyboard etc...

Offline lcm

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2023, 06:20:38 AM »
Can anyone recommend products that are practical for working remotely while traveling? Recs for second screen,
Mouse, keyboard etc...
Keep in mind there are some apps that let you turn your tablet into a second monitor for your laptop.
You may want to get Bluetooth peripherals for traveling, both so you don't have to worry about losing dongles, as well as not using up port space.
If the only reason you need a keyboard when traveling is for numpad, there are standalone modules.