Topic Wiki

Hi,
I am going to Los Angeles in june and wanted to find the best price for my car rental and wanted to know any tips to do so. In addition I am under 25 so any ways to get that under age fee waved would be great. thanx
« Last edited by themisc on February 16, 2016, 04:29:24 PM »

Author Topic: Car Rentals for Beginners  (Read 22754 times)

Offline Mountain Man

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
Re: Car Rentals for Beginners
« Reply #80 on: May 12, 2016, 09:42:11 AM »
ok so im a executive member @ national and always rent there. however the prices in lax for fox, advantage, payless and e z car  are just to good to ignore is it really that bad??? the reviews say yes.. the savings is a few hundreds dollars any advice on those companies? thanks

My experience with Fox was so so/ not great in LA. I had a confirmed luxury (Chrysler 300) but it wasn't available and I waited half an hour until I was downgraded to an SUV. This coupled with a 20+ minute wait had me in sorts. The truth is though had I not been deadset on the "Luxury" car I could've been out 20 minutes earlier. Returning was also a pain and took 20 minutes longer than usual because I returned a vehicle that was different than I originally rented.

On the other hand the price I paid for the day was ~$15 after their concessions. The car (Rav4) was also well taken care of. So the price was great. Service was horrible though they did knock down $15 off an already very cheap price essentially giving the car away before taxes. If you're ok with a longer line and not picky on what you are given then go for it. Skip the Chrysler 300 though; was totally not worth wasting precious vacation time.

I was looking the other night as Sixt.com though because of the Amex offer. I'm also National Executive but I'm strongly debating paying ~$160 for a one way 3 day rental to SJC in a confirmed Mercedes GLA or similar. Pricing on a BMW x3, BMW 5 series and similiar are also just slightly more and price out much better than Silvercar (plus Silvercar doesn't do one way rentals). National Midsize is pricing slightly less and I know you get to choose your vehicle at National and the service is great but a confirmed luxury is very appealing for a 10 hour coastal highway drive.
Quote from: JTZ link=topic=10531.msg1695873
If you never had to eat crow then you lived one boring life.

Offline Mountain Man

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 12, 2016, 09:50:44 AM »
Does anyone know if there is a problem renting from advantage? Thanks - a lot cheaper for Hawaii trip
If they are anything like LGA don't even bother. At LGA, at night, they have one guy responsible for all the jobs. That includes, renting, pulling up vehicle, cleaning, etc. It takes 20 minutes per person at least. a 6 person line at 11:30 at night will last until 2 am easy.

My suggestion is to use the Southwest car rental tool (right next to hotel and flight). Book yourself two (or more) reservations and see how bad the line is when you get there. I do this all the time when renting from these cheap companies. Cancellations are free and in my experience that includes even if you forget to cancel. Just make sure to have a printout of your reservation and tick and tie the price carefully because Aadvantage/Payless have tried to over charge me everytime. If you cancel before the reservation time you can do it in the app very easily. This will save you the risk of being in a never ending line or having them deny a rental if you don't overpay. Basically it gives you options.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 09:56:08 AM by Mountain Man »
Quote from: JTZ link=topic=10531.msg1695873
If you never had to eat crow then you lived one boring life.

Offline E-MAN

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 29, 2016, 05:38:32 PM »
Not sure where to post this, but does anyone have experience renting from Sixt?
I'm going to LA for 5 days next week and see I cant rent a premium car (Mercedes CLA or similar) for $171.43 total if I pre-pay, which is cheaper than everywhere else for a regular car!
Any reason not to take this?

Offline sedge

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 29, 2016, 05:50:03 PM »
Not sure where to post this, but does anyone have experience renting from Sixt?
I'm going to LA for 5 days next week and see I cant rent a premium car (Mercedes CLA or similar) for $171.43 total if I pre-pay, which is cheaper than everywhere else for a regular car!
Any reason not to take this?
Sixt will give Platinum status if you have any WE MC.

Offline E-MAN

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 29, 2016, 05:52:22 PM »
Sixt will give Platinum status if you have any WE MC.
Thank you for the response, but not sure how that answers my question.
I found a great deal with Sixt and just want to know if any reason not to take it. Right now I have a reservation with National for a car from their emerald aisle for $30 more.

Offline sedge

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 29, 2016, 05:57:20 PM »
Thank you for the response, but not sure how that answers my question.
I found a great deal with Sixt and just want to know if any reason not to take it. Right now I have a reservation with National for a car from their emerald aisle for $30 more.
15% discount and two-level upgrades. You might be able to do even better on the Mercedes is what I'm saying if you get platinum status. Just a suggestion. Worth a try. I've had great experiences with them, particularly in the Los Angeles area.

Offline E-MAN

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 29, 2016, 06:04:03 PM »
15% discount and two-level upgrades. You might be able to do even better on the Mercedes is what I'm saying if you get platinum status. Just a suggestion. Worth a try. I've had great experiences with them, particularly in the Los Angeles area.
Thanks.
How did you request platinum status? I can probably status match from National too

Offline sedge

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 29, 2016, 06:24:54 PM »
Thanks.
How did you request platinum status? I can probably status match from National too

You can email them your elite status screenshot from most any car rental hotel or airline. I used Hyatt Diamond.

OR

If you hold a WorldElite MasterCard, you can sign up for complimentary Platinum status in Sixt’s loyalty program. To activate the status, simply call a MasterCard travel advisor at 1-855-802-1387 (just like you would for Avis and National). TPG quote

Offline gubevo18

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 20, 2017, 12:38:49 AM »
When renting through Costcotravel, officially you have to be a member. My membership expired already but I am still able to make reservations. Will I have any problems when picking up the car?

Offline Ddrill

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 20, 2017, 01:53:54 PM »
hi im 19 and would like to know if there is a way to wave underage fee without breaking halachos

Online mmgfarb

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: June 20, 2017, 02:00:16 PM »
hi im 19 and would like to know if there is a way to wave underage fee without breaking halachos
With hertz you can waive the fee with either the yeshiva code, USAA or AAA.
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Offline gubevo18

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 20, 2017, 10:33:04 PM »
When renting through Costcotravel, officially you have to be a member. My membership expired already but I am still able to make reservations. Will I have any problems when picking up the car?
Update: all my reservations including previous ones were cancelled automatically without any email letting me know.

Offline yochiek93

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 21, 2017, 01:20:49 PM »
What do you mean without breaking halachos?

Online mmgfarb

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 21, 2017, 03:10:50 PM »
What do you mean without breaking halachos?
He wants DDF to become his LOR, something we're very good at here.
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Offline Aps

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 10, 2017, 10:31:13 AM »
HI everyone. I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but ill guess well try and see if it works out.
When you search on priceline or other booking sites, there's all these car rental companies that are many times much cheaper then the regular avis, hertz and budget. Can anybody share they're experience or opinion on companies like:
1- Alamo
2-Dollar
3- sixt   (I'm talking about in the U.S.)
4- thrifty ( Again-in the US )

Or the even less heard of ones like:
1-Ace
2-Advantage
3-E-Z
4-Fox
5-Payless

Thnx!

Offline av83

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 10, 2017, 12:37:35 PM »
anyone have experience positive or negative using this avis corp code state of Florida AWD #A113400?

Offline sillypainter

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 14, 2017, 01:43:32 PM »
Not sure where to post this. I reserved the Avis 3 Hour Porsche deal in FRA for 99.10 Euros, but I see now that the Sapphire Reserve card does not cover Porsche vehicles. Any other card that covers it?

Offline yitrap

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 14, 2017, 02:01:20 PM »
Not sure where to post this. I reserved the Avis 3 Hour Porsche deal in FRA for 99.10 Euros, but I see now that the Sapphire Reserve card does not cover Porsche vehicles. Any other card that covers it?
Try the Citi Prestige, they have a pretty inclusive coverage.

Offline sillypainter

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 14, 2017, 02:12:07 PM »
Try the Citi Prestige, they have a pretty inclusive coverage.

I don't have the PRESTIGE card, but I do see that my stupid Double Cash card from Citi covers anything as long as it's not more than 50K, and Avis does provide coverage with a $1500 deductible, so I guess the DC will be the best card to use. I will of course change CC once I am back and there is no damage to avoid the FX fee.

Thoughts?

Offline yitrap

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 14, 2017, 02:20:37 PM »
I don't have the PRESTIGE card, but I do see that my stupid Double Cash card from Citi covers anything as long as it's not more than 50K, and Avis does provide coverage with a $1500 deductible, so I guess the DC will be the best card to use. I will of course change CC once I am back and there is no damage to avoid the FX fee.

Thoughts?
Putpac to confirm.