Author Topic: Obamacare Master thread  (Read 199438 times)

Offline elit

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Obamacare Master thread
« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2016, 08:21:39 AM »

And why exactly is this Obama's fault ?

Premiums have always been going up. Forever. They were constantly going up far higher. They were going up almost 50% pre Obamacare. In fact Obama care has managed to try to keep a lid on those raises.

Obamacare might not be the best we got, but it surly is contributing to keeping healthcare costs down.
It's true that b4 Obama care the premiums were going up every year also (at least for healthy NY) but the coverage was much better. And at best he has just kept the status quo which would is a complete waste of millions if not billions of tax dollars and political time and energy setting this up and accomplishing nothing

Offline Matovu

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond,
« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2016, 08:44:51 AM »
It's true that b4 Obama care the premiums were going up every year also (at least for healthy NY) ...

Exactly.
Plenty to blame Obama for, not on healthcare though. On this issue he's stuck his neck out to help and do good. So Despite all you hear, the criticism  might not all be warranted.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 09:03:14 AM by Matovu »

Offline elit

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2016, 08:58:36 AM »

Offline mgarfin

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2016, 09:05:27 AM »
It's true that b4 Obama care the premiums were going up every year also (at least for healthy NY) but the coverage was much better. And at best he has just kept the status quo which would is a complete waste of millions if not billions of tax dollars and political time and energy setting this up and accomplishing nothing

And what's with all the ppl that can afford coverage now.

BTW the NY Essential Plan is real benefit from Obama!

Offline elit

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2016, 09:13:34 AM »
And what's with all the ppl that can afford coverage now.

BTW the NY Essential Plan is real benefit from Obama!
I can only know about NY and here there was already healthy NY which was cheaper and better coverage. What's the essential plan? The catastrophic plan?

Offline mgarfin

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2016, 09:23:47 AM »
I can only know about NY and here there was already healthy NY which was cheaper and better coverage. What's the essential plan? The catastrophic plan?

Google it you'll find the info.
For my part, a family of 6 can make up to 65k and get medicad like coverage for $40-90 a month.

Offline elit

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 01, 2016, 09:29:31 AM »
Google it you'll find the info.
For my part, a family of 6 can make up to 65k and get medicad like coverage for $40-90 a month.
Did. Looks exactly like family health plus which already existed pre Obamacare and who can live in NY with a family of 6 on 65k..... next....

Online yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2016, 12:05:46 AM »
The essential plan is a great option for those who are just above the income limites for Medicaid. But, if it's offered  due to Obamacare, then why is NYS the only state offering the Essential plan, and why only now? Not two years ago.

Offline elit

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 02, 2016, 07:15:37 AM »
The essential plan is a great option for those who are just above the income limites for Medicaid. But, if it's offered  due to Obamacare, then why is NYS the only state offering the Essential plan, and why only now? Not two years ago.
It's the exact same thing as FHP such was terminated when Obama care started

Offline ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
« Reply #49 on: August 08, 2016, 11:12:51 PM »
Exactly.
Plenty to blame Obama for, not on healthcare though. On this issue he's stuck his neck out to help and do good. So Despite all you hear, the criticism  might not all be warranted.
You probably saw a personal benefit from Obamacare, but from my experience (and I probably have a lot more than yours) Obamacare hurt more people than it helped in NY.

More importantly, I am convinced that Rush Limbaugh was exactly on the mark when he said it was INTENTIONALLY designed to fail (so that they can come with the next fix - single payor). Anyone with a little understanding of how insurance works could see that there is no way it could lead to lower costs.

The entire approach was flawed from the outset. Trying to apply a Federal law to State regulated business. While initially it seemed like competition increased, with new insurers coming to market, those insurers are either totally collapsing or having to adjust to the realities of pricing the risks, that the experienced players have known all along.

There's a lot more to be said, but the bottom line is that Obamacare will not exist 5 years from now. It simply is unsustainable.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2016, 06:16:56 PM »
Some more fallout from Obamacare.

NY insurer forced to increase premiums more than they actually wanted to:

https://hosting.fnainsurance.com/images/Care_Connect_Message_Pres_23_percent_8-16.pdf
-- Dan

Online yelped

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 15, 2016, 07:38:25 PM »
Some more fallout from Obamacare.

NY insurer forced to increase premiums more than they actually wanted to:

https://hosting.fnainsurance.com/images/Care_Connect_Message_Pres_23_percent_8-16.pdf
This is so against the free market system, it is retarded that they can mandate all this...

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 15, 2016, 09:39:41 PM »
This is so against the free market system, it is retarded that they can mandate all this...
If you understand how insurance works, the NYS insurance department (or DFS) is acting prudently to make sure we don't end up with another insurer that is forced to buckle because they mispriced their risks.

There's a reason why the established insurers were priced higher than the newcomers when the marketplace rolled out. They knew the real costs of the risks for the market. The newcomers were initially allowed to use flawed actuarial assumptions to price plans low enough in order to create a facade that Obamacare actually made things more affordable.

Now that the law is established (and penalties kicking in - an entire new level of bureaucracy) prices are adjusting to reality, but it's too late to roll the whole thing back.

Rush Limbaugh was right, it was designed to fail as an interim step for a total government takeover.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 09:43:56 PM by ExGingi »
-- Dan

Online yelped

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 15, 2016, 11:19:44 PM »
If you understand how insurance works, the NYS insurance department (or DFS) is acting prudently to make sure we don't end up with another insurer that is forced to buckle because they mispriced their risks.

There's a reason why the established insurers were priced higher than the newcomers when the marketplace rolled out. They knew the real costs of the risks for the market. The newcomers were initially allowed to use flawed actuarial assumptions to price plans low enough in order to create a facade that Obamacare actually made things more affordable.

Now that the law is established (and penalties kicking in - an entire new level of bureaucracy) prices are adjusting to reality, but it's too late to roll the whole thing back.

Rush Limbaugh was right, it was designed to fail as an interim step for a total government takeover.

Got it.

Offline Moshe123

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Lost
« Reply #54 on: August 16, 2016, 12:14:33 AM »
And now Aetna is backing out from 70% of the exchanges.

Offline Matovu

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 16, 2016, 01:01:24 AM »
The premiums going up would have risen more without the law.

Obamacare will cost $2.6 trillion less over five years than earlier estimated,

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/opinion/op-ed/article95120132.html#storylink=cpy

Offline Matovu

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 16, 2016, 01:04:38 AM »
You probably saw a personal benefit from Obamacare, but from my experience (and I probably have a lot more than yours) Obamacare hurt more people than it helped in NY.

More importantly, I am convinced that Rush Limbaugh was exactly on the mark when he said it was INTENTIONALLY designed to fail (so that they can come with the next fix - single payor). Anyone with a little understanding of how insurance works could see that there is no way it could lead to lower costs.

The entire approach was flawed from the outset. Trying to apply a Federal law to State regulated business. While initially it seemed like competition increased, with new insurers coming to market, those insurers are either totally collapsing or having to adjust to the realities of pricing the risks, that the experienced players have known all along.

There's a lot more to be said, but the bottom line is that Obamacare will not exist 5 years from now. It simply is unsustainable.

Trying to apply federal law to state regulated business was a republican idea called free enterprise. Capitalism. The Republicans wrote this law the voted against it. GIYF and you'll be in for a shock.

Limbaugh may be right, but we should be happy. Medicaid is Gov run and works perfectly fine. In fact it can somtimes be the gold of all plans. Medicare and Veteran Affairs are getting quality care. [Please jump on me after finding some bad news storied problems here and there. I'm talking generally speaking]

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 16, 2016, 02:39:02 AM »

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/opinion/op-ed/article95120132.html#storylink=cpy
And I have a bridge to sell you for a good price.

I am the first to acknowledge that we had a flawed system, but rather than addressing the fundamental flaws, Obamacare created an even worse system with added complexity and compliance overhead at all levels.
-- Dan

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 16, 2016, 02:54:32 AM »
Trying to apply federal law to state regulated business was a republican idea called free enterprise. Capitalism. The Republicans wrote this law the voted against it. GIYF and you'll be in for a shock.

Limbaugh may be right, but we should be happy. Medicaid is Gov run and works perfectly fine. In fact it can somtimes be the gold of all plans. Medicare and Veteran Affairs are getting quality care. [Please jump on me after finding some bad news storied problems here and there. I'm talking generally speaking]
Romney couldn't argue against it because a lot of it was modeled after what he did in MA.

A simple tweak such as allowing insurance to be sold across state lines might have brought about competition amongst states for the insurance business.

As for Medicaid being gold - you're out of your mind. At least in NYC it's platinum+. While private employers might be penalized for providing "Cadillac" plans, medicaid could easily be classified as such, and so are many union plans that are exempt from penalties for providing "Cadillac" plans.

Lastly, just like Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac exist despite the fact that they were insolvent several years ago (and might also now be insolvent if sound accounting principles were applied), so too Medicaid and Medicare would be shut down if they were private program. But in government and politics there is always a future where we can tax, cut benefits, etc etc. Ask any accountant and they will tell you that the can of insolvency can be kicked down the road with just a few accounting adjustments. No problem is solved, it's just kicked down the road to when the current politicians won't have to pay the price of hard choices.
-- Dan

Offline thaber

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 16, 2016, 03:04:00 AM »

Baloney. I'm paying more than double for my family than I was 3 years ago, and almost every top tier doctor in the city of los angeles won't take any insurance anymore. So both I and my wife had to switch doctors more than once. Cedars Sinai Medical Center and UCLA, the two best hospitals in town, take 2 insurances. 2. So I'm paying a ton more, have a 10K deductible instead of a 2500 deductible, and still have to worry about finding a decent doctor. And everyone I know who was paying their own way before (not on welfare of some sort) has the same issue.