Author Topic: Obamacare Master thread  (Read 199572 times)

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
Re: Obamacare Master thread
« Reply #700 on: May 09, 2021, 12:19:04 PM »
Was this the case pre Obamacare? I don’t believe in a free market this would be an issue... correct me if I’m wrong...
At this point only HealthShares cover anywhere... they’re all terrible and unreliable... I’m hoping United Refuah is better... does anyone have experience with them?
It’s not a free market because you can’t buy insurance without also subsidizing it for sicker people. How much of it is direct regulation as opposed to resultant market forces I don’t know.

In a free market, somebody like @Dan would pay $100/mo for catastrophe insurance with a $100k deductible as opposed to paying that $100k every six years for insurance that is much more restricted in its catastrophic coverage.

I wonder if there are offshore insurers that would offer that. In general global insurance plans prohibit US residents.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2021, 12:23:17 PM by PlatinumGuy »
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #701 on: May 09, 2021, 12:25:39 PM »
People with serious pre existing conditions are paying less than they would without this. In some cases it’s the difference between life and death. Many situations aren’t covered by mandatory emergency room treatment.

We can argue if the price is worth it and if there are better ways to accomplish it, but it’s closing your eyes to pretend there is no benefit.

As I pointed out earlier in this thread, Health Insurance is regulated by the states, even after Obamacare! ACA complicated things by throwing in a Federal mandate into a state-regulated business.

The major change that Obamacare made in NY was creating the ability to purchase health insurance as an individual (rather than only employer-based plans). I haven't heard of anyone not being able to purchase insurance or having to pay higher rates due to pre-existing conditions in NY.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #702 on: May 09, 2021, 12:28:42 PM »
As I pointed out earlier in this thread, Health Insurance is regulated by the states, even after Obamacare! ACA complicated things by throwing in a Federal mandate into a state-regulated business.

The major change that Obamacare made in NY was creating the ability to purchase health insurance as an individual (rather than only employer-based plans). I haven't heard of anyone not being able to purchase insurance or having to pay higher rates due to pre-existing conditions in NY.
So NY imposed the main aspect of Obamacare even beforehand?

How is it possible somebody with a transplanted organ or etc would pay the same premium as a healthy person without government manipulation?
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #703 on: May 09, 2021, 12:32:58 PM »
So NY imposed the main aspect of Obamacare even beforehand?

How is it possible somebody with a transplanted organ or etc would pay the same premium as a healthy person without government manipulation?

NY has had community rating ever since I can remember. The rates that @Dan posted for his plans would have been a remote dream in NY. Also in NY there's no difference between 1 child and 20 children in a family.
-- Dan

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #704 on: May 09, 2021, 12:36:16 PM »
the post it was replying to
Why are those mutually exclusive
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #705 on: May 09, 2021, 12:37:14 PM »
NY has had community rating ever since I can remember. The rates that @Dan posted for his plans would have been a remote dream in NY. Also in NY there's no difference between 1 child and 20 children in a family.
What’s stopping a company in Switzerland from offering a NYS resident a plan like that? Lack of negotiating power with the hospitals & providers? That’s a big argument against price transparency...

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #706 on: May 09, 2021, 12:52:48 PM »
What’s stopping a company in Switzerland from offering a NYS resident a plan like that? Lack of negotiating power with the hospitals & providers? That’s a big argument against price transparency...

One of the big arguments against Obamacare was that it didn't allow cross-border competition. Let the states compete with their insurance regulations and let anyone buy from whichever state suits them.

There are no NY individual plans that offer out of network coverage, and most will not cover out of state, as they have created more limited networks since the advent of Obamacare.
-- Dan

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #707 on: May 09, 2021, 12:56:39 PM »
One of the big arguments against Obamacare was that it didn't allow cross-border competition. Let the states compete with their insurance regulations and let anyone buy from whichever state suits them.

There are no NY individual plans that offer out of network coverage, and most will not cover out of state, as they have created more limited networks since the advent of Obamacare.
How does that stop offshore companies?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #708 on: May 09, 2021, 12:58:00 PM »
Economically, it seems like you’d be much better off with a $50k+ deductible. I guess that’s made illegal by Obamacare because then you wouldn’t be paying in to the system enough to pay for sicker people?

Or it just market forces making it unattractive for insurers to offer higher deductibles?
I get to write off the deductible and health expenses via HSA.
I think the max HSA deductible allowed is $14K, but locally I don't see plans higher than $10K.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #709 on: May 09, 2021, 01:02:33 PM »
NY has had community rating ever since I can remember. The rates that @Dan posted for his plans would have been a remote dream in NY.
Really?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #710 on: May 09, 2021, 01:04:19 PM »
I get to write off the deductible and health expenses via HSA.
I think the max HSA deductible allowed is $14K, but locally I don't see plans higher than $10K.
Maybe brokers would have access to plans with lower premiums and higher deductibles?

If you could get on an offshore plan and stop subsidizing care for others, it could be worth losing the deduction if it goes over $14k

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #711 on: May 09, 2021, 01:12:10 PM »
2021: 2 adults, 4 children

$1,500/person deductible/$3,000 family deductible =$27,210/year premium (+8.7%)
$3,000/person deductible/$6,000 family deductible = $21,829/year premium (+8.6%)
$4,000/person deductible/$8,000 family deductible= $19,411‬/year premium (+8.6%)
$5,000/person deductible/$10,000 family deductible = $16,476/year premium  (+8.6%)

Compare this to the lowest priced HSA compatible plan in Kings County, NY (which is actually new for 2021, prior years didn't have competitive HSA plans):

Or the next lowest priced HSA compatible plans:

There are no Silver or Gold HSA compatible plans on the individual marketplace. Those might be available for employer groups.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2021, 01:16:11 PM by ExGingi »
-- Dan

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #712 on: May 09, 2021, 02:10:46 PM »
To illustrate what the real cost of insurance is without paying for sicker people, this company offers insurance for families like @Dan’s in the US for $2700/yr with a $10k deductible and $1m max / $3100/yr $5m max. No ‘network’, any care provider is covered...

But has this language to exclude most Americans
To qualify as an “expatriate health plan,” substantially all of the primary enrollees must be “qualified expatriates.” A “qualified expatriate” is a primary insured meeting all of the following:

Qualified Expatriates in the U.S.:

The individual’s skills, qualification, job duties, or expertise is of a type that has caused the employer to assign him to the U.S. for a specific temporary purpose or assignment tied to employment; and

In connection with such transfer or assignment, the plan sponsor reasonably determines that the individual will require access to health insurance in multiple countries, and is offered other multi-national benefits on a periodic basis (e.g., tax equalization benefits, cross-border moving expenses, compensation to enable the expatriate to return to his home country);

https://purchase.imglobal.com/Purchase/global_medical/insured-demographic

I wonder if there is an offshore company that doesn’t exclude normal US citizen residents...
« Last Edit: May 09, 2021, 02:18:00 PM by PlatinumGuy »

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: May 09, 2021, 02:13:46 PM »
Compare this to the lowest priced HSA compatible plan in Kings County, NY (which is actually new for 2021, prior years didn't have competitive HSA plans):

Or the next lowest priced HSA compatible plans:

There are no Silver or Gold HSA compatible plans on the individual marketplace. Those might be available for employer groups.
Wow. I guess I'm getting a deal :P

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #714 on: May 09, 2021, 02:23:40 PM »
Wow. I guess I'm getting a deal :P

No word about the pros of CLE? Was your account sold/hacked?  :P

If anything Obamacare is becoming the great equalizer, more and more localities are going to face what New Yorkers have faced for years. If you are able to buy any plan with any Out of Network benefits, consider yourself lucky. Individual plans in NY don't have that (I am referring to downstate NY, IDK what goes on further upstate or Western NY).

2021 is the first year since the NY Individual Marketplace has been in operation that I have seen HSA compatible plans that actually make sense (in comparison to non HSA compatible plans).
-- Dan

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #715 on: May 09, 2021, 02:33:51 PM »
If anything Obamacare is becoming the great equalizer, more and more localities are going to face what New Yorkers have faced for years.

Like most equalizers, it makes everyone have equally bad options.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #716 on: May 09, 2021, 02:42:05 PM »
Like most equalizers, it makes everyone have equally bad options.

Yup. Usually, the term "the great equalizer" refers to a shotgun, a machete or something of sorts.
-- Dan

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #717 on: July 20, 2021, 11:36:14 AM »
https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/07/16/hospital-cost-transparency/

Who in the world came up with the $300/day figure. That isn't even a rounding error in the petty cash account of hospitals!

Let's see a $300,000/day fine with compound increases of 1% per day for delays and no ability to have it reduced.
-- Dan

Offline yelped

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: July 20, 2021, 02:58:37 PM »
$300/day? That is ridiculous.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #719 on: July 20, 2021, 03:01:39 PM »
$300/day? That is ridiculous.

Ridiculous is an understatement.

No wonder hospitals ignore it.

Who is going to pick up this cause and make a big issue out of it?
-- Dan