Author Topic: Paradise Found: A "Holiday" to New Zealand in the Chariots of Kings  (Read 158240 times)

Offline Hershelsdeals

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: Paradise Found: A "Holiday" to New Zealand in the Chariots of Kings
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2014, 04:16:02 PM »

Don't get jealous. Get even :)

I'll will definitely try.

Offline JoeCha

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Avis President's Club, Expedia+ Silver
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2014, 06:10:51 PM »

How many people you know earn >$150 an hour?

I certainly don't.
I was just kidding.

I am about to pull off next week an 'around the world' trip in 42 hours.
Outbound is CX F over the Pacific, but I'm still looking for an inbound over the Atlantic.

I have a backup CX J ticket for the return, but pilot is taking the Pacific Ocean  :)  that's not fun.
"There is no such thing as bad whiskey. Some whiskeys just happen to be better than others" ― William Faulkner

Offline Zkpncs48

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2014, 01:26:56 AM »
Sure enough, in August, while in Singapore, I got notified that the two seats on the non-stop flight from JFK-HKG in Cathay Pacific First Class had opened, something that very rarely happens three months before departure, considering two seats account for 1/3rd of their first class cabin.
     Excellent job on your report as always.
One question:  how do you get notification when award tickets open up? Is it through the airline or a paid tool like kvs

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2014, 01:28:31 AM »
     Excellent job on your report as always.
One question:  how do you get notification when award tickets open up? Is it through the airline or a paid tool like kvs

Thanks.

In this instance I was using Wandering Aramean's Travel Tools.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2014, 01:29:19 AM »
I was just kidding.

I am about to pull off next week an 'around the world' trip in 42 hours.
Outbound is CX F over the Pacific, but I'm still looking for an inbound over the Atlantic.

I have a backup CX J ticket for the return, but pilot is taking the Pacific Ocean  :)  that's not fun.

Safe travels!

Let me know if you ever find a CX pilot flying a CX plane over the Atlantic :)
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline JoeCha

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Avis President's Club, Expedia+ Silver
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2014, 09:14:35 AM »
Safe travels!

Thanks

Let me know if you ever find a CX pilot flying a CX plane over the Atlantic :)
I'm now trying to find award availability HKG-EUR, and continue on BA LON-NYC.

But let me not hijack your thread. Thanks for the report, it is inspiring.
"There is no such thing as bad whiskey. Some whiskeys just happen to be better than others" ― William Faulkner

Offline mochada

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2014, 03:33:28 PM »
Thanks

I'm now trying to find award availability HKG-EUR, and continue on BA LON-NYC.

Well...there seem to be many options that fit the bill.

But let me not hijack your thread. Thanks for the report, it is inspiring.

N00b hijacking the board!

Offline 3yummyboys

• View Profile
Paradise Found: A "Holiday" to New Zealand in the Chariots of Kings
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2014, 10:04:54 AM »
It's already been said, but it was really helpful to see the booking process broken down. Thanks!

Offline Moishebatchy

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 23
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Arzei Makolet Platinum, Yossi's Makolet Silver, Yesh! Gold, Rav Kav Dirt
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2015, 08:29:41 PM »
I have one word to express my feelings on this, which may seem familiar to you:

Excellente. ;)

Offline bubble347

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2015, 09:19:01 PM »
Can't wait for the rest especially the pics. I need to convince my wife to bump it up on our never ending bucket list.
Watch this inspiring video.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
Hope to have the next installment this week.

Offline chff

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 25
    • View Profile
  • Programs: All of them...
Can't sleep

Offline ilherman

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
Can't sleep
So read the first part again.  :P
You can say what you think when you think what you say.

Offline Fan of Dan

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2015, 12:08:53 AM »
Nicely done AJK and great write up!!

Offline voldemort

• View Profile

Sitting on tenterhooks waiting for the week to end.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
I have a flight tomorrow on which I hope to continue drafting.

Offline voldemort

• View Profile
Awesome.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2015, 12:30:12 AM »

A Small Brook at the Foot of Fox Glacier

Intra-New Zealand Flights & Hotels

With our international airline itineraries nailed down, I began the process of booking intra-New Zealand flights and hotels. 

However, I soon came to realize that New Zealand and chain hotels is akin to Qantas and first class award availability: rarer than unicorns. Not a single Hyatt, SPG, or Marriott in the entire country. There was a single Hilton in Auckland and a single Hilton in Queenstown (more on the latter later).

So faced with the likelihood of having to stay in a dozen or so bed and breakfasts (not something Mrs. AJK would love) and the attendant research that would entail (not something I would love), I chose instead to refer back to my bucket list and cross off another item:

Rent, drive, live, eat, and sleep in a recreational vehicle (or “campervans” as the Kiwis call them).   

And so began research into the many and varied RV companies.  Ultimately, after reviewing https://www.rankers.co.nz/, essentially the tripadvisor for RV rentals, we settled on Wilderness Rentals for a couple of reasons.

One, they offered a line of RVs that looked to be the Ferraris of the campervan world, truly stunning, modern, and efficient:

Click HERE for a 360 degree internal view.

Two, the price was right. All told, considering we would no longer need to rent or pay for a car or worry about researching, booking and paying for B&Bs, I don’t believe we paid much more--if at all--than it would have cost us had we went what we was the traditional route. 

Little did I know at the time that RV’ing through NZ is a national pastime and a favorite of tourists.  The only thing you see more of than RVs are sheep. (And on my gawwwwd was there a lot of sheep. Like millions. Multi-millions. Like, everywhere.)

If you have the chance to visit and tour NZ, I cannot recommend highly enough to do so in an RV.  The convenience it afforded, the experience it provided, and the novelty it offered were too hard to pass up.

Once we settled on Wilderness, we had to begin planning our proposed route. With locations in Auckland (AKL), Chistchurch (CHC), and Queenstown (ZQN) (which is only a drop-off location in high season, which is apparently not when we went), we initially toyed with a one-way rental from AKL to down to ZQN and back up to CHC. 

As follows:

However, the more I researched, the more I realized it’d be foolish to try to do both the North Island and South Island given our time constraints.

Instead, we decided to just focus on the South Island (apparently the “better” of the two) and pick up and return the RV in CHC.

Once we confirmed the CHC RV pickup, I then turned to booking our flights AKL-CHC-AKL.  There were two options: Air New Zealand and Jetstar.  I preferred the former because they’re a Star Alliance member, and I am Star Alliance Gold, which would get me a larger baggage allowance, which mattered because these domestic tickets were to be booked separately from our international first class itineraries, which would have otherwise given us as much baggage as we needed.

When I first looked, probably a month or two before departure, flights on Air New Zealand were reasonable.  If I recall correctly, they were about $150/pp for the “Seat+Bag” tickets. 

(Oddly, and contrary to published Star Alliance rules, if a Star Alliance Gold member purchases only a cheaper “Seat” fare, he or she is not entitled to ANY luggage.  In order to get the “extra bag” provided by the Star Gold benefits, NZ requires you to purchase a “Seat+Bag” fare, which would then entitle the traveler to two bags, instead of one.  Star Alliance was less than helpful when I pointed out that NZ was deviating from the published rules.)

Anyway, after I confirmed the RV and went back a few days later to book the Air New Zealand tickets, the flights that we needed had doubled! (We needed certain flights because Wilderness had informed us that we must arrive in CHC no later than 4PM on the day of pickup, or else we’d be forced to get a hotel for the night and they’d pick us up the next morning, something I really wanted to avoid, considering our already short time frame on the ground and that Wilderness wouldn’t be refunding that portion of the RV rental.)

So I did some research into Air New Zealand flights. Like I mentioned, they have a “Seat” fare, a “Seat+Bag” fare, and a couple of others, one of which is a “Flexi-time” fare, which includes everything the Seat+Bag fare includes in addition to a number of other perks, including the most important: free changes.

Essentially, as soon as the clock strikes 12:00AM NZ time on the day of the flight, Air New Zealand will allow you to change your flight as many times as you want to ANY flight that day which has revenue availability, whether before or after your originally scheduled departure, and without upcharging for fare difference, if any. 

Armed with this knowledge, I scoured Air New Zealand’s website and ended up booking the cheapest Flexi-time fare available for the day we needed, which turned out to be the same price as our original flights would have been, saving us $300! All we needed now was a couple empty seats on our preferred flight on the day of departure, and we’d be home free.  A calculated risk, sure, but one with which I was comfortable.

Now to finally conclude our pre-trip preparation, we needed to book three hotel nights: two nights over Shabbas in Auckland on our way back home after we returned the RV, and one night in Bangkok for an overnight layover. I booked a cash+points stay at the Hilton Auckland as a backup, but shortly before we left, a deal went up on DDMS:

http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/56813

Using this, I booked a Superior room at the St Martins Waldorf Apts Hotel (no relation to Waldorf Astoria), for two nights at $50 per night instead of $135, which is highly recommended and was a 10 minute walk to the Auckland Hebrew Congregation, and was the size of a very large suite with kitchenette and washer/dryer, and I booked the Eastin Grand Hotel Sathorn, ranked 8th out of 767 hotels in Bangkok by Trip Advisor, for one night at $28 instead of $110. At those prices, it’s a no-brainer to keep the points and use cash.

With that we were all set to embark on the trip of a lifetime.

Online TimT

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2015, 01:04:05 AM »
How much fuel does that eat ?

Offline Yaalili

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 157
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2015, 02:14:39 AM »
Nice. Ur missing the hour ticker on the second map to show how long the driving distance was. That's a lot of driving.