Author Topic: Paradise Found: A "Holiday" to New Zealand in the Chariots of Kings  (Read 158335 times)

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
Re: Paradise Found: A "Holiday" to New Zealand in the Chariots of Kings
« Reply #100 on: September 03, 2015, 04:46:21 PM »
Of course R' Wilhelm didnt want your KSML. Ever taste the ones they sell to the airlines?

He knows good and well to avoid them at all costs :)
Lmao... they did improve a little over the past year though
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline Yehoshua

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 04, 2015, 07:39:53 PM »
Wow, AJK! I just spent a good hour reading the TR in its current entirety. Great stuff. NZ is definitely on our radar of places to visit, but since we're in LA routing is more limited. Either way, I can't wait for the next parts on the ground in NZ!! Really looking forward.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #102 on: September 09, 2015, 07:41:50 PM »
Wow, AJK! I just spent a good hour reading the TR in its current entirety. Great stuff. NZ is definitely on our radar of places to visit, but since we're in LA routing is more limited. Either way, I can't wait for the next parts on the ground in NZ!! Really looking forward.

For someone in LA like you, I wouldn't say routings are limited, I'd say they were easier!

Off the top of my head you have some non-stop and one-stop options:

LAX-AKL on NZ
LAX-SYD/MEL-AKL on QF/AA
LAX-PEK-AKL on CA
LAX-PVG-AKL on MU
LAX-CAN-AKL on CZ
LAX-HKG-AKL on CX

Myriad of ways for someone one the west coast to get paradise.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 09, 2015, 07:46:01 PM »
For someone in LA like you, I wouldn't say routings are limited, I'd say they were easier!

Off the top of my head you have some non-stop and one-stop options:

LAX-AKL on NZ
LAX-SYD/MEL-AKL on QF/AA
LAX-PEK-AKL on CA
LAX-PVG-AKL on MU
LAX-CAN-AKL on CZ
LAX-HKG-AKL on CX

Myriad of ways for someone one the west coast to get paradise.
Correct, on the one hand it's easier with a nonstop flight to AKL and multiple nonstop flights on SYD/MEL/BNE, and the ability to route through Asia as you  mentioned, however the east cost has these options plus the ability to route through Europe no?

Oh, and you're  just noting actual routes not routes with availability in F or J.  If you were NZ would be out as well as QF most of the time.  :D

Offline Yaalili

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 157
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 09, 2015, 07:52:54 PM »
Correct, on the one hand it's easier with a nonstop flight to AKL and multiple nonstop flights on SYD/MEL/BNE, and the ability to route through Asia as you  mentioned, however the east cost has these options plus the ability to route through Europe no?

Routing through Europe to go to NZ? AA wouldn't allow that, SQ should.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #105 on: September 09, 2015, 07:53:43 PM »
This is probably blasphemous, especially from me, but having toured the south island of NZ, if I lived in LAX, I'd seriously consider flying NZ Y nonstop to maximize my time there. There is just so. much. to. do.

It's about the same distance is flying coach from NYC to Israel, and I've done that a few times in the past couple years.

If you didn't want to fly Y to AKL, the next best option is probably Plan B LAX-SYD/MEL-AKL.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 09, 2015, 08:15:27 PM »
This is probably blasphemous, especially from me, but having toured the south island of NZ, if I lived in LAX, I'd seriously consider flying NZ Y nonstop to maximize my time there. There is just so. much. to. do.

It's about the same distance is flying coach from NYC to Israel, and I've done that a few times in the past couple years.

If you didn't want to fly Y to AKL, the next best option is probably Plan B LAX-SYD/MEL-AKL.
Wow, Y for a 13.5 hour flight could be bad. Although OTOH I did fly Y LAX-SYD a couple of years ago, and if the flight's empty it may not be that bad. But given the choice I'd chose J on VA over Y on NZ, especially once VA gets their new J.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 09, 2015, 08:22:37 PM »
Wow, Y for a 13.5 hour flight could be bad. Although OTOH I did fly Y LAX-SYD a couple of years ago, and if the flight's empty it may not be that bad. But given the choice I'd chose J on VA over Y on NZ, especially once VA gets their new J.

Yeah, I once did EWR-HKG in CO in Y and didn't get up once the whole flight. (This was probably a decade ago, wayyyy before miles, but I survived.)

VA is a great option, but until they upgrade their 777s (which I hope remains on schedule as I'm booked SYD-LAX later this year), they're 2-3-2 vs UA's 787 2-2-2.

Though there's a great hidden option on the VA 777 in J... an enclosed suite for the select few who know about it  ;)

Offline Yaalili

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 157
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 09, 2015, 08:31:45 PM »
Yeah, I once did EWR-HKG in CO in Y and didn't get up once the whole flight. (This was probably a decade ago, wayyyy before miles, but I survived.)

VA is a great option, but until they upgrade their 777s (which I hope remains on schedule as I'm booked SYD-LAX later this year), they're 2-3-2 vs UA's 787 2-2-2.

Though there's a great hidden option on the VA 777 in J... an enclosed suite for the select few who know about it  ;)

Too easy to figure that one out.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 09, 2015, 08:32:54 PM »
Too easy to figure that one out.

Sure, once you google it, it ain't hard; but knowing to google in the first place? 'nother thing altogether.

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 09, 2015, 08:35:25 PM »

Oh, I know about it alright. That's exactly where I'd sit if I went that way.  :D

Offline MosheD

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 10, 2015, 04:02:41 AM »
Just read through Tr from beginning. Amazing job AJK!
To echo previous comments, this trip report makes me want to push up the date on next AOR and just plunge into this game.
Reading the plethora of recent trip reports leaves me itching for my first legit intl trip.
Off to the DDF adventure board...

Offline Emkay

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile

Offline benjie1305

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 25, 2016, 05:08:31 PM »
Last update here was August 30th. This thread needs some serious BUMP'age!
Work hard, Play harder!

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 25, 2016, 05:09:48 PM »
Last update here was August 30th. This thread needs some serious BUMP'age!

Not sure if you've followed, but a commercial break was taken to post a different TR.

AJK and Co. hope you enjoy.

Offline benjie1305

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 25, 2016, 05:11:11 PM »
Not sure if you've followed, but a commercial break was taken to post a different TR.

AJK and Co. hope you enjoy.

We very much do enjoy but I thought that was Mrs. AJK's TR and this one is yours. Nothing written up since August 30th worth posting about? I need this for personal use :)
Work hard, Play harder!

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 25, 2016, 05:13:33 PM »
Mrs. AJK and I are one in the same.

Both fly, both post TRs, and both have jobs outside of DDF. What, priorities outside of DDF? Yeah, I know, blasphemous.

Offline benjie1305

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 25, 2016, 05:17:34 PM »
Mrs. AJK and I are one in the same.

Both fly, both post TRs, and both have jobs outside of DDF. What, priorities outside of DDF? Yeah, I know, blasphemous.

See if you'd decide to join the Board of  'DansDeals incorporated' as a Partner [unless the CEO speaks out against that] you'd be able to combine work and pleasure! :)
Work hard, Play harder!

Offline benjie1305

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 25, 2016, 09:43:06 PM »
Nowadays, would you still do SIN-AKL for the A380 even though it means another $$ flight and less time on the roads or would you do SIN-CHC direct? More time on the ground but obv a much lesser flight experience. 
Work hard, Play harder!

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 25, 2016, 09:59:02 PM »
Nowadays, would you still do SIN-AKL for the A380 even though it means another $$ flight and less time on the roads or would you do SIN-CHC direct? More time on the ground but obv a much lesser flight experience.

I would still do SQuites.  I may consider the non-stop if the SIN-CHC route was operated by a 77W, but it's operated by a 772 or 77L without F at all.

For a 3-4 hour difference (a time which one can almost guarantee with “Flexi-time” fares), I'd prefer the A380.  At this point, if it was operated by a 77W, I'd probably skip the extra leg and go non-stop.