Author Topic: Duplicate order received/ charged once  (Read 12051 times)

Offline Sandy

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
Duplicate order received/ charged once
« on: December 17, 2014, 02:46:39 PM »
Lat week, American Girl Doll Company had a special discounted price on one of their dolls.  I ordered one and received it two days ago.  Then I received the exact same one today with the same packing slip and checked my credit card statement which showed I had only been charged once.  I called the company and told them of their mistake and they arranged to the duplicate order picked up (after I declined their suggestion to drive it to a fed-ex facility at my inconvenience).  I know I did the honest think but I was kind of hoping they would offer something in return for my honesty, like a store credit or discount on a future order - which they didn't.  Should I ask for it?  I looked into the legality and legally, the duplicate was mine to keep, if not morally the right thing to do. Is it inappropriate for me to pursue some sort of credit for my inconvenience?

Offline dealfinder85

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Duplicate order received/ charged once
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2014, 02:53:34 PM »
Lat week, American Girl Doll Company had a special discounted price on one of their dolls.  I ordered one and received it two days ago.  Then I received the exact same one today with the same packing slip and checked my credit card statement which showed I had only been charged once.  I called the company and told them of their mistake and they arranged to the duplicate order picked up (after I declined their suggestion to drive it to a fed-ex facility at my inconvenience).  I know I did the honest think but I was kind of hoping they would offer something in return for my honesty, like a store credit or discount on a future order - which they didn't.  Should I ask for it?  I looked into the legality and legally, the duplicate was mine to keep, if not morally the right thing to do. Is it inappropriate for me to pursue some sort of credit for my inconvenience?
no
they made a mistake, you did the right thing and told them, and they arranged to come pick it up, not really inconveniencing you. i dont see why you deserve anything for this?

Offline Sandy

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 03:05:31 PM »
no
they made a mistake, you did the right thing and told them, and they arranged to come pick it up, not really inconveniencing you. i dont see why you deserve anything for this?
So you would have done the exact same thing?

Offline ShlockDoc

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2014, 03:07:06 PM »

"So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets."

Offline dealfinder85

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2014, 03:08:57 PM »
So you would have done the exact same thing?
i once ordered a router and got 2 in the box from best buy. i was gonna be passing a best buy so i ran in, gave it to them.
(of course they had a million questions for me but i politely told them i am doing the favor, im not about to give 20 minutes of my time)

Offline chff

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 25
    • View Profile
  • Programs: All of them...
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2014, 04:06:11 PM »
The mitzvah /+ kidush hashem is far more then the $10 credit you are hoping for...

Offline dealfinder85

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2014, 04:08:49 PM »
The mitzvah /+ kidush hashem is far more then the $10 credit you are hoping for...
its also the DDF (i dont mean to go after everyone on DDF, only those guilty ones) mentality of, someone made a mistake, im gonna make them pay.
im not referring to price mistakes, although now that i write it out it can probably be debated on the ethics thread.
but if someone ships you 2 by mistake, and you paid for 1, return 1 at no inconvenience to you, and you dont have to be compensated for it. they made a mistake, its that simple. it didnt trouble you much. at least when there is a price mistake, you can rationalize that people are gonna buy them so why not me. (i have participated in several so im not just hear to be a critic)

Offline Sandy

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2014, 04:17:59 PM »
Well, the initial disappointment has passed.  I had looked it up online and a lot of people had posted on other sites that when they alerted the companies to their mistake regarding duplicate orders, they were either comp'd the additional item or given some other compensation.  So it was a bit disappointing that they didn't acknowledge my honesty and the Kiddush Hashem aspect is hardly applicable because they would unlikely know I'm Jewish.   

Offline DP7

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2014, 04:20:59 PM »
Well, the initial disappointment has passed.  I had looked it up online and a lot of people had posted on other sites that when they alerted the companies to their mistake regarding duplicate orders, they were either comp'd the additional item or given some other compensation.  So it was a bit disappointing that they didn't acknowledge my honesty and the Kiddush Hashem aspect is hardly applicable because they would unlikely know I'm Jewish.

You should've just kept it if you were only telling them about the mistake so that you can keep it and feel less guilty about it too. If you really need a pat on the back from a CSR that badly then I think you have more to worry about than a free doll.

Offline ShlockDoc

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2014, 04:27:13 PM »

I don't want to be mean but what were you expecting?  A medal and a parade for doing the right thing?

Offline Sandy

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2014, 04:28:40 PM »
You should've just kept it if you were only telling them about the mistake so that you can keep it and feel less guilty about it too. If you really need a pat on the back from a CSR that badly then I think you have more to worry about than a free doll.
I don't want to be mean but what were you expecting?  A medal and a parade for doing the right thing?

Yes - I clearly have issues.  That's the spirit. Thanks guys.  I feel so much better now.

Offline ShlockDoc

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2014, 04:30:05 PM »
Yes - I clearly have issues.  That's the spirit. Thanks guys.  I feel so much better now.

Everyone's got issues.  I'm sorry if I was snarky.  I really was just trying to understand what you were expecting...

Offline Sandy

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2014, 04:56:01 PM »
Everyone's got issues.  I'm sorry if I was snarky.  I really was just trying to understand what you were expecting...
Thanks - appreciate that.  I was expecting people to tell me if it was incorrect or inappropriate to contact the company, explain the situation, and see if they'd offer a future discount or credit.  I was *not* looking for praise. 

Offline ShlockDoc

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2014, 05:14:50 PM »
Thanks - appreciate that.  I was expecting people to tell me if it was incorrect or inappropriate to contact the company, explain the situation, and see if they'd offer a future discount or credit.  I was *not* looking for praise.

I think it's best to just move on.

Offline AnonymousUser

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2014, 06:08:05 PM »
If it's טעות עכו"ם, then the only חיוב to return it is for the kiddush Hashem, and i highly doubt that the rep in a call center in India even knows what a Jew is.
ETA: In such a situation, it might be an איסור of לא תחנם to return it.
I once ordered a treadmill from amazon, and when it came damaged i refused the delivery and requested a replacement. They sent it, but they also refunded me since I never got the first one, and they didn't recharge me when they sent the second one. I asked my posek and was told to keep the money since the seller is not Jewish and there's no kiddush Hashem.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 06:11:54 PM by AnonymousUser »

Offline chff

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 25
    • View Profile
  • Programs: All of them...
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2014, 06:09:11 PM »
If it's טעות עכו"ם, then the only חיוב to return it is for the kiddush Hashem, and i highly doubt that the rep in a call center in India even knows what a Jew is.
The beard doesn't come thru the phone?....

Offline AnonymousUser

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2014, 06:12:39 PM »
The beard doesn't come thru the phone?....
Last time I checked, they don't have Facetime or Skype.

Offline avromie7

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2014, 06:17:18 PM »
I once ordered a treadmill from amazon, and when it came damaged i refused the delivery and requested a replacement. They sent it, but they also refunded me since I never got the first one, and they didn't recharge me when they sent the second one. I asked my posek and was told to keep the money since the seller is not Jewish and there's no kiddush Hashem.
+1 as I was reading thru the thread i was thinking of saying the same thing I'm happy to see someone knows the halachos
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline ShlockDoc

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2014, 06:39:57 PM »

Ugh. Here we go again. The only time it's required to be moral is when it affects Jews. 

Offline avromie7

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2014, 06:40:40 PM »
Ugh. Here we go again. The only time it's required to be moral is when it affects Jews.
and when it doesn't go against halacha
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.