15 (17.9%)
In General
13 (15.5%)
Good enough for convenience
12 (14.3%)
Undecided
26 (31%)

Total Members Voted: 68

Author Topic: Jet.com Master Thread  (Read 130191 times)

Offline SearchGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 103
    • View Profile
Re: Jet.com Master Thread
« Reply #440 on: July 17, 2015, 09:57:00 AM »
That was a stupid comment. I was talking about NYC where many places have Google Express, not Lakewood.  Did I say don't shop at Jet? Ever?

Someone mentioned in this thread how there was a need for Jet on the internet and just like Amazon filled  avoid Jet is now filling a void. I am pointing out that IMNSHO 2 hour delivery to homes is the real future of at home shopping. Why every comment in this thread has to be ST*U Jet is amazing is beyond me. I wasn't even talking about whether we should shop at Jet now or not.

I don't know if you realized but my comment was more pro your stance than Dan's. I explained how Dan saying Costco is better is largely due to being from CLE and the convenience of suburban life.

This whole thread as I said many times is a couple people saying Jet is the next Amazon or Costco and a couple people saying they have to prove themselves and have what to fix/change. And then people in between.
Where exactly out of Manhattan do you have GE??? i don't think there's a single DDFer that lives in Manhattan nor does drive in a car daily to Manhattan

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #441 on: July 17, 2015, 10:05:13 AM »
Where exactly out of Manhattan do you have GE??? i don't think there's a single DDFer that lives in Manhattan nor does drive in a car daily to Manhattan

1. I am not just talking about DDF'ers. I was talking about the future of shopping in general.
2. I know people here that live in Manhattan.
3. You can get things delivered while at work.
4. You're the one that called it a dumb comment and then brought up Lakewood when I was talking about NY.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline an613

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: July 17, 2015, 10:14:52 AM »

i don't think there's a single DDFer that lives in Manhattan

Offline SearchGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #443 on: July 17, 2015, 10:16:41 AM »

1. I am not just talking about DDF'ers. I was talking about the future of shopping in general.
2. I know people here that live in Manhattan.
3. You can get things delivered while at work.
4. You're the one that called it a dumb comment and then brought up Lakewood when I was talking about NY.
1. Future of shopping is Jet, whether you want or not.
2. How many??? ::) ::) ::)
3. I said almost people don't go with a car, that's a fact!
4. Sorry but Williamsburg, Boro Park, Flatbush, Crown Hights doesn't have it also, you bet dumb!

Offline yuneeq

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: July 17, 2015, 10:22:15 AM »
That was a stupid comment. I was talking about NYC where many places have Google Express, not Lakewood.  Did I say don't shop at Jet? Ever?

Someone mentioned in this thread how there was a need for Jet on the internet and just like Amazon filled  avoid Jet is now filling a void. I am pointing out that IMNSHO 2 hour delivery to homes is the real future of at home shopping. Why every comment in this thread has to be ST*U Jet is amazing is beyond me. I wasn't even talking about whether we should shop at Jet now or not.

I don't know if you realized but my comment was more pro your stance than Dan's. I explained how Dan saying Costco is better is largely due to being from CLE and the convenience of suburban life.

This whole thread as I said many times is a couple people saying Jet is the next Amazon or Costco and a couple people saying they have to prove themselves and have what to fix/change. And then people in between.

I'll admit my response wasn't exactly pointed at you but rather at some of the participators in this discussion.

Half the thread is people ripping on Jet because the lower rated Kirkland detergent is cheaper than tide on Jet.
Basically pointless criticism that should be called out.
The other half is people defending it, which includes me.
99% of the time, if you try to defend a company it makes you look bad, but I honestly don't care.

I've said multiple times that Jet isn't perfect yet, but they have most of the technology down pat, and they're already pretty darn good at what they're meant for.
People are saying that Jet will be the next Amazon, so some think that means that everything great about Amazon will be on Jet. Or that Jet will take down Amazon.
Which is 100% wrong.
Really it's about becoming another big player in ecommerce, while innovating in a similar fashion to how Amazon and Alibaba did.

I still shop at Amazon, but for me, Jet added a whole new layer to what's possible with online shopping.
This hopefully will get Amazon to fix their prime pantry service as it does not/cannot compete.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 10:28:23 AM by yuneeq »
Visibly Jewish

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #445 on: July 17, 2015, 10:28:15 AM »
1. Future of shopping is Jet, whether you want or not.
2. How many??? ::) ::) ::)
3. I said almost people don't go with a car, that's a fact!
4. Sorry but Williamsburg, Boro Park, Flatbush, Crown Hights doesn't have it also, you bet dumb!
1. You want to wait days instead of hours for your groceries? Or you like playing with a cart and figuring out if you buy 3 bars of soap, 5 lolly pops, and 27 toe nail clippers you will get maximum savings on your raisin bran.
2. More than
I don't think there's a single DDFer that lives in Manhattan

3. Did that have a point?
4. No need to be sorry. That has no connection to my original comment.

Offline SearchGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #446 on: July 17, 2015, 10:33:06 AM »
1. You want to wait days instead of hours for your groceries? Or you like playing with a cart and figuring out if you buy 3 bars of soap, 5 lolly pops, and 27 toe nail clippers you will get maximum savings on your raisin bran.
2. More than 
3. Did that have a point?
4. No need to be sorry. That has no connection to my original comment.
JJ you should really be smarter than this, taking a fraction of a percent of readers that have some kind of service, defending an entire ideology of so called shopping smart... and you're talking about a company that didn't even promise a future yet

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: July 17, 2015, 10:35:34 AM »
I'll admit my response wasn't exactly pointed at you but rather at some of the participators in this discussion.

Thanks.

Free pantry delivery will be an interesting way of Amazon competing. We shall see in 5 years if Jet is all it is hyped to be.

The future is clearly going toward drone and self driving car delivery, do you think Jet's business model is built to survive that? It seems like they are taking a shipping problem and fixing it a decade too late. In 20 years will Jet still be relevant when everything is being delivered in 2 hours?

Sure they may be good for a decade if they live up to the hype etc. But I am talking about a very near future of a much much more convenient way to shop.

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: July 17, 2015, 10:36:16 AM »
JJ you should really be smarter than this, taking a fraction of a percent of readers that have some kind of service, defending an entire ideology of so called shopping smart... and you're talking about a company that didn't even promise a future yet
You aren't even reading what I am talking about. Just read my posts for a minute.

Offline SearchGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #449 on: July 17, 2015, 10:38:03 AM »
Thanks.

Free pantry delivery will be an interesting way of Amazon competing. We shall see in 5 years if Jet is all it is hyped to be.

The future is clearly going toward drone and self driving car delivery, do you think Jet's business model is built to survive that? It seems like they are taking a shipping problem and fixing it a decade too late. In 20 years will Jet still be relevant when everything is being delivered in 2 hours?

Sure they may be good for a decade if they live up to the hype etc. But I am talking about a very near future of a much much more convenient way to shop.
Jet never promised that and that's not even their goal

Offline grodnoking

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #450 on: July 17, 2015, 10:40:24 AM »
Jet and Fresh Direct should combine! That would be a prime business model.
I'm not who you think I am.

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: July 17, 2015, 10:40:39 AM »
Jet never promised that and that's not even their goal
Whatever you didn't reply to my other points and you aren't reading what I am posting.

Just read what you want and keep thinking I said everyone should use google express in Lakewood instead of Jet.

Offline SearchGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #452 on: July 17, 2015, 10:43:17 AM »
Thanks.

Whatever you didn't reply to my other points and you aren't reading what I am posting.

Just read what you want and keep thinking I said everyone should use google express in Lakewood instead of Jet.
You are talking like you are giving advice to Jet on how to handle their business, Amazon thinks that this is the way they'll convince shoppers to buy, and Jet thinks that their way is better, now what?

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #453 on: July 17, 2015, 10:45:56 AM »
Thanks.

I don't believe drone delivery will happen in the next 50 years. Even if the technology is ready (it isn't), there are so many worries from lawmakers and the general public that they will likely never let it happen.
Self-driving car delivery will in my slightly educated opinion take at least 15-20 years until it hits the streets.
Still, how does a car without a driver deliver a package? A robot gets out of the car and hand delivers? The trunk opens and launches rocket propelled boxes?

Re: Amazon Prime pantry, I am perplexed why they don't already offer free delivery. It seems to me that either:
A) They haven't found a way to make it profitable without the fees.
B) They're not interested in forgoing profits for membership costs (which Jet does), as they already don't make money on the membership.
Visibly Jewish

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: July 17, 2015, 10:47:01 AM »
You are talking like you are giving advice to Jet on how to handle their business, Amazon thinks that this is the way they'll convince shoppers to buy, and Jet thinks that their way is better, now what?
I'm not giving anybody advice. I'm saying what I think the future of at home grocery shopping will look like. And asked Yuneeq who I think has a good understanding of Jet's business model how he thinks they will do with that.

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: July 17, 2015, 10:56:51 AM »
I don't believe drone delivery will happen in the next 50 years. Even if the technology is ready (it isn't), there are so many worries from lawmakers and the general public that they will likely never let it happen.
Self-driving car delivery will in my slightly educated opinion take at least 15-20 years until it hits the streets.
Still, how does a car without a driver deliver a package? A robot gets out of the car and hand delivers? The trunk opens and launches rocket propelled boxes?

Re: Amazon Prime pantry, I am perplexed why they don't already offer free delivery. It seems to me that either:
A) They haven't found a way to make it profitable without the fees.
B) They're not interested in forgoing profits for membership costs (which Jet does), as they already don't make money on the membership.

I hear that. I don't know the future of Drones. As for self driving cars people would have to be there for delivery I suppose. Or a robotic arm can place the box next to a mail box, I guess that really depends on the home type.

Everything in the world is moving towards faster sooner, everything, of course delivery is included in that. Is Jet going to be ready for that. I would pay a few dollars more to have my groceries today instead of in a few days.

Prime Now needs to be added to the regular Amazon checkout. The app is annoying.

Offline SearchGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #456 on: July 17, 2015, 11:05:06 AM »
Just talking about costumer "service", I know an old company that there's probably not a single day that there's not a MS deal from them,  their name is eBay...
I don't think I need to add anything...

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #457 on: July 17, 2015, 11:12:17 AM »
I hear that. I don't know the future of Drones. As for self driving cars people would have to be there for delivery I suppose. Or a robotic arm can place the box next to a mail box, I guess that really depends on the home type.

Everything in the world is moving towards faster sooner, everything, of course delivery is included in that. Is Jet going to be ready for that. I would pay a few dollars more to have my groceries today instead of in a few days.

Prime Now needs to be added to the regular Amazon checkout. The app is annoying.

For me most packages come next day with Jet (though I would estimate 15-20% of items take 4-5 days, depending where they come from).
If a self driving car needs a human to deliver, it's practically the same thing as using UPS. Don't see how online delivery will benefit from that technology.

I think same-dame delivery will always be expensive.
I read an article recently that Amazon highly targeted their same day delivery programs by hand picking zip codes that are highly profitable (people that buy overpriced items).
That's on top of the extra delivery fee.
This makes me think it will take a while for free same day delivery to be rolled out.

Re: Jet- They don't have to rest on their laurels.
They can continue to innovate just like everyone else.
Visibly Jewish

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: July 17, 2015, 01:32:18 PM »
So with Jet you can save a nickel here and a dime there. What about big ticket items where the real savings is. How do they compare on those items.

Is anyone foolish enough to believe they sell at cost and make their money on the membership?
I just found a new supply of forks!

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #459 on: July 17, 2015, 01:56:13 PM »
So with Jet you can save a nickel here and a dime there. What about big ticket items where the real savings is. How do they compare on those items.

Is anyone foolish enough to believe they sell at cost and make their money on the membership?

Forgive me for responding to the troll.
But last week I ordered a laptop that costs $499, added $54 worth of groceries and my total was $480 + tax.
Visibly Jewish