15 (17.9%)
In General
13 (15.5%)
Good enough for convenience
12 (14.3%)
Undecided
26 (31%)

Total Members Voted: 68

Author Topic: Jet.com Master Thread  (Read 130226 times)

Offline Yitziz2010

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Jet.com Master Thread
« Reply #800 on: October 15, 2015, 02:01:04 PM »
As jj and others have said. They raised unprecedented amounts of money pre launch selling investors (and customers) on their business model which they are abandoning after several months. I'm not saying it cant be that they're doing great but how can you not see why people are skeptical ?

+1

Offline avremie

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: October 15, 2015, 02:11:36 PM »
Anyone selling credits?

Offline yuneeq

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: October 15, 2015, 02:14:48 PM »
As jj and others have said. They raised unprecedented amounts of money pre launch selling investors (and costomers) on their business model which they are abandoning after several months. I'm not saying it cant be that they're doing great but how can you not see why people are skeptical ?

Their business model was transparency and better pricing and 100% still is.
I can see why an investor might be skeptical ( though I'm sure they know the numbers that we are not privy to) but I don't understand why a customer would be with nothing to lose.
Visibly Jewish

Offline Yitziz2010

• View Profile
« Reply #803 on: October 15, 2015, 02:18:17 PM »
Their business model was transparency and better pricing and 100% still is.
I can see why an investor might be skeptical ( though I'm sure they know the numbers that we are not privy to) but I don't understand why a customer would be with nothing to lose.

tru, as a customer , no1 here is skeptical in the sense that they arent gana shop there or that there is any real issue, just skeptical about their claims, and if theyll actually last to try and compete with amazon and others..

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #804 on: October 15, 2015, 02:27:22 PM »
tru, as a customer , no1 here is skeptical in the sense that they arent gana shop there or that there is any real issue, just skeptical about their claims, and if theyll actually last to try and compete with amazon and others..

Their prices still beat amazons (in recent studies after the pricing change), and their pivot to free membership is 100x more competitive to Amazon than charging for membership, which required customers to forsake their loyalty to Amazon in the hope of better prices.

In fact they weren't cannibalizing sales or customers from Amazon so this change will probably start to do so.
Visibly Jewish

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #805 on: October 15, 2015, 08:40:40 PM »
I still can't figure out why you take any skepticism of them so personally
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #806 on: October 15, 2015, 09:09:37 PM »
I still can't figure out why you take any skepticism of them so personally

Where do you see me taking it personally?
Would you rather read stupid conspiracies by uninformed posters?

The only people taking this personally are the critics that seem so worried about the investors..I couldn't give a darn about them.
Visibly Jewish

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #807 on: October 15, 2015, 09:51:28 PM »
Where do you see me taking it personally?
Would you rather read stupid conspiracies by uninformed posters?

The only people taking this personally are the critics that seem so worried about the investors..I couldn't give a darn about them.
Read through the thread and see how you contentiously argue with anyone who has any question about their outstanding success. This is in JS separate from the deal thread. Over there people would discuss whether or not they feel that deals will be filled. Over here people are schmoozing about the company. Of course people will have questions when a company within weeks of their launch changes a major aspect of their business plan without even trying it out. It will bring into question how well their entire business model is working. It may be a sign of failure of that aspect or may be a sign of amazing success of other aspects which they are trying to build up. Considering the issues they had with pricing at the offset it is hard to imagine that sales have been so amazingly profitable that they will revamp the whole business to focus on that. Therefore people have reasonable speculative questions. If you can't understand that it says more about you than about them.

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #808 on: October 15, 2015, 09:59:06 PM »
That's not how these type of investments work.
to some extent that is true. It is an illiquid investment and they are often not able to just pull their money out. On the other hand investors would most definitely be looking at how many trial members convert to paying members. A low number would not look very good. On the other hand it does not look good for them to give up a potentially large steady income stream which was a major part of their business model without having even tried it out.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #809 on: October 15, 2015, 10:03:09 PM »
give up a potentially large steady income stream which was a major part of their business model without having even tried it out.
IIRC it was their whole business model, they said all profits would be the membership fee.
CMIIW
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #810 on: October 15, 2015, 10:06:42 PM »
Read through the thread and see how you contentiously argue with anyone who has any question about their outstanding success. This is in JS separate from the deal thread. Over there people would discuss whether or not they feel that deals will be filled. Over here people are schmoozing about the company. Of course people will have questions when a company within weeks of their launch changes a major aspect of their business plan without even trying it out. It will bring into question how well their entire business model is working. It may be a sign of failure of that aspect or may be a sign of amazing success of other aspects which they are trying to build up. Considering the issues they had with pricing at the offset it is hard to imagine that sales have been so amazingly profitable that they will revamp the whole business to focus on that. Therefore people have reasonable speculative questions. If you can't understand that it says more about you than about them.

Huh...Every post of mine has been based on data and not just pure emotional speculation.
People keep repeating the same stupid things again and again and disregarding 3rd party datapoints with no basis for their arguments.

I believe Jet is not a success story yet and has a big chance of failure.
Though to make up reasons why they will fail or why they changed their business model (some strange conspiracy) that doesn't fit the data and repeatedly ignoring the data doesn't seem very smart to me.
Visibly Jewish

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #811 on: October 15, 2015, 10:08:44 PM »
IIRC it was their whole business model, they said all profits would be the membership fee.
CMIIW

They cut the discounts from 10-15% to 4-5% and will likely start offering a new premium/free shipping no minumum option for a fee.
Basically they're trying to be like any other ecommerce site but a drop cheaper.
Visibly Jewish

Offline Yitziz2010

• View Profile
« Reply #812 on: October 15, 2015, 10:41:01 PM »

Huh...Every post of mine has been based on data and not just pure emotional speculation.
People keep repeating the same stupid things again and again and disregarding 3rd party datapoints with no basis for their arguments.

Though to make up reasons why they will fail or why they changed their business model (some strange conspiracy) that doesn't fit the data and repeatedly ignoring the data doesn't seem very smart to me.

Data from a heavily connected entity does not qualify as objective 3rd party data

Offline Yitziz2010

• View Profile
« Reply #813 on: October 15, 2015, 10:42:02 PM »

They cut the discounts from 10-15% to 4-5% and will likely start offering a new premium/free shipping no minumum option for a fee.
Basically they're trying to be like any other ecommerce site but a drop cheaper.

If they are changing gears to be like other commerce sites... What makes them think they can do it for any cheaper than the other sites can do it...

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #814 on: October 15, 2015, 10:48:51 PM »
Data from a heavily connected entity does not qualify as objective 3rd party data

They are connected because Jet makes their sellers money.
So if Jet was failing they wouldn't be promoting it, as their own customers are paying them, not Jet.

If they are changing gears to be like other commerce sites... What makes them think they can do it for any cheaper than the other sites can do it...

The main thing they have going for them is smart cart- Smart cart brings real efficiency into the system.
You also have minor things like debit card savings of 1.25% and additional small savings by waiving returns.
These savings that are passed on to the consumer come from weeding out inefficiencies, and don't cost Jet anything.

Jets customers need to understand how to use the smart cart if they are to be successful.
Jets early customers understand how to use the smart cart, so far, better than expected.
It won't necessarily continue though especially after the price increases and a wider customer base that isn't as savvy as their initial target market (millennials).
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 10:52:51 PM by yuneeq »
Visibly Jewish

Offline Yitziz2010

• View Profile
« Reply #815 on: October 15, 2015, 10:55:45 PM »

They are connected because Jet makes their sellers money.
So if Jet was failing they wouldn't be promoting it, as their own customers are paying them, not Jet.

The main thing they have going for them is smart cart- Smart cart brings real efficiency into the system.
You also have minor things like debit card savings of 1.25% and additional small savings by waiving returns.
These savings that are passed on to the consumer come from weeding out inefficiencies, and don't cost Jet anything.

Jets customers need to understand how to use the smart cart if they are to be successful.
Jets early customers understand how to use the smart cart, so far, better than expected.
It won't necessarily continue though especially after the price increases and a wider customer base that isn't as savvy as their initial target market (millennials).

Don't think I met anyone that likes the smart cart savings system...
As my bil put it... "I shouldn't need a calculator while I'm shopping to figure out my best deal"

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #816 on: October 15, 2015, 11:14:29 PM »
Don't think I met anyone that likes the smart cart savings system...
As my bil put it... "I shouldn't need a calculator while I'm shopping to figure out my best deal"

So compare the prices, they are basically automatically price matching other sites, and that's before cart savings kick in.
Would you rather not have the savings?

I personally love calculating things in the supermarket so obviously I don't mind calculating online either.
But that's just me and I can understand that others don't enjoy it.

Visibly Jewish

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #817 on: October 15, 2015, 11:34:28 PM »

I think you need to look back and see how contentious you have been with anyone who voices any skepticism.

Now let's get this straight. You really cannot understand why someone would have questions when they totally overturn their business model after a few weeks?

Costco makes a killing off membership besides a profit on what they sell. If that was their business model then I can see that it may work. If they give up this potentially lucrative income stream without even trying it one must question why. Simply that they are making great profit off sales themselves is not an answer since they can do both. It must be that they feel that their customer base does not consider their savings to be enough to justify paying membership and do not see that changing. They could have given everyone a free year if they felt it just needs more time to convince everyone. Yet they did not do so.

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #818 on: October 15, 2015, 11:37:11 PM »
I think you need to look back and see how contentious you have been with anyone who voices any skepticism.

Now let's get this straight. You really cannot understand why someone would have questions when they totally overturn their business model after a few weeks?

Costco makes a killing off membership besides a profit on what they sell. If that was their business model then I can see that it may work. If they give up this potentially lucrative income stream without even trying it one must question why. Simply that they are making great profit off sales themselves is not an answer since they can do both. It must be that they feel that their customer base does not consider their savings to be enough to justify paying membership and do not see that changing. They could have given everyone a free year if they felt it just needs more time to convince everyone. Yet they did not do so.

They can be skeptics but its just dumb to say that everyone is lying about the data.
The data doesn't mean everything is rosy either. But let's not be stupid.

ETA: They can do both membership and make money on sales, but not by charging a membership fee to be on the site.
The only way they could be succesful is by either making solely on membership or from sales and then selling extra add-on membership features like free shipping with no minimum and expedited shipping.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 11:42:05 PM by yuneeq »
Visibly Jewish

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #819 on: October 15, 2015, 11:38:37 PM »
They can be skeptics but its just dumb to say that everyone is lying about the data.
The data doesn't mean everything is rosy either. But let's not be stupid.
data which misinterpreted may have been