Topic Wiki

There are no Credit Cards that will cover Liability.
Visa, Amex, MasterCard and Discover will cover Loss Damage Waiver / Collision (CDW/LDW)

Cards that cover CDW/LDW in Israel:
Chase: Sapphire Preferred ($95 annual fee)
American Express Gold $195AF
Discover (accepted in Israel as Diners' Club): More, Open Road, Miles, Motiva (none have annual fees)   Policy link

You must present at the time of rental a copy of your policy or a document from the CC company stating that the insurance coverage applies to Israel . You will still have to purchase 3rd Party Liability, but you will save some shekels and have no deductible for damages.

Visa phone number : 800-VISA-911

Visa does NOT cover:
  • Cadillac Escalade
  • Mercedes GL series (they do cover GLK)
  • Mercedes E class
  • Corvettes
  • Camaro ZL1

AMEX premium will charge $24.95 per rental and they cover:
  • Up to $100K for damage or theft and accidental death or dismemberment coverage ($250,000 for California residents), up to $15,000 for excess medical expenses per person, and up to $5,000 for excess personal property coverage ($15,000 for Florida residents)
  • Any car from Mercedes, pickup trucks, Porsche and 15 passenger vans.
  • There's no need to pay for the full amount with money, even if it's with points or coupon rental and you pay just $2 fees they will still cover you.

Those that do NOT have a credit card insurance, here is an alternative:  https://worldwideinsure.org.

Author Topic: Credit Card Car Rental Insurance  (Read 309093 times)

Offline Yammer

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Credit Card Car Rental Insurance
« Reply #840 on: January 23, 2017, 01:07:27 AM »
CC does not become your primary for liability
CSR does

Offline Yarhead

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: January 23, 2017, 04:44:22 PM »
CSR does

Ryan, thanks! If I use the CSR to rent at, say, Budget or Alamo at TLV, does that mean I don't need to buy their Liability Insurance? I read that they usually force folks with CC waivers of CDW/TP to pay for LI.

Offline Yammer

• View Profile
« Reply #842 on: January 23, 2017, 04:53:03 PM »
Ryan, thanks! If I use the CSR to rent at, say, Budget or Alamo at TLV, does that mean I don't need to buy their Liability Insurance? I read that they usually force folks with CC waivers of CDW/TP to pay for LI.
No. Credit cards don't cover liability.

Offline Danlover111

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: January 23, 2017, 06:58:22 PM »
why don't you take a look in the wiki

Offline Yammer

• View Profile
« Reply #844 on: January 23, 2017, 07:45:27 PM »
why don't you take a look in the wiki
And it's on the first line...

Offline yitzyul

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: February 02, 2017, 03:53:12 PM »
Does CSR cover other "premium" rentals not mentioned in the WIKI, such as Mercedes C class, BMW 3 or Audi?

Offline m.m.

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: February 13, 2017, 07:40:20 AM »
cost aside, what insurance is better/easy to deal with, amex Premium, or chase primary?
thanks

Offline m.m.

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: February 13, 2017, 11:06:16 AM »
cost aside, what insurance is better/easy to deal with, amex Premium, or chase primary?
thanks
chase from the ritz card

Offline 3yummyboys

• View Profile
« Reply #848 on: February 20, 2017, 05:09:46 PM »
Rented in LA and we scratched a car while parking.  We have a police report. When I picked up the car (hertz gold) they said we can change the CC when we return the car. Right now they have my Amex plat. What's the best way to proceed? Can I change to Sapphire Preferred? How do I make a claim?

Offline mmgfarb

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: February 20, 2017, 05:15:43 PM »
Rented in LA and we scratched a car while parking.  We have a police report. When I picked up the car (hertz gold) they said we can change the CC when we return the car. Right now they have my Amex plat. What's the best way to proceed? Can I change to Sapphire Preferred? How do I make a claim?
Yes, just tell them you need to change the CC when you go to return the car. Call chase to file a claim.
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Offline 3yummyboys

• View Profile
« Reply #850 on: February 21, 2017, 10:40:05 AM »
Yes, just tell them you need to change the CC when you go to return the car. Call chase to file a claim.

Thanks. This won't go through my primary insurance at all, correct?

Offline Yammer

• View Profile
« Reply #851 on: February 21, 2017, 11:28:11 AM »
With CSP, correct

Offline mmgfarb

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: February 21, 2017, 12:06:44 PM »
Assuming you declined LDW.
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Offline 3yummyboys

• View Profile
« Reply #853 on: February 24, 2017, 11:00:39 AM »
CSP does not cover damage to the other car. Should I file with hertz? Is there something about no liability coverage in CA?
Advice would be appreciated! The car we scratched was a porshe and I don't want to have to pay for it!

Offline Yammer

• View Profile
« Reply #854 on: February 24, 2017, 12:03:03 PM »
CSP does not cover damage to the other car. Should I file with hertz? Is there something about no liability coverage in CA?
Advice would be appreciated! The car we scratched was a porshe and I don't want to have to pay for it!
If renting in California:

Hertz provides no liability protection under the terms of the Rental Agreement to the renter from claims of injury by others against you resulting from an accident. Your personal/business insurance may cover your liability. Exceptions: Hertz will provide primary liability protection up to the statutory minimum limits to international customers (driver's license indicates an address outside the USA) renting in California. Please also refer to Liability Insurance Supplement (LIS) below

I don't understand how this is possible. If someone has no insurance, how can they drive a vehicle in CA?

Offline Amusch

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #855 on: February 27, 2017, 07:40:10 PM »
Question:

I rented a car two weeks ago in South Fla from Alamo. I got the rental at night and didn't think to examine the car. Later in the week, I noticed some orange paint on the car (I believe it's called highway paint) with was possibly my doing. When I returned the car, they said nothing. Now I got a letter in the mail that they want me to pay. If necessary, I did pay for the rental on the Reserve; however, I believe that if they took it back without a word, they can't come crying back two weeks later. Maybe they ruined it after it left my hands. I'm really not sure whether or not I am responsible for the paint but I believe I shouldn't have to pay at this point anyway. Any thoughts or experiences?

Thanks.

Offline shulem92

• View Profile
« Reply #856 on: February 27, 2017, 07:43:13 PM »
Question:

I rented a car two weeks ago in South Fla from Alamo. I got the rental at night and didn't think to examine the car. Later in the week, I noticed some orange paint on the car (I believe it's called highway paint) with was possibly my doing. When I returned the car, they said nothing. Now I got a letter in the mail that they want me to pay. If necessary, I did pay for the rental on the Reserve; however, I believe that if they took it back without a word, they can't come crying back two weeks later. Maybe they ruined it after it left my hands. I'm really not sure whether or not I am responsible for the paint but I believe I shouldn't have to pay at this point anyway. Any thoughts or experiences?

Thanks.
CMIIW, but I think its your responsibility to make sure that they sign off that there was no damage done

Offline Amusch

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: February 27, 2017, 07:53:00 PM »
CMIIW, but I think its your responsibility to make sure that they sign off that there was no damage done

I don't get it. It was my fault for not having them sign off when the car left the station but isn't it their fault for not signing off on damage when the car went into the station? I'm only finding out about this by snail mail I received today from Alamo.

Offline shulem92

• View Profile
« Reply #858 on: February 27, 2017, 08:05:17 PM »
I don't get it. It was my fault for not having them sign off when the car left the station but isn't it their fault for not signing off on damage when the car went into the station? I'm only finding out about this by snail mail I received today from Alamo.
I'm only saying that from experience in places where they are makpid on every scratch, you have to make sure that they sign off that there was no damage done. For example in Israel. It could be that you have a valid point to argue with them, I just believe that the responsibility is on you to prove it

Offline Yammer

• View Profile
« Reply #859 on: February 28, 2017, 04:44:42 AM »
I'm only saying that from experience in places where they are makpid on every scratch, you have to make sure that they sign off that there was no damage done. For example in Israel. It could be that you have a valid point to argue with them, I just believe that the responsibility is on you to prove it
I actually don't see how they can charge you once they closed the rental agreement.