Topic Wiki

There are no Credit Cards that will cover Liability.
Visa, Amex, MasterCard and Discover will cover Loss Damage Waiver / Collision (CDW/LDW)

Cards that cover CDW/LDW in Israel:
Chase: Sapphire Preferred ($95 annual fee)
American Express Gold $195AF
Discover (accepted in Israel as Diners' Club): More, Open Road, Miles, Motiva (none have annual fees)   Policy link

You must present at the time of rental a copy of your policy or a document from the CC company stating that the insurance coverage applies to Israel . You will still have to purchase 3rd Party Liability, but you will save some shekels and have no deductible for damages.

Visa phone number : 800-VISA-911

Visa does NOT cover:
  • Cadillac Escalade
  • Mercedes GL series (they do cover GLK)
  • Mercedes E class
  • Corvettes
  • Camaro ZL1

AMEX premium will charge $24.95 per rental and they cover:
  • Up to $100K for damage or theft and accidental death or dismemberment coverage ($250,000 for California residents), up to $15,000 for excess medical expenses per person, and up to $5,000 for excess personal property coverage ($15,000 for Florida residents)
  • Any car from Mercedes, pickup trucks, Porsche and 15 passenger vans.
  • There's no need to pay for the full amount with money, even if it's with points or coupon rental and you pay just $2 fees they will still cover you.

Those that do NOT have a credit card insurance, here is an alternative:  https://worldwideinsure.org.

Author Topic: Credit Card Car Rental Insurance  (Read 308948 times)

Offline David Smith

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
Re: Credit Card Car Rental Insurance
« Reply #860 on: February 28, 2017, 05:53:22 AM »
Yes, just tell them you need to change the CC when you go to return the car. Call chase to file a claim.
Chase may refuse to cover if you didn't use the Chase card at time of rental.
Who do you think you are fooling? You think you are going to pull a quick one on your Creator? Good luck with that.
JTZ

Offline Amusch

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: February 28, 2017, 10:20:24 AM »
Chase may refuse to cover if you didn't use the Chase card at time of rental.

I did use it at time of rental.

I actually don't see how they can charge you once they closed the rental agreement.

That's what I was thinking. Once they close it and charge the card, for all I know, they drove it into a wall and are charging me....

Offline Yammer

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: February 28, 2017, 10:42:45 AM »

That's what I was thinking. Once they close it and charge the card, for all I know, they drove it into a wall and are charging me....
Did you call them?

Offline shulem92

• View Profile
« Reply #863 on: February 28, 2017, 11:07:16 AM »

Did they actually close it out? Or it was at night, so they just scanned it into the lot?

Offline Amusch

• View Profile
« Reply #864 on: February 28, 2017, 01:24:45 PM »
Did they actually close it out? Or it was at night, so they just scanned it into the lot?

I haven't had a chance to call them because I just got the letter last night (and today, apparently they have the same lunch break that I do). As far as I know it was closed out. It was not night time and it seemed the guy turned the keys to check the gas and stuff.

Offline Abet rich

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz PC, National EE
« Reply #865 on: March 02, 2017, 11:04:15 AM »
I'm only saying that from experience in places where they are makpid on every scratch, you have to make sure that they sign off that there was no damage done. For example in Israel. It could be that you have a valid point to argue with them, I just believe that the responsibility is on you to prove it
Please don't compare American rentals to Israeli. It is very different to say the least .....
Contact me at abereich19@gmail.com for all help and info.

Offline Amusch

• View Profile
« Reply #866 on: March 08, 2017, 10:55:24 AM »
Question:

I rented a car two weeks ago in South Fla from Alamo. I got the rental at night and didn't think to examine the car. Later in the week, I noticed some orange paint on the car (I believe it's called highway paint) with was possibly my doing. When I returned the car, they said nothing. Now I got a letter in the mail that they want me to pay. If necessary, I did pay for the rental on the Reserve; however, I believe that if they took it back without a word, they can't come crying back two weeks later. Maybe they ruined it after it left my hands. I'm really not sure whether or not I am responsible for the paint but I believe I shouldn't have to pay at this point anyway. Any thoughts or experiences?

Thanks.

ENDING: I called, got transferred around, spoke to nice rep who explained that the damage was reported 3 hours after return, and it's really on me to check the car on the way in AND on the way out, call right away if I noticed anything, etc. And as a reward for listening to her "shpiel" she will waive it "this one time."  :)

Offline shulem92

• View Profile
« Reply #867 on: March 09, 2017, 11:11:44 AM »
is there any way to file with chase if the initial hold wasn't on the card? does chase freedom or ink cover primary or secondary when abroad?

Offline Yehuda25

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: March 14, 2017, 12:31:03 PM »
Please don't compare American rentals to Israeli. It is very different to say the least .....
correct. Day and night difference
“To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.”

― Aristotle

Offline aarondeutsch95

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: March 15, 2017, 03:31:40 PM »
Is it true rental companies (hertz specifically) covers liability to the state minimum?

Offline m.m.

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #870 on: March 21, 2017, 04:51:23 PM »
i rented for a week from hertz, upgrade from Camry to Prius v since im pres. circle, their washer was down, so it was dirty, when i returned it they cleaned it, and said i scratched it, didn't hit/scratch anything.
i prepared with amex which has premium insurance, but on my profile i have a Ritz, which the remainder was charged too.
who do i file with?
and what do i need?

Offline m.m.

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: March 24, 2017, 01:05:37 PM »
i rented for a week from hertz, upgrade from Camry to Prius v since im pres. circle, their washer was down, so it was dirty, when i returned it they cleaned it, and said i scratched it, didn't hit/scratch anything.
i prepared with amex which has premium insurance, but on my profile i have a Ritz, which the remainder was charged too.
who do i file with?
and what do i need?
bump

Offline Mutty

• View Profile
  • Programs: AA Lifetime Gold; PC Platinum; AccurHotels Platinum; National Executive; Marriot Silver Elite; Hilton Gold; SPG Gold; Hertz #1 Club Gold 5 Star; SixT Platinum; Avis First
« Reply #872 on: March 28, 2017, 11:01:12 AM »
So I got the sapphire reserve and used it for a rental while my car was being repaired. Enterprise claimed there was damage to the car which was there before. Couldn't win. So I called the Sapphire folks (who told me originally they cover it all) and got the forms to fill out. I called this morning asking why they need my insurance info if they cover it. The guy tells me they're only secondary. I said what's the point if I'll get messed up and maybe my insurance will go up. They also told me that it is covered. This guy says it's not true. In NY State they have to be secondary. Just wanted you all to know.
“You see things; you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not?”

Offline Yammer

• View Profile
« Reply #873 on: March 28, 2017, 11:18:40 AM »
So I got the sapphire reserve and used it for a rental while my car was being repaired. Enterprise claimed there was damage to the car which was there before. Couldn't win. So I called the Sapphire folks (who told me originally they cover it all) and got the forms to fill out. I called this morning asking why they need my insurance info if they cover it. The guy tells me they're only secondary. I said what's the point if I'll get messed up and maybe my insurance will go up. They also told me that it is covered. This guy says it's not true. In NY State they have to be secondary. Just wanted you all to know.
Found this.

http://saverocity.com/travel/will-the-chase-sapphire-preferred-really-cover-your-car-rental/

Can anyone verify if it's true?

Offline Mutty

• View Profile
  • Programs: AA Lifetime Gold; PC Platinum; AccurHotels Platinum; National Executive; Marriot Silver Elite; Hilton Gold; SPG Gold; Hertz #1 Club Gold 5 Star; SixT Platinum; Avis First
« Reply #874 on: March 28, 2017, 12:35:36 PM »
Found this.

http://saverocity.com/travel/will-the-chase-sapphire-preferred-really-cover-your-car-rental/

Can anyone verify if it's true?
So it sounds like it's true. This coverage thing is a fake. It's nice to have if you never use it! How about the AMEX card that has a $25 fee that supposedly covers you. Would that be fake too?
“You see things; you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not?”

Offline Bullmacher1

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, National EE, Southwest CP, Jet Blue Mosaic
« Reply #875 on: March 30, 2017, 12:57:15 PM »
Is this only a NY state issue or are others excluded from primary as well?

Offline Mutty

• View Profile
« Reply #876 on: March 30, 2017, 12:59:46 PM »
Is this only a NY state issue or are others excluded from primary as well?
The guy from the credit card told me New York State. Whatever that means. Really upsetting because they originally told me "no problem". That's when you have to start worrying.

Offline Avrum

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: April 09, 2017, 10:42:51 PM »
I rented a minivan in Israel using Chase sapphire preferred.

I crashed and caused major damage to the car.

I paid in full out of pocket and started a claim.

I sent in all the documents to Chase, they say they have all the documents they need, claim has been pending for over four month, when I call them they say it is now by the underwriters review and I should get an answer soon. It had been by the underwriters for the past month and a half with no end in sight. There is no way to contact the underwriters.

Any ideas? Experiences? Should I get a lawyer? BBB?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Offline m.m.

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: May 01, 2017, 06:51:47 PM »
would chase reserve insurance cover a rental which 95% was paid with a voucher?

Offline Avrum

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: May 16, 2017, 11:28:12 PM »
I rented a minivan in Israel using Chase sapphire preferred.

I crashed and caused major damage to the car.

I paid in full out of pocket and started a claim.

I sent in all the documents to Chase, they say they have all the documents they need, claim has been pending for over four month, when I call them they say it is now by the underwriters review and I should get an answer soon. It had been by the underwriters for the past month and a half with no end in sight. There is no way to contact the underwriters.

Any ideas? Experiences? Should I get a lawyer? BBB?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

update

got paid in full b"h last week without doing anything