Topic Wiki

There are no Credit Cards that will cover Liability.
Visa, Amex, MasterCard and Discover will cover Loss Damage Waiver / Collision (CDW/LDW)

Cards that cover CDW/LDW in Israel:
Chase: Sapphire Preferred ($95 annual fee)
American Express Gold $195AF
Discover (accepted in Israel as Diners' Club): More, Open Road, Miles, Motiva (none have annual fees)   Policy link

You must present at the time of rental a copy of your policy or a document from the CC company stating that the insurance coverage applies to Israel . You will still have to purchase 3rd Party Liability, but you will save some shekels and have no deductible for damages.

Visa phone number : 800-VISA-911

Visa does NOT cover:
  • Cadillac Escalade
  • Mercedes GL series (they do cover GLK)
  • Mercedes E class
  • Corvettes
  • Camaro ZL1

AMEX premium will charge $24.95 per rental and they cover:
  • Up to $100K for damage or theft and accidental death or dismemberment coverage ($250,000 for California residents), up to $15,000 for excess medical expenses per person, and up to $5,000 for excess personal property coverage ($15,000 for Florida residents)
  • Any car from Mercedes, pickup trucks, Porsche and 15 passenger vans.
  • There's no need to pay for the full amount with money, even if it's with points or coupon rental and you pay just $2 fees they will still cover you.

Those that do NOT have a credit card insurance, here is an alternative:  https://worldwideinsure.org.

Author Topic: Credit Card Car Rental Insurance  (Read 308950 times)

Offline Platinum

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Credit Card Car Rental Insurance
« Reply #900 on: July 21, 2017, 02:18:17 AM »
Rented a car with ink had a suit case stolen from card. It looks like ink doesn't cover personal property. Can I pay with my Amex to get Amex premium coverage or does the car need to have been rented with the amex?

Offline JACKBLUE

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: July 21, 2017, 01:24:00 PM »
So credit cards don't cover liability only CDW. Now when I rent a car and I decline all insurance does the rental companies have liability on their cars?

Offline JACKBLUE

• View Profile
« Reply #902 on: July 23, 2017, 02:38:18 PM »
So credit cards don't cover liability only CDW. Now when I rent a car and I decline all insurance does the rental companies have liability on their cars?
bump

Offline Yammer

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: July 23, 2017, 02:59:30 PM »
bump
The rental company is required to have the min State liability coverage built-in to put the car on the rd. I've heard that some states don't need, to me it makes no sense but YMMW.

Offline JACKBLUE

• View Profile
« Reply #904 on: July 23, 2017, 04:01:50 PM »
The rental company is required to have the min State liability coverage built-in to put the car on the rd. I've heard that some states don't need, to me it makes no sense but YMMW.
thanks! That what I heard just wanted to confirm?

Offline schneury

• View Profile
« Reply #905 on: July 23, 2017, 10:45:00 PM »
If you decline liability, could the rental company charge a very high deductible?

Offline Yammer

• View Profile
« Reply #906 on: July 23, 2017, 10:58:34 PM »
If you decline liability, could the rental company charge a very high deductible?
They are responsible for liability I don't see how they can charge you. I've had 1 incident in Pennsylvania with Avis and paid nothing.

Offline schneury

• View Profile
« Reply #907 on: July 24, 2017, 08:32:10 AM »
They are responsible for liability I don't see how they can charge you. I've had 1 incident in Pennsylvania with Avis and paid nothing.
with personal car insurance there is a deductible, most people take $500-$1000. What's stopping the rental company from passing on that deductible, whatever amount they choose to the renter?

Offline David Smith

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: July 24, 2017, 08:34:52 AM »
with personal car insurance there is a deductible, most people take $500-$1000. What's stopping the rental company from passing on that deductible, whatever amount they choose to the renter?
There is no deductible on liability, even with personal auto coverage. You're getting confused with comprehensive.
Who do you think you are fooling? You think you are going to pull a quick one on your Creator? Good luck with that.
JTZ

Offline Yeah

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz PC, National EE
« Reply #909 on: July 31, 2017, 03:38:47 PM »
Does anyone know where I could buy my own car insurance for a short term rental? (4 days) I searched all over the place the only thing I found to buy was cdw\ldw but that the cc already covers (BOA) but couldnt find to buy liability, anyone has experience with such a thing?
Thanks

Offline modechai

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: August 15, 2017, 02:43:28 PM »
From the wiki.  There's no need to pay for the full amount with money, even if it's with points or coupon rental and you pay just $2 fees they will still cover you. Is this only for amex premium insurance or regular too?

Offline mekler

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #911 on: August 22, 2017, 03:06:35 PM »
I rented a zipvan cargo to shlep out my packages. Made accident with a deer. Zipcar has a $1000 deductible. MasterCard denies to cover it, since it's a cargo van.

Any idea what I can do? Do I really must pay it, or they will just forget it? (They have very much on their head to remember...

In addition, zipcar closed my account permanently. This is really not fair, since it was absolutely not my fault

????

Offline mekler

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: September 12, 2017, 12:14:31 AM »
Any suggestion if I can fight the $1000 deductible on the basis that some charges or incorrect. (Like they charged for towing $500, with the pickup location 50 miles from the actual location)

Offline Yammer

• View Profile
« Reply #913 on: September 12, 2017, 01:20:48 AM »
Any suggestion if I can fight the $1000 deductible on the basis that some charges or incorrect. (Like they charged for towing $500, with the pickup location 50 miles from the actual location)
The car rental charged you for towing?

Offline mekler

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: September 12, 2017, 10:04:41 AM »
The car rental charged you for towing?
Avis - who appears to handle the repairs for zipcar - sent a bill of $8000, including towing,  to sedgwick - a claims management company - who forwarded it to me with the $1000 charge, with the rest covered by zip car's insurance.

The charges seems very inflated, I think that if I would do it on my own it would cost me only $1,000. But for me it doesn't make a difference.

Offline Yammer

• View Profile
« Reply #915 on: September 12, 2017, 11:36:23 AM »
Avis - who appears to handle the repairs for zipcar - sent a bill of $8000, including towing,  to sedgwick - a claims management company - who forwarded it to me with the $1000 charge, with the rest covered by zip car's insurance.

The charges seems very inflated, I think that if I would do it on my own it would cost me only $1,000. But for me it doesn't make a difference.
Was never charged anything. Of course I got the bill but It was always covered, I don't remember by whom

Offline mekler

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: September 12, 2017, 03:22:32 PM »
Was never charged anything. Of course I got the bill but It was always covered, I don't remember by whom
Maybe you purchased extra coverage, or maybe your credit card. My Mastercard denied to pay because it's a cargo van

Offline Yammer

• View Profile
« Reply #917 on: September 12, 2017, 04:47:49 PM »
Maybe you purchased extra coverage, or maybe your credit card. My Mastercard denied to pay because it's a cargo van
I never purchased any additional coverage. It's been a while back so I don't remember what cc i used

Offline bookwrm

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: September 28, 2017, 12:00:42 AM »
Will amex auto coverage cover my rental if only the taxes are charged to my cc (used the spg).

The story in a nutshell: have a rental that my insurance is paying for while my car is being fixed. last night a motorcyclist hit my card and sped off. I felt the collision but didn't notice anything else (it was dark). checked my car this morning and noticed that the passenger side mirror cover is gone.

Any advice would be awesome, car is being returned Friday (in theory).

Offline m.m.

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: September 29, 2017, 09:30:15 AM »
Will amex auto coverage cover my rental if only the taxes are charged to my cc (used the spg).

The story in a nutshell: have a rental that my insurance is paying for while my car is being fixed. last night a motorcyclist hit my card and sped off. I felt the collision but didn't notice anything else (it was dark). checked my car this morning and noticed that the passenger side mirror cover is gone.

Any advice would be awesome, car is being returned Friday (in theory).
i don't think that really makes a difference, as long as part is charged you should be fine, but call amex and ask