Topic Wiki

There are no Credit Cards that will cover Liability.
Visa, Amex, MasterCard and Discover will cover Loss Damage Waiver / Collision (CDW/LDW)

Cards that cover CDW/LDW in Israel:
Chase: Sapphire Preferred ($95 annual fee)
American Express Gold $195AF
Discover (accepted in Israel as Diners' Club): More, Open Road, Miles, Motiva (none have annual fees)   Policy link

You must present at the time of rental a copy of your policy or a document from the CC company stating that the insurance coverage applies to Israel . You will still have to purchase 3rd Party Liability, but you will save some shekels and have no deductible for damages.

Visa phone number : 800-VISA-911

Visa does NOT cover:
  • Cadillac Escalade
  • Mercedes GL series (they do cover GLK)
  • Mercedes E class
  • Corvettes
  • Camaro ZL1

AMEX premium will charge $24.95 per rental and they cover:
  • Up to $100K for damage or theft and accidental death or dismemberment coverage ($250,000 for California residents), up to $15,000 for excess medical expenses per person, and up to $5,000 for excess personal property coverage ($15,000 for Florida residents)
  • Any car from Mercedes, pickup trucks, Porsche and 15 passenger vans.
  • There's no need to pay for the full amount with money, even if it's with points or coupon rental and you pay just $2 fees they will still cover you.

Those that do NOT have a credit card insurance, here is an alternative:  https://worldwideinsure.org.

Author Topic: Credit Card Car Rental Insurance  (Read 308964 times)

Offline Saver2000

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Credit Card Car Rental Insurance
« Reply #80 on: March 13, 2012, 01:03:38 AM »
correct, as far as driving you are allowed to drive even if you are not on the contract
but as far as insurance if you are relaying on the CC it depends if [
 the CC covers 2nd drivers not listed on the contract
and it dosent have to do if the rental company lets.

Now that's a big if . I highly doubt the cc would cover a driver not on the contract.  (Unless its a spouse or something )

Offline SGF

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz President Circle
« Reply #81 on: March 13, 2012, 01:55:42 AM »
Now that's a big if . I highly doubt the cc would cover a driver not on the contract.  (Unless its a spouse or something )
+1
but 'lybbtthl' claims that on his CC it does allow, i guess that CC is a expetion.

Offline lybbtthl

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Barely anything these days...
« Reply #82 on: March 13, 2012, 02:26:53 AM »
correct, as far as driving you are allowed to drive even if you are not on the contract
but as far as insurance if you are relaying on the CC it depends if the CC covers 2nd drivers not listed on the contract and it dosent have to do if the rental company lets.
According to my email conversation from Hertz you aren't even allowed to drive if you're not on the contract.
Whenever a CC CDW allows other drivers it never says they have to be listed, all it says is they need to be authorized by the rental agency, for example, a spouse need not be registered but CC CDW will still cover

Offline Saver2000

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 13, 2012, 02:52:51 AM »
According to my email conversation from Hertz you aren't even allowed to drive if you're not on the contract.
Whenever a CC CDW allows other drivers it never says they have to be listed, all it says is they need to be authorized by the rental agency, for example, a spouse need not be registered but CC CDW will still cover

Bad example.  Spouses' fall into a different category.  Almost (if not all) rental agencies allow a spouse to drive without actually having to be on the contract . They are automatically including.

Offline lybbtthl

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 13, 2012, 02:57:32 AM »
Bad example.  Spouses' fall into a different category.  Almost (if not all) rental agencies allow a spouse to drive without actually having to be on the contract . They are automatically including.
On the contrary, that is the prime example. The CC CDW covers anyone the contract permits whether listed by name or not.

Here is a quote from Hertz:
Authorized Operators

Acceptable Authorized Operators age 25 and older are automatically covered on the Rental Agreement.
Authorized Operators are:
- The employer, employee or fellow employee of renter on company business, (when booking includes company Corporate Discount Number).
- The renter's spouse for rentals that originate in California or or Iowa.
- Authorized Operators do not have to be present at time of rental.
- There are no fees for Authorized Operators.

Additional Authorized Operators
- Individuals not automatically covered on the Rental Agreement as Authorized Operators noted above may be signed on as an "Additional Authorized Operator" (AAO).  AAO's must be present and may be signed on to the rental agreement at the time of rental or during the rental at any US corporate location.
- Renter and each AAO must be present to sign Rental Agreement, present an acceptable credit card or debit card (if renting city accepts debit cards) in their own name, or a current round-trip ticket (air, train or bus), show valid driver's license, and must be a minimum of 21 years of age.  For those 21 through 24 the location's age differential will apply.
Regardless if you are an "AO" or "AAO" the CC CDW will cover you
FTR USAA members are considered AAOs and have to be signed on

Offline Saver2000

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 13, 2012, 03:08:14 AM »

Here is a quote from Hertz:Regardless if you are an "AO" or "AAO" the CC CDW will cover you
FTR USAA members are considered AAOs and have to be signed on

First of all what's FTR?

Second of all, what do you mean when you say 'AAO'?
A) Acceptable authorized operators
B) Additional authorized operator

Thirdly,  don't your two lines in the last post contradict each other?   ???

Offline Saver2000

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 13, 2012, 03:14:31 AM »
Here is a quote from Hertz

Weren't we discussing from the cc point of view? Didn't we start out by saying that not necessarily does the hertz rules pertain to the cc company?
If so, how does your quote from hertz help prove anything??

Offline lybbtthl

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 13, 2012, 03:19:56 AM »
Weren't we discussing from the cc point of view? Didn't we start out by saying that not necessarily does the hertz rules pertain to the cc company?
If so, how does your quote from hertz help prove anything??
We were discussing whether or not you need to be signed on the contract. As far as the CC, you need to be allowed by Hertz (or whichever rental company)

Offline A3

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Credit Card Car Rental Insurance
« Reply #88 on: March 30, 2012, 10:45:13 AM »
What's the best way to get primary cdw on an Avis rental using AA Miles? I will
Be paying the taxes and fees with a CC

Offline MnM1130

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 30, 2012, 03:38:18 AM »
my dad is renting a car in italy.. he has a cc from capital one. Called them to ask them what insurance covers and they said damage done to the rental car- not to other cars. it covers CDW. What other insurance will i have to take out in order to be covered in case of accident or the such. Its a rental from hertz for a week quoting 300$ including theft protection. Anyone know about italy coverage? I will call hertz but i feel ill get a better answer from pple with experience... He also has an amex plat if that makes it better to rent with (and pay for insurance from them?)... just kinda lost here...

Offline lybbtthl

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 30, 2012, 04:36:20 AM »
my dad is renting a car in italy.. he has a cc from capital one. Called them to ask them what insurance covers and they said damage done to the rental car- not to other cars. it covers CDW. What other insurance will i have to take out in order to be covered in case of accident or the such. Its a rental from hertz for a week quoting 300$ including theft protection. Anyone know about italy coverage? I will call hertz but i feel ill get a better answer from pple with experience... He also has an amex plat if that makes it better to rent with (and pay for insurance from them?)... just kinda lost here...
MasterCard and Visa will cover CDW in Italy, AMEX CDW will not. Liability is already provided without charge. Theft protection, although covered by most credit cards, is compulsory in Italy regardless, and (just like you mentioned above) it will automatically be added to all reservations.

Offline MnM1130

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 30, 2012, 04:50:29 AM »
MasterCard and Visa will cover CDW in Italy, AMEX CDW will not. Liability is already provided without charge. Theft protection, although covered by most credit cards, is compulsory in Italy regardless, and (just like you mentioned above) it will automatically be added to all reservations.
so were not lookin at any crazy charges when the reservation says 300$? and what about insurance on other cars.. how does that work?

Offline gozalim

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 30, 2012, 03:47:30 PM »
so were not lookin at any crazy charges when the reservation says 300$? and what about insurance on other cars.. how does that work?
that is what we call in english Liabilty insurance
Liability is already provided without charge.

Offline gt

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 11, 2012, 08:27:17 PM »
i dont no if this was asked already

no that there is no continental card which card should i use for a rental

Amex green
united
sapphire perfered
freedom
citi premier
citi aa visa

Offline gozalim

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 11, 2012, 09:16:25 PM »
i dont no if this was asked already

no that there is no continental card which card should i use for a rental

Amex green
united
sapphire perfered
freedom
citi premier
citi aa visa
if by united you mean united explorer-than that would be the equivalent of the old continental (primary CDW) otherwise probably use Amex Green or chase SP

Offline gt

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 11, 2012, 11:43:08 PM »
if by united you mean united explorer-than that would be the equivalent of the old continental (primary CDW) otherwise probably use Amex Green or chase SP
are you sure that the united has primary i dont see where it says that and when i had my continental i had a small fender bender and i called mc and the rep made it sound like there is no primary also the new card is visa

Offline gozalim

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 12, 2012, 06:14:23 PM »
are you sure that the united has primary i dont see where it says that and when i had my continental i had a small fender bender and i called mc and the rep made it sound like there is no primary also the new card is visa
Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver
Your MileagePlus Explorer Card provides you with primary coverage for physical damage and theft of most rented vehicles. Coverage is afforded for rentals of up to 15 consecutive days when traveling in your country of residence and 31 days outside of your country of residence.

Offline artee

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist
« Reply #97 on: July 17, 2012, 10:00:37 PM »
I don't have any auto insurance and I'm renting a car for 30 days, Which of my cc will give me the best all around coverage?
amex spg
sapphire preferred  visa
sapphire reg wmc
united mp explorer visa
citi aa wmc

Offline meshugener

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Freedom 10X10 Exclusives, Avis Presidents Club, National Executive, Hertz 5 Star, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
« Reply #98 on: August 13, 2012, 02:45:04 PM »
Just to clarify: if I don't have a car on my name, so I don't have any primary insurance, is there any preference to use my UA MPE card(which has primary CDW) for car rental or I can use any other card which gets me secondary CDW?
Love me or hate me. I still love you.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #99 on: August 13, 2012, 02:58:02 PM »
Just to clarify: if I don't have a car on my name, so I don't have any primary insurance, is there any preference to use my UA MPE card(which has primary CDW) for car rental or I can use any other card which gets me secondary CDW?
No diff.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.