Topic Wiki

There are no Credit Cards that will cover Liability.
Visa, Amex, MasterCard and Discover will cover Loss Damage Waiver / Collision (CDW/LDW)

Cards that cover CDW/LDW in Israel:
Chase: Sapphire Preferred ($95 annual fee)
American Express Gold $195AF
Discover (accepted in Israel as Diners' Club): More, Open Road, Miles, Motiva (none have annual fees)   Policy link

You must present at the time of rental a copy of your policy or a document from the CC company stating that the insurance coverage applies to Israel . You will still have to purchase 3rd Party Liability, but you will save some shekels and have no deductible for damages.

Visa phone number : 800-VISA-911

Visa does NOT cover:
  • Cadillac Escalade
  • Mercedes GL series (they do cover GLK)
  • Mercedes E class
  • Corvettes
  • Camaro ZL1

AMEX premium will charge $24.95 per rental and they cover:
  • Up to $100K for damage or theft and accidental death or dismemberment coverage ($250,000 for California residents), up to $15,000 for excess medical expenses per person, and up to $5,000 for excess personal property coverage ($15,000 for Florida residents)
  • Any car from Mercedes, pickup trucks, Porsche and 15 passenger vans.
  • There's no need to pay for the full amount with money, even if it's with points or coupon rental and you pay just $2 fees they will still cover you.

Those that do NOT have a credit card insurance, here is an alternative:  https://worldwideinsure.org.

Author Topic: Credit Card Car Rental Insurance  (Read 309061 times)

Offline Yammer

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Credit Card Car Rental Insurance
« Reply #1180 on: January 24, 2020, 03:21:34 AM »
I know someone who had a similar situation and hertz paid out and did not got after him for the money.
I've had such a situation with Avis. They never came after me B"H
It depends in which state the rental was originating, if its NY, then they can't come after you. Others I dont know
My rental originated in NY, although the claim was in PA.
If someone uses my CC to rent a car, will they still be covered? or do I have to be the driver?
No

Offline nucheiner

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: February 12, 2020, 02:25:55 PM »
If there is an active CDW claim on my Chase Sapphire Reserve can I downgrade the card to CSP which also has similar coverage or would that be like closing the card and forfeiting the benefit?

Offline arid

• View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: February 26, 2020, 05:53:15 PM »
i got rear ended in israel in the summer. finally got all the documentation needed and claim finally went through. Amex is refusing to pay for "Diminishment of Value" which budget put down at over $3,000.
has anyone experienced this? if yes, got any advice on either fighting budget on this or getting amex to pay for it?

I returned a National rental with damage. I got a bill in the mail and I paid right away.

I then proceeded to open a claim with citi (the cc i used), but they wouldn't pay one specific charge: diminishment of value.

So I asked National to waive that particular charge, but they said because I paid already and the case was closed, they can't reopen it and refund me. Otherwise they would've waived it.

Most credit cards don't cover diminished value so before paying make sure to negotiate.

Offline pointer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: February 26, 2020, 06:41:14 PM »
i got rear ended in israel in the summer. finally got all the documentation needed and claim finally went through. Amex is refusing to pay for "Diminishment of Value" which budget put down at over $3,000.
has anyone experienced this? if yes, got any advice on either fighting budget on this or getting amex to pay for it?
Wow! Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

So one is not really fully covered with CDW through credit card?!
This is important information, surprised I never knew that.

Offline arid

• View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: February 26, 2020, 06:56:21 PM »
ummm, yeah. if this is something car rental agencies are gonna tack on, then coverage is really only partially covered.

paging some of the pros for insight?

Offline arid

• View Profile
« Reply #1185 on: February 26, 2020, 06:57:49 PM »
this was the response:

DEMAND                                              PAID              UNPAID                   

Damages                                             $8,085.21        $8,085.21        $0.00   

Administration Fees                            $98.83             $0.00               $98.83                 

Appraisal Fee                                      $141.19           $0.00               $141.19

Diminishment of Value                       $2,958.44        $0.00               $2,958.44

TOTAL                                               $11,283.67     $8,085.21*      $3,198.46 

*Payment to Card Member's Account; the payment will be applied to your American Express card account within 5 - 7 business days.

Exchange Rate: 0.282383522

Administration fees are only reimbursable when accompanied by proof of payment and are only reimbursable for expenses considered outside the normal course of doing business.

Diminishment of value fees are not eligible for coverage.

The Appraisal fee listed above requires additional documentation from the rental car company. An invoice substantiating the fee can be forwarded to our office for further review.

As for the additional charges listed, additional documentation is required and has been requested from the rental car company.  If there is additional information available that will fully support any of the unpaid amounts listed above, please forward the documentation to our office for further review.

We have advised the American Express billing department that the Rental Company has not substantiated charges applied to the Card Member's account.  These damages and/or fees were not properly documented or the Card Member's account was improperly billed.

Offline ygift

• View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: February 26, 2020, 08:25:19 PM »
I just git billed by budget for "damadges" as a result of filling up with diesel . They want over 600 $ even though I didn't drive the car so really all that was needed was suctioning out. In addition I had a 1/2 tank gas b4 filling do if they were honest they wouldn't over charge. I'm submitting a claim and I'm going to dispute the charges till I get reimbursed.
They also charged 90 dollars for gas. I filled up several times while there and s full tank is about 60 not 90

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: February 26, 2020, 10:30:45 PM »
I just git billed by budget for "damadges" as a result of filling up with diesel . They want over 600 $ even though I didn't drive the car so really all that was needed was suctioning out. In addition I had a 1/2 tank gas b4 filling do if they were honest they wouldn't over charge. I'm submitting a claim and I'm going to dispute the charges till I get reimbursed.
They also charged 90 dollars for gas. I filled up several times while there and s full tank is about 60 not 90
Who knows what happened to the car before they figured out what was going on?

The contract normally states a price they will charge to refill tank, and it is usually more than 150% market price. You seem lucky in this regard.

Whether you're right or wrong, a dispute will likely end up in being on a Do Not Rent list and the bill going to collections.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline Yammer

• View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: February 27, 2020, 12:26:29 AM »
Wow! Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

So one is not really fully covered with CDW through credit card?!
This is important information, surprised I never knew that.
this was the response:

Damages                                             $8,085.21        $8,085.21        $0.00   

Administration Fees                            $98.83             $0.00               $98.83                 

Appraisal Fee                                      $141.19           $0.00               $141.19

Diminishment of Value                       $2,958.44        $0.00               $2,958.44

TOTAL                                               $11,283.67     $8,085.21*      $3,198.46 

*Payment to Card Member's Account; the payment will be applied to your American Express card account within 5 - 7 business days.

Administration fees are only reimbursable when accompanied by proof of payment and are only reimbursable for expenses considered outside the normal course of doing business.

The Appraisal fee listed above requires additional documentation from the rental car company. An invoice substantiating the fee can be forwarded to our office for further review.

As for the additional charges listed, additional documentation is required and has been requested from the rental car company.  If there is additional information available that will fully support any of the unpaid amounts listed above, please forward the documentation to our office for further review.

We have advised the American Express billing department that the Rental Company has not substantiated charges applied to the Card Member's account.  These damages and/or fees were not properly documented or the Card Member's account was improperly billed.
This is a real game changer.

Has anyone ever had a "diminishment of value" anywhere else?

Offline Moishebatchy

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Arzei Makolet Platinum, Yossi's Makolet Silver, Yesh! Gold, Rav Kav Dirt
« Reply #1189 on: March 04, 2020, 08:43:11 AM »
I got raped by Budget in Israel with this “depreciation” scam not once, but TWICE. I’m out several thousand bucks as a result. 😡😡😡

I hope they swallow ground glass by accident, suffer miserably, and then burn in hell for eternity. (Yes, even if they’re Jewish.)

Offline ltttc

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: March 04, 2020, 11:01:26 AM »
I got raped by Budget in Israel with this “depreciation” scam not once, but TWICE. I’m out several thousand bucks as a result. 😡😡😡

I hope they swallow ground glass by accident, suffer miserably, and then burn in hell for eternity. (Yes, even if they’re Jewish.)
I just wish wish they had a National branch in Israel!!

Offline hocker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: March 04, 2020, 12:29:15 PM »

I think your agent recovered the majority of it, CMIIW.

Offline Yammer

• View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: March 04, 2020, 01:11:40 PM »

Has anyone had this experience with other companies except for Budget?

Offline greatdeals

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: March 11, 2020, 09:31:59 PM »
rented a car with my spg/marriott bonvoy card
broke  the passenger side mirror I have amex premium car rental protection
I have to give the car back tomorrow how do I go about it?

Offline greatdeals

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: March 16, 2020, 08:15:07 AM »
nobody knows?

Offline Joeymc

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: March 16, 2020, 09:19:16 PM »

Last year I returned a rental from Hertz in Miami, I called AMEX before I returned it and they opened a claim number which I gave Hertz on the accident report. Ended up AMEX paid damages and loss of use but wouldn't pay administrative fees and wouldn't pay diminishment of value. Hertz called me up asking for money and after AMEX told me they don't cover that I had to pay out of pocket. Be aware that credit card insurance may still leave you out of pocket.
120 characters? Hmm, I wonder what I could write with 64 characters. Boy, it's gonna be hard to use up 15 characters. W-

Offline arid

• View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: April 01, 2020, 09:06:58 AM »
tell us how you really feel....

Offline arid

• View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: April 01, 2020, 09:14:21 AM »
*UPDATE*
after A LOT of back and forth with amex, turns out they had all the documentation they needed to file the damages CDW claim. they pushed it off 100xs saying they needed more. I was emailing and calling budget asking for more info and then would realize that i had the info i needed. also, we realized that amex needed to get someone to translate some of the paperwork.
they finally paid the 8k in damages.
the other 3k, was in dispute for almost 3 months. i think the ppl from the CDW department ended up helping my dispute for the 3k, saying that this 3k "diminishment" charge was BS and they eventually sided with me, taking the charge off.

so after getting into the accident in July, they eventually paid and covered everything about mid Feb.

loooooong crazy saga, but the moral of the story is, you needa be in it for the long haul, spend a lot of time, and pray. i got a decent, somewhat reasonable claims adjuster from amex. this would not have worked out well if i got someone that was more of a stickler or lazy.

this was the response:

Offline pointer

• View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: April 01, 2020, 10:29:52 AM »
*UPDATE*
after A LOT of back and forth with amex, turns out they had all the documentation they needed to file the damages CDW claim. they pushed it off 100xs saying they needed more. I was emailing and calling budget asking for more info and then would realize that i had the info i needed. also, we realized that amex needed to get someone to translate some of the paperwork.
the other 3k, was in dispute for almost 3 months. i think the ppl from the CDW department ended up helping my dispute for the 3k, saying that this 3k "diminishment" charge was BS and they eventually sided with me, taking the charge off.

so after getting into the accident in July, they eventually paid and covered everything about mid Feb.

loooooong crazy saga, but the moral of the story is, you needa be in it for the long haul, spend a lot of time, and pray. i got a decent, somewhat reasonable claims adjuster from amex. this would not have worked out well if i got someone that was more of a stickler or lazy.
Wow, glad it worked out you.
People must be made aware of this.

Online New Yorker

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: April 01, 2020, 01:40:35 PM »
*UPDATE*

People don't realize that you can and should negotiate these charges with the rental companies. They overcharge in the first place expecting you to negotiate (a lot of people pay out of pocket and will consult a local mechanic what's a fair repair price). Say that your insurance company won't cover diminished value charges if they can please waive it.