Topic Wiki

There are no Credit Cards that will cover Liability.
Visa, Amex, MasterCard and Discover will cover Loss Damage Waiver / Collision (CDW/LDW)

Cards that cover CDW/LDW in Israel:
Chase: Sapphire Preferred ($95 annual fee)
American Express Gold $195AF
Discover (accepted in Israel as Diners' Club): More, Open Road, Miles, Motiva (none have annual fees)   Policy link

You must present at the time of rental a copy of your policy or a document from the CC company stating that the insurance coverage applies to Israel . You will still have to purchase 3rd Party Liability, but you will save some shekels and have no deductible for damages.

Visa phone number : 800-VISA-911

Visa does NOT cover:
  • Cadillac Escalade
  • Mercedes GL series (they do cover GLK)
  • Mercedes E class
  • Corvettes
  • Camaro ZL1

AMEX premium will charge $24.95 per rental and they cover:
  • Up to $100K for damage or theft and accidental death or dismemberment coverage ($250,000 for California residents), up to $15,000 for excess medical expenses per person, and up to $5,000 for excess personal property coverage ($15,000 for Florida residents)
  • Any car from Mercedes, pickup trucks, Porsche and 15 passenger vans.
  • There's no need to pay for the full amount with money, even if it's with points or coupon rental and you pay just $2 fees they will still cover you.

Those that do NOT have a credit card insurance, here is an alternative:  https://worldwideinsure.org.

Author Topic: Credit Card Car Rental Insurance  (Read 308958 times)

Offline Joe4007

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
Re: Credit Card Car Rental Insurance
« Reply #360 on: August 11, 2014, 02:12:54 PM »
renting a car in israel with sapphire preferred wiki says that You must present at the time of rental a copy of your policy or a document from the CC company stating that the insurance coverage applies to Israel . You will still have to purchase 3rd Party Liability, but you will save some shekels and have no deductible for damages.
where can i get that policy ?
do i really need it ?
how much is 3rd party liability ?
SM Chase and ask for a letter stating that your CC provides car rental insurance in Israel as well. IME they didn't ask for it and I assume that by now they know that Chase cards cover Israel as well, but I guess you can't really lose by bringing along a letter just in case.

Offline Novo

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Chase A/A, Amex F/R, Citi A/A. Hertz DNR.
Re: Rental insurance
« Reply #361 on: August 12, 2014, 01:04:05 AM »
Not sure if it works, but I heard of a solution by rotating CC's.
They're still able to check with the rental company, the only solution I was thinking of is rotating CCs and rental company, let say July from National with a Chase CC and Aug. from Avis with an Amex CC.
I try my best :-\
Quote from: Centro
If you wanna go fast, go alone
If you wanna go far, go together

Offline zlt123

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: August 12, 2014, 10:16:58 AM »
On the avis T&C is says: "In New York if LDW is not accepted the renter is only responsible for the first $100 worth of damage to the Avis car". i.e. is naver pays to pay for CDW/LDW in NY even if you dont have CC insurance?! in worst case its only $100

Offline sruly101

• View Profile
« Reply #363 on: August 12, 2014, 10:33:04 AM »
I dont get it how people rent expensive cars and cover CDW from the CC (or they dont :o)?

Just spoke to MC and VISA, MC says only a car that isn't over $50,000, Visa says not expensive cars, so I asked them whats in this category? so he says I should tell him a model/make and he will tell me, So I asked him about a Mercedes E 250 or BMW 5 series (These grade I wanna rent in Europe) So he says its not covered, its under the expensive category :o :o

How do we do it?   

Offline sruly101

• View Profile
« Reply #364 on: August 12, 2014, 10:38:36 AM »
use Amex. I believe they cover cars with a MSRP up to $100,000. CMIIW
1. I dont have Amex
2. $100k is only with the $24.99 plan, and not all cards

Offline D93

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: August 12, 2014, 10:39:49 AM »
1. I dont have Amex
2. $100k is only with the $24.99 plan, and not all cards
I just checked Amex website and was mistaken. Says only up to $50,000. Hence I removed my post

Offline sruly101

• View Profile
« Reply #366 on: August 12, 2014, 10:43:51 AM »
So what do people do with cars over $50,000?? almost all luxury and premium class cars are over this limit

Offline Dr Moose

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: August 12, 2014, 11:18:42 AM »
So what do people do with cars over $50,000?? almost all luxury and premium class cars are over this limit
most are under $50k
Hey there! I am using DansDeals Forums.

Offline sruly101

• View Profile
« Reply #368 on: August 12, 2014, 11:27:27 AM »
most are under $50k
:o :o I wouldn't say so

Offline Abet rich

• View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz PC, National EE
« Reply #369 on: August 12, 2014, 12:32:21 PM »
I dont get it how people rent expensive cars and cover CDW from the CC (or they dont :o)?

Just spoke to MC and VISA, MC says only a car that isn't over $50,000, Visa says not expensive cars, so I asked them whats in this category? so he says I should tell him a model/make and he will tell me, So I asked him about a Mercedes E 250 or BMW 5 series (These grade I wanna rent in Europe) So he says its not covered, its under the expensive category :o :o

How do we do it?
I have also been told by Visa in the past that they only cover cars up to 50k
Contact me at abereich19@gmail.com for all help and info.

Offline TAVI

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: August 12, 2014, 01:35:38 PM »
So, I rent quite a bit from National, and never had a problem before, but ran into a major issue on the last rental, with a pretty unique situation. Was hoping to get your input:

Rented a car to go from LGA to PHL (1 day rental). Reserved a mid-size as usual being an Executive, and got an SUV from the Exec isle. The rental was done using one of the Free rental days in my account, so the actual cost was $0.00 (no taxes or any other fees). I have the Explorer card on my account, which provides primary insurance, but given that the cost of the rental was $0, nothing was charged to the card.

Now, I rented the vehicle at night, and it was a black SUV. I made the usual inspection and made sure there was no visible damage on the doors, front / back bumpers, and so forth. Car was parked in garage overnight, and midday was dropped off at PHL. Upon returning the vehicle, the agent made the usual checks, but then climbed on the roof of the car, and claimed that there was some denting on the roof. It was hard for me to notice in broad day light, so I would have never seen it at night.

Now I’m 100% positive that the damage was not caused during the time I rented the vehicle. In all likelihood, the damage was there before my rental, but they never noticed it as I bet 99/100 times they don’t even check the roof when someone returns the car.

I explained the situation to their damage recovery unit, but to no avail. They are determined to pursue the claim. The estimated the damage at $800.

My personal insurance has a $1,000 deductible so it won’t cover it. Now as to the Chase Explorer Card, am I out of luck because there was no actual charge on the card?

Many thanks

Offline Abet rich

• View Profile
« Reply #371 on: August 12, 2014, 03:15:01 PM »
So, I rent quite a bit from National, and never had a problem before, but ran into a major issue on the last rental, with a pretty unique situation. Was hoping to get your input:

Rented a car to go from LGA to PHL (1 day rental). Reserved a mid-size as usual being an Executive, and got an SUV from the Exec isle. The rental was done using one of the Free rental days in my account, so the actual cost was $0.00 (no taxes or any other fees). I have the Explorer card on my account, which provides primary insurance, but given that the cost of the rental was $0, nothing was charged to the card.

Now, I rented the vehicle at night, and it was a black SUV. I made the usual inspection and made sure there was no visible damage on the doors, front / back bumpers, and so forth. Car was parked in garage overnight, and midday was dropped off at PHL. Upon returning the vehicle, the agent made the usual checks, but then climbed on the roof of the car, and claimed that there was some denting on the roof. It was hard for me to notice in broad day light, so I would have never seen it at night.

Now I’m 100% positive that the damage was not caused during the time I rented the vehicle. In all likelihood, the damage was there before my rental, but they never noticed it as I bet 99/100 times they don’t even check the roof when someone returns the car.

I explained the situation to their damage recovery unit, but to no avail. They are determined to pursue the claim. The estimated the damage at $800.

My personal insurance has a $1,000 deductible so it won’t cover it. Now as to the Chase Explorer Card, am I out of luck because there was no actual charge on the card?

Many thanks
About the CC yes you are out if luck bc they will not cover it since there was no charge to the card. For the claim try calling and getting as high up on the chain and explain to them what happened and see if they waive it. Good luck

Offline zlt123

• View Profile
« Reply #372 on: August 12, 2014, 03:36:59 PM »
i think in NY you only have to pay the first $100

Offline TAVI

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: August 12, 2014, 03:52:30 PM »
About the CC yes you are out if luck bc they will not cover it since there was no charge to the card. For the claim try calling and getting as high up on the chain and explain to them what happened and see if they waive it. Good luck

Yes, i'm trying to, spoke with 3 managers in their recovery unit, but they claim they can't do a thing. 2 of them were super nice too. i guess need to find a corporate contact info.

Offline Abet rich

• View Profile
« Reply #374 on: August 12, 2014, 04:00:30 PM »
Yes, i'm trying to, spoke with 3 managers in their recovery unit, but they claim they can't do a thing. 2 of them were super nice too. i guess need to find a corporate contact info.
They usually have executive numbers that you have to find that the people are high enough to do wtvr they like and they could take care of it

Offline MrV

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #375 on: August 13, 2014, 02:21:19 AM »
I started reading from the first page and realized that info no longer applies (like CO OnePass doesn't exist anymore)

(Flying in from California) I'm planning to rent a car in Calgary this weekend and possibly again to drive to Vancouver about 10 days later...
What's the best card to use so that I don't have to worry about insurance?

Thank you!

Offline zlt123

• View Profile
« Reply #376 on: August 13, 2014, 09:18:05 AM »
Read the wiki. But the Sapphire Preferred is prob. the best card to use for rantels

Offline lunatic

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: August 14, 2014, 01:20:46 PM »
So the Barclay's Arrival website says the following about insurance "when you pay for the entire rental transaction with your card".
If a voucher is used and you put the entire final cost (i.e. taxes) on the card, will they still cover it?

Online beeweegee

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: August 17, 2014, 02:20:57 AM »
Should I have any problem with renting a car in Puerto Rico using SP for insurance coverage?

Offline Mech

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC, National EE, United Silver, SkyTeam Silver
« Reply #379 on: August 17, 2014, 03:10:00 AM »
Does sapphire preffered cover liability??