Author Topic: Dubai Trip Report  (Read 6846 times)

Offline Suave

• DansDeals Developer
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
    • SWIZU Web Development
  • Programs: Photoshop
Dubai Trip Report
« on: December 29, 2014, 01:03:49 PM »
In response to the increased interest in Dubai.

I am condensing several visits into one post.

Most times I landed and Departed via DXB Terminal 1. For the record, I have worn my kippah and put on teffilin in the terminal without any issues (other than occasional dirty looks). There are some quite corners like gender separated prayer rooms and quite zones. (I found an open unattended office in concourse C which I took the liberty of using for an hour to send some emails etc)

Customs & Immigration:
Those with a US Passport with Israeli stamps need not worry. I have over 20 Israeli stamps and had no issues at all. I saw another passenger being told he cant enter, I called a supervisor for him and everything was solved. According to official policy, those born in Israel can enter as well - with a US passport. Agents are generally friendly, I often wonder how the agents keep their thawbs (robes) so clean and white. I have never spent more than 6-7 minutes clearing customs/immigration. (seems the agents have some office or hangout area - they all head to their stations when large crowds arrive in the hall)

Transportation from Airport:
You must get a card first (Red Card is best I think) Generally I would take the Metro/Red Line to town (6AM-12PM) I got off at  Burj Dubai / Dubai Mall, Then walked through the Air Conditioned walkways for another 10 minutes to reach the mall. When using the metro, try to get on the first/last car as you will see the city better that way. Printable Metro Map

I had to take a bus from the airport once which was a real pain. I had to buy a transit card downstairs and missed the bus twice because of it. it is mostly used by employees - you may get intimidating looks if you wear your kippah on the bus.

Dubai Mall & Fountain:
Huge Mall with lots to see and do, You can spend an entire day here (I even had a doctors visit there). There are some OU products scattered through the shops. The fountains are a must see. Find a shady spot like under the bridge to watch it as it is EXTREMELY hot there during the day.
Afternoon Shows 
Daily except Friday: 1:00pm & 1:30pm 
Friday: 1:30pm & 2:00pm

Evening Shows
Daily: 6:00pm to 11:00pm
(Every 30 Minutes)

There are lots of other exciting things to do at the mall, like the aquarium etc. Dubai Mall Website
At the Top / Burj Khalifa
Some may enjoy visiting the observation deck on the tallest building in the world. I found it worth the $36 advance ticket price. It will be much more at the gate - although some vendors sell advance tickets at a small premium in various kiosks throughout the mall. There are several different price options + bar etc. Sunset hours are best times but often sold out weeks in advance (PS, I hung out there for hours - finishing up some work on my laptop)Info | Buy Tickets

A380 Experience:
Some of you avioholics would enjoy it - but its 350 AED ($95) per 30 minute session. Info

I took the red line to Bur Juman to see the old town, souqs, and museums. I had to walk a few minutes from the station to the museum past the four seasons etc...

Dubai Museum:
I enjoyed this, gave me a good idea of Dubai's history as well as a glimpse into beduin life in general. I spent about 2 hours here.

Bastakiya (Old town):
One of my favorite parts of dubai, Older style buildings, lots of artists making handcrafted goods. We spent more than an hour sitting with an artist who taught us foil hammer art. He tooks us into his home and served us tea.

Old Souq:
Nice little shuk with spices, textiles etc. ALWAYS BARGAIN. Start at 30% of the asking price.

I then walked past the grand mosque and hindu temple and jumped on a little boat (1AED) to cross the Dubai Creek to Deirah/Al Ras

Gold Souq, Spice Souq etc.
I loved them all, Found some shade here too :-) The fish market is only exciting in the early AM

Malls:
Dubai is famous for its malls, Look up Mall of the Emirates Wafi Mall of Arabia

Beaches:
I personally enjoyed Marina beach (went for skinny dip/ mikva at 5am) But most people would head to Al Mamzar Beach (I haven't spotted any mamzerim there though) There are also some private hotel beaches which are quite cool but youll have to work your way in.

Burj al Arab
I Haven't been inside yet as security was very strict - you can make reservations at Skyview bar (275 AED min) and then not sit down once you are inside?  Info

Adventure
There are lots of cool hot things to do in and around Dubai, Camel Rides, 4x4, Dune Bashing, Hot Air Baloons, Desert Safari, Sandboarding, Sea Planes etc.
I would have loved to try some of them, but most desert options leave at 8:30am, while other options are just too expensive.

My Pics:

The Burj Khalifa

Somewhere in the Dubai Mall - I just loved the composition, Black, White & Pink + Chanel & DKNY

At the Bastakia

The old Souk near the boat launch

An exhibit at the Dubai Museum

At the bastakia

The Boat Launch (water taxi dock)

Exchange Rate:
1 USD = 3.67 AED
(The AED is pegged against the dollar, so it should stay the same rate for a while)

Additional Reading:
Dubai WikitravelUAE Wikitravel
LonelyPlanet Dubai | TIME CityGuide Dubai | TripAdvisor Dubai
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 01:26:07 PM by Suave »
DDMS Built with ♥ by SWIZU

Offline Fan of Dan

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Dubai Trip Report
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2014, 01:09:29 PM »
Thanks for the amazing TR! Crazy that someone who had Israeli stamps when you were there almost didn't get in...

Offline Yaalili

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 157
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2014, 02:44:09 PM »
Cool. With anyone going to AUH on the glitch, etihad has free buses for all passengers to go check this all out.

Offline Chuck2

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United, Hertz, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Avis Chairman, Hertz PC
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2014, 12:51:53 AM »
Thank you Suave for this awesome detailed TR
:-)

Offline MosheD

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2015, 09:43:59 AM »
Thanks
Thinking of scheduling an extended stopover here

Offline Yosef_S

• View Profile
  • Programs: DL Skymiles - Platinum Medallion; UA Mileage Plus - Premier Platinum; AF/KLM FlyingBlue - Gold; Hyatt Gold Passport - Diamond; Hilton HHonors - Gold; Starwood Preferred Guest - Gold; National Emerald Executive Elite; Hertz #1 Club Gold Presidents Circle
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2015, 09:24:40 PM »
Lotsa great info here, thanks!

I have a 26 hour layover in AUH (8A - 10A+1) on the way back from JNB with the EY glitch. Was originally assuming I wold stay in Abu Dhabi, but recently considering going to Dubai for the day instead, especially with the free bus xfer. With only one day, is it worth it to go to Dubai or is it better served by being saved for a future trip?
Former DDF Lurker Finally Getting the Hang of Posting...

Offline MosheD

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2015, 04:34:16 PM »

especially with the free bus xfer.

?

Offline damaxer91

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2015, 05:13:25 PM »
Lotsa great info here, thanks!

I have a 26 hour layover in AUH (8A - 10A+1) on the way back from JNB with the EY glitch. Was originally assuming I wold stay in Abu Dhabi, but recently considering going to Dubai for the day instead, especially with the free bus xfer. With only one day, is it worth it to go to Dubai or is it better served by being saved for a future trip?

To me, the Mosque in Abu Dhabi is the best atraction in the UAE

Offline Yosef_S

• View Profile
  • Programs: DL Skymiles - Platinum Medallion; UA Mileage Plus - Premier Platinum; AF/KLM FlyingBlue - Gold; Hyatt Gold Passport - Diamond; Hilton HHonors - Gold; Starwood Preferred Guest - Gold; National Emerald Executive Elite; Hertz #1 Club Gold Presidents Circle
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2015, 08:41:27 PM »

?

EY offers free bus xfers from AUH to Dubai.
Former DDF Lurker Finally Getting the Hang of Posting...

Offline Suave

• DansDeals Developer
    • View Profile
    • SWIZU Web Development
  • Programs: Photoshop
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2015, 10:13:17 AM »
Tip for those travelling to muslim/arabic/middle eastern countries.

Wear a Muslim kippah (known there as a Taqiyah). I do it a lot (I look Muslim, so that helps) but anyone with a beard or dark complexion can blend right in + you can hide your payos underneath.

Personally I prefer the black as other colors often have meaning. (I carry it with me on all my travels)

DDMS Built with ♥ by SWIZU

Offline DMYD

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2015, 11:11:49 AM »
cute but I would rather look like a tourist then a Muslim. maybe if you have the color, and name on passport isn't that Jewish it would be a good idea. And if going with wife I guess she will wear the Higab.