Author Topic: "First" in Antarctica?  (Read 10094 times)

Offline BarryLincoln

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Platinum, National Executive, Hertz Five Star
Re: "First" in Antarctica?
« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2018, 04:38:48 PM »
Why are we all raining on @Dan and @Something Fishy's parade?!?!?  Their trip is a major milestone, even if it's not necessarily the "first".  They are doing a great job and have attracted quite the audience.  Props to them for making it all work!!

Offline jose34

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2018, 04:53:29 PM »
Why are we all raining on @Dan and @Something Fishy's parade?!?!?  Their trip is a major milestone, even if it's not necessarily the "first".  They are doing a great job and have attracted quite the audience.  Props to them for making it all work!!

+1!

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2018, 05:26:15 PM »
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline yandmk

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2018, 05:42:50 PM »
That's a crazy big ship.
Couldn't happen anymore as operators are not allowed to have more than 100 people on land now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourism_in_Antarctica

"Occasionally, very large cruise vessels have visited Antarctica carrying over 950 people. These vessels are usually cruise based and offer no landings. However, in 2009, new regulations were enforced that stopped large vessels from operating in Antarctic waters due to their heavier fuel oils. Ships normally can only land 100 people at a time and those that carry over 500 people are not allowed to land anyone."

That's another reason today's cruises are so expensive.
Just curious, who makes these regulations? The Antarctica government?  ;D

Offline Lou Bob

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2018, 07:18:36 PM »
I now have a renewed skepticism of the "first x in Antarctica" or the "once in a lifetime" comments.
scam!
Always use an Amex, you'll thank me one day.

Online Moishebatchy

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 23
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Arzei Makolet Platinum, Yossi's Makolet Silver, Yesh! Gold, Rav Kav Dirt
« Reply #45 on: December 29, 2018, 03:45:19 PM »
I'm still gonna stand by my claim that the siyum I made was the first one in history to be done on Antarctic soil. If anyone from the two previous cruises would like to claim that title, then by all means - they're more than welcome to come forward and make that claim. But until that happens (and it probably never will), I'm keeping my flag planted. :)

Upthread there's a video for "first siyum in Antarctica". Considering this is at a minimum the 3rd organized trip to go, that claim is [citation needed].

Not really... there's a big difference between "first minyan" and "first siyum".

A minyan is something Jews try their best to make everywhere they go - heck, even at highway rest stops, at baseball games, and on airplanes. It's very common... so when you hear a group of Jews went somewhere together, it's highly likely they formed a minyan at some point. Therefore, it's safe to presume that they made a minyan, unless proven otherwise.

A siyum masechta, on the other hand, is far more rare. It's not something you usually do 3 times a day, every day... quite the contrary - it's something that's done (at best) only once in a while, and with expending lots of time and a great deal effort to accomplish it. Many people people never make a siyum at all, even while home, let alone while traveling! Therefore, even if Jews went somewhere (and especially when they've been there so few times), it's safe to assume a siyum was not made there. Unless someone actually comes forward claiming that he did, the default "chazakah" is that it was not done.

Offline davidrotts63

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 26
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz Gold, Hyatt Member, BA Blue, Ebay banned, Amazon Prime
« Reply #46 on: December 29, 2018, 03:46:50 PM »
I'm still gonna stand by my claim that the siyum I made was the first one in history to be done on Antarctic soil. If anyone from the two previous cruises would like to claim that title, then by all means - they're more than welcome to come forward and make that claim. But until that happens (and it probably never will), I'm keeping my flag planted. :)

Not really... there's a big difference between "first minyan" and "first siyum".

A minyan is something Jews try their best to make everywhere they go - heck, even at highway rest stops, at baseball games, and on airplanes. It's very common... so when you hear a group of Jews went somewhere together, it's highly likely they formed a minyan at some point. Therefore, it's safe to presume that they made a minyan, unless proven otherwise.

A siyum masechta, on the other hand, is far more rare. It's not something you usually do 3 times a day, every day... quite the contrary - it's something that's done (at best) only once in a while, and with expending lots of time and a great deal effort to accomplish it. Many people people never make a siyum at all, even while home, let alone while traveling! Therefore, even if Jews went somewhere (and especially when they've been there so few times), it's safe to assume a siyum was not made there. Unless someone actually comes forward claiming that he did, the default "chazakah" is that it was not done.
We stand with you :)
Mazal Tov!
(Quit) pulling out the flowers, and watering the weeds. -Peter Lynch

Offline henche

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 29, 2018, 06:42:53 PM »
I think the one on the 90s also printed tanya there, not just made joke about doing it