Author Topic: Question on changing the award ticket from AA to JAL (still "On Request" status)  (Read 2666 times)

Offline joykid

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
I am newbie here so please bear with me :) First off, Happy New Year 2015! I wish you a prosperous new year with more miles and travels for you! :)

I have a couple questions, appreciate it a lot if you could please
help since I am in so much stress thinking of my first award tickets now:

1. I called AA to change my award ticket from AA F class to JAL F class, the agent told me it won’t be any additional fee and she helped me to cancel the old booking and made new booking, she said it require the redeposit of miles into my AA account and refund for the tax and then it will automatically deduct the miles and charges for the tax from same credit card I used for the new booking. She gave me the record locator number. She said it takes few hours before it gets ticketed. I checked online on AA website and it says it still in “On Request” status since Dec 20. The tax fee for old booking has already been refunded to my credit card and also the miles also has been deposited into my AA account. But no charges made for the new booking yet. What gives?
Do you think I should wait it out until it gets automatically “Ticketed” or call AA again?
My concern is, since the old award ticket from SFO-NRT and new one is SFO-HND, I am afraid if I call and get different agent they will tell me that I need to pay additional fee since the destination is different (NRT verse HND), while the agent who helped me canceled the old award ticket and rebooked the new award ticket said that there would be no additional fee.

If my award ticket is still “On Request” status, do anyone can see it available on BA.com and grab the spot/availability? or for sure I will get it since I made the booking over the phone. These are last seats on JAL F and I spent a lot of time checking it everyday until I saw it available, so I am really concerned.

2. If I have to call, do you think that certain day and time can
determine the agent who is working on that day/time is competent or not, for example, calling on Monday morning is better since more competent agent would be placed on the busy hours rather than weekends, or vice versa.....if so, what day or time do you recommend to call.

3. Can you please recommend the best lounge that I can access at SFO and NRT, if flying JAL First class?

THANKS in advance!

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
Switching from NRT to HND requires a change fee.  Provided there was availability in JL F when you called, it shouldn't have taken longer than 24 hours to ticket, and certainly not until now. I'd call AA and swallow paying the fee before you lose JL F, if you haven't already.

2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
He already got refunded the miles from the old award. How could he have pay a change fee now?
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
He already got refunded the miles from the old award. How could he have pay a change fee now?

Missed that. I'd definitely call to find out what's going on.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline joykid

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
Yes the miles from old award are already re-deposited back into my account....

Offline joykid

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
If I have to call, do you think that certain day and time can determine the agent who is working on that day/time is competent or not, for example, calling on Monday morning is better since more competent agent would be placed on the busy hours rather than weekends, or vice versa.....if so, what day or time do you recommend to call.

Offline joykid

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
Thanks to all who helping. My unanswered questions are: I wouldn’t have to pay any additional fee and AA cannot charge me additional fee since the first agent who helped me said that there would not be any additional fee, right?

If the award ticket is “On Request” status, does anyone can still see it as available in BA.com and grab the spot/availability? I do have the record locator for both AA and JAL, it just the status still “on request”. :-X 

Offline joeb1

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, CPA, Travel Agent
Not necessarily
Sometimes

Offline Marco Polo

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 104
    • View Profile
If I have to call, do you think that certain day and time can determine the agent who is working on that day/time is competent or not, for example, calling on Monday morning is better since more competent agent would be placed on the busy hours rather than weekends, or vice versa.....if so, what day or time do you recommend to call.
No time like the present. May take a few calls, but may as well start now.
Quaerite et Invenietis.