Author Topic: Travel Agent Market Research - Your thoughts on 21st century Agents.  (Read 25472 times)

Offline ilherman

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
Re: Travel Agent Market Research - Your thoughts on 21st century Agents.
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2015, 10:52:09 PM »
Im talking from experience(with expedia).   They can help you with all of it.  We can agree  to  disagree
Try all these with Priceline and let me know how well they helped.
Student fares. Getting waivers for international trips with no weekends. Affordable international one ways. Some TAs can get you WAY better prices than online especially last minute when its very expensive online.
You can say what you think when you think what you say.

Offline DMYD

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2015, 10:59:18 PM »
The question should be with a Travel Agent that is not on DDF!  :)

Offline thaber

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2015, 12:14:59 AM »
One more point - I may be wrong, but it seems that travel agents 'hold' large swaths of seats on the popular flights to Israel, around yom tov time, and that sucks for the rest of us

Offline HolyNyc

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2015, 08:47:41 AM »
One more point - I may be wrong, but it seems that travel agents 'hold' large swaths of seats on the popular flights to Israel, around yom tov time, and that sucks for the rest of us
as in any industry
(one example is when large banks stockpile steel or other commodities to raise the price and then sell at the higher price)

Offline thaber

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2015, 08:48:35 AM »
as in any industry
(one example is when large banks stockpile steel or other commodities to raise the price and then sell at the higher price)
Right,  and that's illegal in many cases

Offline Phase IV

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2015, 01:37:58 PM »
I’ll start by saying that I don’t think this is the ideal place to start your research. The members on this forum are accustomed to arranging their travel plans alone and take advantage of many travel hacks discussed on this forum. Understandably the fact that they can at times take advantage of the services offered by travel agencies would be hard to fathom. As with any service across the industry, there are as many incompetent sales agents as there are superior ones. I do understand that the general sentiment expressed here is an assesment of those on the receiving end of the not such good service. However, just as extensive are the sentiments expressed by those who benefit from the amazing agents out there.

Yes, there are countless times a travel agent can be imperative or shall I say even as far as a necessity.  In the world I live in, people work for a living. Saving money is always of utmost importance however time is also of great value. TA’s can be knowlegedable, pleasant, honest etc. { I use the word can for a reason. I will elaborate further.} There is also the world of business/corporate travel. And I can almost guarantee that not one person in that category will use Dans Deals as a basis to save money on their travel. They need to get to places at specific times, with specific carriers and many times needing to circumvent rules such as minimum stay, advance purchase etc. I would love to see how other ddfer’s would comment if there would be a post from a business traveler using a TA.

Agents are human. Yes I write that because unfortunately, technology has caused people to forget what that word means. So what to love/hate about agents? Humans are not phones or computers or whatever BFF’s the human race has as their technological devices. They cannot be yelled at, banged around put on silent/vibrate or powered off. So some may say using a website to book/arrange their travel is much simpler than speaking to a live agent. However unlike a device, we give back. And that all depends on what you give us. We are not 411. We are not another credit card scam where the more you yell the more points you’re compensated with. We are there to help and save our clients money. We are there to give the knowledge we have to better their experiences, their vacations, their travel for whatever reason. We have deals that far surpass many found online. We give so much of our time, so many times without even creating a booking for the caller. We are honest{we do not circumvent the rules an airline sets as to us that is geneiva}, we are kind {whilst sometimes biting our teeth at the caller's audacity} and we are competent beyond your expectations. All you have to do is find a good agent. There are so many out there. If you want to badmouth the TA’s, there is room to knock down every other idustry out there. There is plenty of dishonesty, arrogance, and simply put -horrible people out there. But on the flipside, there is just as much honesty, kindness and special people who’s actions would astound you.

There is always room to grow in what agents can offer. The more an agent learns, the more he/she wants to know, the more they can offer. The personal service they provide is something you cannot get on any website and no one can disagree with this. It’s a FACT.

Re the VIP services , it’s unclear if you are referring to those offered in Ben Gurion airport. If you are, it is a widely debated topic and I think it is more of a personal opinion for each traveler themselves as it’s an extra/a comfort. Therefore I will leave this unanswered.

Re the commission topic; I will only brush the surface of this as unlike the general understanding of the layman, I feel this topic is way too deep and complex than anyone on this thread assumes. Firstly, just to set some misconceptions straight, commissions on most tickets are far from lucrative.  Included in the commission is the endless time and patience an agent provides, as well as the knowledge they offer. Additionally there is a lot of other backoffice work but suffice it to say that after a ticket is purchased, the work does not end there. Would you ever walk into a supermarket and ask the cashier how dare he make 50 cents on the bottle of milk you are purchasing? The layman’s mind does not assess the amount of money it took to bring that bottle into his hand at the register, yet if we would all be stupid enough to think it’s from cow to mouth, we would all have a cow in our backyard. Fortunately we are wiser than that.  Likewise, a surcharge at a travel agency may sometimes be neccasary to cover expenses to give you that ticket. We are not here to rip you off. We are competive and honest. We are also offering you convenience. Let us say we would set the pendulum to count the minutes involved in a sale. Firstly, it would move faster than the eye can see, and a penny for every swing would rack up way more than any fairly charged fee.

My post is not here to try to convice any of the benefits/disadvantages of using a TA versus online systems. Travelers using TA’s know very well why they won’t leave and I have no need to convice them- they are convinced themselves and proof of this is their return again and again. Our clients are proud to belong to our family- and we treat them as such. The real point I am even logging this post is to possibly bring to the attention of so many out there that there is a side to TA’s that apparantely most of you are ignorant about. The big deal is to find a keeper, as once you do you’ll finally understand my post. /rant
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 01:47:44 PM by Phase IV »

Offline Mordyk

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Some of this and some of that.
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2015, 01:48:31 PM »
Welcome to DDF!!!

some points may be correct. but if you miss the point that many online booking places you can have help from an agent as well!
#TYH

Offline thaber

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2015, 01:51:35 PM »
There is also the world of business/corporate travel. And I can almost guarantee that not one person in that category will use Dans Deals as a basis to save money on their travel.

They need to get to places at specific times, with specific carriers and many times needing to circumvent rules such as minimum stay, advance purchase etc. I would love to see how other ddfer’s would comment if there would be a post from a business traveler using a TA.

I would strongly beg to differ with this, and I bet many others would as well. Spend some time on the forums, plenty of us are business travelers with very specific needs. I f you know what you're doing it takes just as little time to be smart and savvy as it does to pick up the phone and call an agent.

We are not another credit card scam where the more you yell the more points you’re compensated with.... 
I don't think that is how most of us get points/miles :)
We have deals that far surpass many found online.

Is that still true? Not in my personal experience.
We give so much of our time, so many times without even creating a booking for the caller.
very valid point. but you have to make up for that time, parnassa wise, and websites etc. don't.
We are honest{we do not circumvent the rules an airline sets as to us that is geneiva}, we are kind {whilst sometimes biting our teeth at the caller's audacity} and we are competent beyond your expectations. All you have to do is find a good agent.
and your phone number is ... :)

Re the VIP services , it’s unclear if you are referring to those offered in Ben Gurion airport. If you are, it is a widely debated topic and I think it is more of a personal opinion for each traveler themselves as it’s an extra/a comfort. Therefore I will leave this unanswered.
I meant just in general, concierge type things

Re the commission topic; I will only brush the surface of this as unlike the general understanding of the layman, I feel this topic is way too deep and complex than anyone on this thread assumes. Firstly, just to set some misconceptions straight, commissions on most tickets are far from lucrative.  Included in the commission is the endless time and patience an agent provides, as well as the knowledge they offer. Additionally there is a lot of other backoffice work but suffice it to say that after a ticket is purchased, the work does not end there. Would you ever walk into a supermarket and ask the cashier how dare he make 50 cents on the bottle of milk you are purchasing? The layman’s mind does not assess the amount of money it took to bring that bottle into his hand at the register, yet if we would all be stupid enough to think it’s from cow to mouth, we would all have a cow in our backyard. Fortunately we are wiser than that.  Likewise, a surcharge at a travel agency may sometimes be neccasary to cover expenses to give you that ticket. We are not here to rip you off. We are competive and honest. We are also offering you convenience. Let us say we would set the pendulum to count the minutes involved in a sale. Firstly, it would move faster than the eye can see, and a penny for every swing would rack up way more than any fairly charged fee.

This is very true, and people are happy to pay a premium, if they're gaining in the convenience of not having to have a cow. but that only works if there is a clear advantage, which I have yet to see.

Offline Phase IV

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2015, 02:19:10 PM »
I would strongly beg to differ with this, and I bet many others would as well. Spend some time on the forums, plenty of us are business travelers with very specific needs. I f you know what you're doing it takes just as little time to be smart and savvy as it does to pick up the phone and call an agent.
When I used the term business travelers, I was not referring to those looking to save those few dollars. I am referring to those in corporate travel- traveling at least once a week and the benefit of them having a travel agent is comparative to those with PA's.
I don't think that is how most of us get points/miles :)

No I did not assume or write that either. I was just bringing across the point where people feel that if they need something, the best way to go about it is to yell.
Is that still true? Not in my personal experience.

Yes that is still very true. It's hard to state all the instances, but one example would be; if your travel includes something you may not find avail with points.
very valid point. but you have to make up for that time, parnassa wise, and websites etc. don't.
You aren't charged per hour or what we have to make up for. 9/10 times our rates are at least equal or better than those offered online.
and your phone number is ... :)

I'd prefer to keep you in suspense:) And there are loads of amazing agents out there. Find one!
I meant just in general, concierge type things

Again- this is vague- concierge? Are you referring to hotels/cars/day trips or any extras other than flights?
This is very true, and people are happy to pay a premium, if they're gaining in the convenience of not having to have a cow. but that only works if there is a clear advantage, which I have yet to see.
As I said. Find a keeper and you'll understand my post.

Offline chff

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 25
    • View Profile
  • Programs: All of them...
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2015, 02:43:18 PM »
I’ll start by saying that I don’t think this is the ideal place to start your research. The members on this forum are accustomed to arranging their travel plans alone and take advantage of many travel hacks discussed on this forum. Understandably the fact that they can at times take advantage of the services offered by travel agencies would be hard to fathom. As with any service across the industry, there are as many incompetent sales agents as there are superior ones. I do understand that the general sentiment expressed here is an assesment of those on the receiving end of the not such good service. However, just as extensive are the sentiments expressed by those who benefit from the amazing agents out there.

Yes, there are countless times a travel agent can be imperative or shall I say even as far as a necessity.  In the world I live in, people work for a living. Saving money is always of utmost importance however time is also of great value. TA’s can be knowlegedable, pleasant, honest etc. { I use the word can for a reason. I will elaborate further.} There is also the world of business/corporate travel. And I can almost guarantee that not one person in that category will use Dans Deals as a basis to save money on their travel. They need to get to places at specific times, with specific carriers and many times needing to circumvent rules such as minimum stay, advance purchase etc. I would love to see how other ddfer’s would comment if there would be a post from a business traveler using a TA.

Agents are human. Yes I write that because unfortunately, technology has caused people to forget what that word means. So what to love/hate about agents? Humans are not phones or computers or whatever BFF’s the human race has as their technological devices. They cannot be yelled at, banged around put on silent/vibrate or powered off. So some may say using a website to book/arrange their travel is much simpler than speaking to a live agent. However unlike a device, we give back. And that all depends on what you give us. We are not 411. We are not another credit card scam where the more you yell the more points you’re compensated with. We are there to help and save our clients money. We are there to give the knowledge we have to better their experiences, their vacations, their travel for whatever reason. We have deals that far surpass many found online. We give so much of our time, so many times without even creating a booking for the caller. We are honest{we do not circumvent the rules an airline sets as to us that is geneiva}, we are kind {whilst sometimes biting our teeth at the caller's audacity} and we are competent beyond your expectations. All you have to do is find a good agent. There are so many out there. If you want to badmouth the TA’s, there is room to knock down every other idustry out there. There is plenty of dishonesty, arrogance, and simply put -horrible people out there. But on the flipside, there is just as much honesty, kindness and special people who’s actions would astound you.

There is always room to grow in what agents can offer. The more an agent learns, the more he/she wants to know, the more they can offer. The personal service they provide is something you cannot get on any website and no one can disagree with this. It’s a FACT.

My post is not here to try to convice any of the benefits/disadvantages of using a TA versus online systems. Travelers using TA’s know very well why they won’t leave and I have no need to convice them- they are convinced themselves and proof of this is their return again and again. Our clients are proud to belong to our family- and we treat them as such. The real point I am even logging this post is to possibly bring to the attention of so many out there that there is a side to TA’s that apparantely most of you are ignorant about. The big deal is to find a keeper, as once you do you’ll finally understand my post. /rant
Well said!!

Offline HolyNyc

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2015, 03:28:18 PM »
Welcome to DDF!!!
I don't know for sure but it seems to me that he's a long time ddf'r
"/rant" is not a first time post IMO

Offline Emkay

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2015, 05:41:14 PM »

{we do not circumvent the rules an airline sets as to us that is geneiva}
Is that really the reason?? Or is it because of the consequences?

Offline AI-TRAVEL

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2015, 06:25:18 PM »
Is that really the reason?? Or is it because of the consequences?
I would say it depends in the TA. That's really the problem with this thread. It all depends on the TA.

Offline Phase IV

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2015, 08:28:02 PM »
I don't know for sure but it seems to me that he's a long time ddf'r
"/rant" is not a first time post IMO
Imagine that! A first time post is a possibility. Viewing and posting need separate welcomes :)

Offline Tankchucker

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2015, 09:00:50 PM »
I always email my TA, when he responds I check kayaks price and he's always around the same price as kayak I take him to give a yid parnasah, what do I have to lose and he makes a few bucks, But honestly I can always get the same thing that he give me from kayak.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 09:06:03 PM by Tankchucker »

Offline thaber

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2015, 09:26:34 PM »

Yes that is still very true. It's hard to state all the instances, but one example would be; if your travel includes something you may not find avail with points

To be clear,  I was referring to cash purchases

Find a keeper and you'll understand my post.
I'd love a referral,  you can pm me. I'm happy to give it another go around

Offline thaber

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2015, 09:27:23 PM »
Imagine that! A first time post is a possibility. Viewing and posting need separate welcomes :)
And this is what inspired the lengthy first post!

Offline rcarentals

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz 1# Plat, Sabre, Travel Agent
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2015, 01:02:50 PM »
Great discussion!
All this feedback is amazing - i welcome the positive and negative, as well the analysis on whether this is the right place for this discussion, everything!
Thank you all. Keep it coming.
Good Shabbos!
Do not boast for tomorrow, Because you do not know what the day will bear.(Mishlei C27.V1)

Offline Mordyk

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Some of this and some of that.
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2015, 10:22:07 PM »
One more point.  If you are a travel agent dont come here and explain how good you are.  We are the customer and we will tell you if you are needed.
#TYH

Offline AnonymousUser

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2015, 02:23:09 AM »
One more point.  If you are a travel agent dont come here and explain how good you are.  We are the customer and we will tell you if you are needed.
Huh? What do you think advertising is?
Besides, he didn't start off saying how good he was. He posted a poll, then just debated the negative answers given.