Author Topic: Travel Agent Market Research - Your thoughts on 21st century Agents.  (Read 25016 times)

Offline Mordyk

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Some of this and some of that.
Re: Travel Agent Market Research - Your thoughts on 21st century Agents.
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2015, 04:43:29 AM »
Huh? What do you think advertising is?
Besides, he didn't start off saying how good he was. He posted a poll, then just debated the negative answers given.
Wasn't  referring to the person that opened the  thread, was talking to the travel agent that came to rant over here how good they are. 
#TYH

Offline Chaikel

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 20
    • View Profile
  • Programs: LH SEN, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Rav Kav Platinum
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2015, 04:59:07 AM »
Those who believe booking online is better than a travel agent are probably those who use Sprint. Hamavin Yavin.
Create professional looking itineraries.
Check out eliteitinerary.com

Offline HolyNyc

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2015, 05:12:37 AM »
Those who believe booking online is better than a travel agent are probably those who use Sprint. Hamavin Yavin.
v'mi sheaino mavin? will you explain?  ;) :-\ :P

Offline Chaikel

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2015, 06:29:35 AM »
v'mi sheaino mavin? will you explain?  ;) :-\ :P
Some people care about service

Offline HolyNyc

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2015, 06:32:27 AM »
wow I wasn't expecting an answer at all

Offline thaber

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2015, 10:28:29 AM »
I actually switched from verizon to sprint, much better customer service.  The actual phone conversation is the same,  and it's cheaper.  And now the נידון is דומה לראיה.

Offline lunatic

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2015, 10:44:59 AM »
Sprint is  cheap. Not paying extra solely for customer service

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 11, 2015, 10:50:35 AM »
Dear dansdeals community.

I am working on my market research, and I wanted to ask a few questions to understand a bit about how travel agents are perceived by some groups. Your honest insights are appreciated. (This is not a agent recommendation thread, nor a bashing thread - please keep this academic)

1.When if ever would you feel "this is a ticket I might/should or must call an agent for & why"

2. What is your current feelings on travel agents? (Negative , positive, you feel they are honest, or sly, or impatient or very friendly and helpful?

3. What are the features you most love about agents?

4. What are the features you dislike most?

5. What do you think agents should offer that they dont? (Creativity here is a plus - think "the future travel agency")

6. Have you ever received VIP services arranged by an agent, if so did you find it worthwhile to pay for that?

7. On an international ticket of $1000 each for a family of 4, if you decided/needed to book through an agent, what size fee would you feel good about paying, or do you feel there should be no booking fee "as agents already get commisions from the airline"?

(I hope this is the appropriate place for such a post but please dont turn the discussion into a debate about that. Mods if its not feel free to move it)

TIA

The average user on DDF is more knowledgeable than the average person looking to buy a ticket. I could see where someone who doesn't know the first thing about booking tickets online or how to search for better prices might prefer an agent. And I can see where someone a bit more tech saavy and travel saavy might want to call an agent for a more complex itinerary where as  a DDFer could probably book the ticket himself.
Than there are those who would just not rather deal with the hassle of it and would prefer to call as well.
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline Mordy788

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 11, 2015, 11:44:42 AM »
I’ll start by saying that I don’t think this is the ideal place to start your research. The members on this forum are accustomed to arranging their travel plans alone and take advantage of many travel hacks discussed on this forum. Understandably the fact that they can at times take advantage of the services offered by travel agencies would be hard to fathom. As with any service across the industry, there are as many incompetent sales agents as there are superior ones. I do understand that the general sentiment expressed here is an assesment of those on the receiving end of the not such good service. However, just as extensive are the sentiments expressed by those who benefit from the amazing agents out there.

Yes, there are countless times a travel agent can be imperative or shall I say even as far as a necessity.  In the world I live in, people work for a living. Saving money is always of utmost importance however time is also of great value. TA’s can be knowlegedable, pleasant, honest etc. { I use the word can for a reason. I will elaborate further.} There is also the world of business/corporate travel. And I can almost guarantee that not one person in that category will use Dans Deals as a basis to save money on their travel. They need to get to places at specific times, with specific carriers and many times needing to circumvent rules such as minimum stay, advance purchase etc. I would love to see how other ddfer’s would comment if there would be a post from a business traveler using a TA.

Agents are human. Yes I write that because unfortunately, technology has caused people to forget what that word means. So what to love/hate about agents? Humans are not phones or computers or whatever BFF’s the human race has as their technological devices. They cannot be yelled at, banged around put on silent/vibrate or powered off. So some may say using a website to book/arrange their travel is much simpler than speaking to a live agent. However unlike a device, we give back. And that all depends on what you give us. We are not 411. We are not another credit card scam where the more you yell the more points you’re compensated with. We are there to help and save our clients money. We are there to give the knowledge we have to better their experiences, their vacations, their travel for whatever reason. We have deals that far surpass many found online. We give so much of our time, so many times without even creating a booking for the caller. We are honest{we do not circumvent the rules an airline sets as to us that is geneiva}, we are kind {whilst sometimes biting our teeth at the caller's audacity} and we are competent beyond your expectations. All you have to do is find a good agent. There are so many out there. If you want to badmouth the TA’s, there is room to knock down every other idustry out there. There is plenty of dishonesty, arrogance, and simply put -horrible people out there. But on the flipside, there is just as much honesty, kindness and special people who’s actions would astound you.

There is always room to grow in what agents can offer. The more an agent learns, the more he/she wants to know, the more they can offer. The personal service they provide is something you cannot get on any website and no one can disagree with this. It’s a FACT.

Re the VIP services , it’s unclear if you are referring to those offered in Ben Gurion airport. If you are, it is a widely debated topic and I think it is more of a personal opinion for each traveler themselves as it’s an extra/a comfort. Therefore I will leave this unanswered.

Re the commission topic; I will only brush the surface of this as unlike the general understanding of the layman, I feel this topic is way too deep and complex than anyone on this thread assumes. Firstly, just to set some misconceptions straight, commissions on most tickets are far from lucrative.  Included in the commission is the endless time and patience an agent provides, as well as the knowledge they offer. Additionally there is a lot of other backoffice work but suffice it to say that after a ticket is purchased, the work does not end there. Would you ever walk into a supermarket and ask the cashier how dare he make 50 cents on the bottle of milk you are purchasing? The layman’s mind does not assess the amount of money it took to bring that bottle into his hand at the register, yet if we would all be stupid enough to think it’s from cow to mouth, we would all have a cow in our backyard. Fortunately we are wiser than that.  Likewise, a surcharge at a travel agency may sometimes be neccasary to cover expenses to give you that ticket. We are not here to rip you off. We are competive and honest. We are also offering you convenience. Let us say we would set the pendulum to count the minutes involved in a sale. Firstly, it would move faster than the eye can see, and a penny for every swing would rack up way more than any fairly charged fee.

My post is not here to try to convice any of the benefits/disadvantages of using a TA versus online systems. Travelers using TA’s know very well why they won’t leave and I have no need to convice them- they are convinced themselves and proof of this is their return again and again. Our clients are proud to belong to our family- and we treat them as such. The real point I am even logging this post is to possibly bring to the attention of so many out there that there is a side to TA’s that apparantely most of you are ignorant about. The big deal is to find a keeper, as once you do you’ll finally understand my post. /rant

This is a great post and thank you for sharing.

A Travel Agent is providing a service, not a product. The product is provided by the actual supplier, such as an airline or hotel. If you are someone who values service and believes in the concept that time is money, you will want to find yourself a "good" travel agent.

American Express is one of the largest travel agencies in the world. They provide most of the large companies with travel services. Companies like IBM and Toyota are looking to save money and provide their employees with cost effective travel, that is why they turn to an agency for assistance. Bearing in mind that Cost effective travel means different things to different people.

Agencies do provide online access to corporate customers to book and change tickets. That technology costs money and is usually only available to corporate accounts.

Agencies also allow a company to set up travel rules for their employees. For example, Company "A" might have a negotiated rate with Delta Airlines for their employees. Mr Smith is one of their sales representatives and wants to fly Jet Blue. If the company has an agency that has provided them with the appropriate tools, Mr Smith would only be able to book Delta when he logs into the Agency's Travel Portal. In addition the Agency can provide expense reports to the company. Kayak will not do any of these things.

There are so many services an agent can provide that its really hard to quantify their value. Just like Doctors, Lawyers, and other industries, you need to find one that you are comfortable with and that you feel provides you value.

You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take. –Wayne Gretzky

Offline Chaikel

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2015, 01:06:23 PM »
The average user on DDF is more knowledgeable than the average person looking to buy a ticket. I could see where someone who doesn't know the first thing about booking tickets online or how to search for better prices might prefer an agent. And I can see where someone a bit more tech saavy and travel saavy might want to call an agent for a more complex itinerary where as  a DDFer could probably book the ticket himself.
Than there are those who would just not rather deal with the hassle of it and would prefer to call as well.
Ok, so lets see all the travel savvy DDFers (not TAs) figure this one out.
I can (as can most competent TAs) get Delta Direct NYC-TLV Mar 1 to Mar 4 for $979 all in, full mileage earning etc. Lemme see a screenshot of you getting that price online

Offline Mordy788

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2015, 02:52:27 PM »
I can (as can most competent TAs) get Delta Direct NYC-TLV Mar 1 to Mar 4 for $979 all in, full mileage earning etc. Lemme see a screenshot of you getting that price online

This shall be very interesting.  ;)
You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take. –Wayne Gretzky

Offline chff

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 25
    • View Profile
  • Programs: All of them...
« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2015, 08:29:03 PM »

full mileage earning etc.

Full mileage MQD as well?

Offline username

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
  • Programs: ┌──────────────────┐ │───> Ữ₴ΣЯИΛΜӘ <─── │ └──────────────────┘
« Reply #52 on: January 11, 2015, 08:51:17 PM »
 I'm not a TA, but if you will stop in Moscow, its only 366 buying thru KAYAK. HURRY! (Dont call Kayak ;) )

This flight leaves on Sunday, March 1 and arrives on Monday, March 2.
Departure
Sun, Mar 1
Transaero Airlines Flight 2222
Operated by Transaero Airlines
Take-off: Sun 2:25p
Landing: Mon 7:10a
JFK: John F Kennedy Intl
VKO: Vnukovo
8h 45m

Coach  | Boeing 777

Connection

VKO: Moscow, Russia
13h 35m
Transaero Airlines Flight 311
Take-off: Mon 8:45p
Landing: Mon 11:50p
TLV: Ben Gurion Intl
4h 05m

Coach  | Boeing 737-800 (winglets)
Return Flight
Wed, Mar 4
Transaero Airlines Flight 312
Take-off: Wed 12:55a
Landing: Wed 5:45a
TLV: Ben Gurion Intl
3h 50m

Coach  | Boeing 737-800 (winglets)

Connection

VKO: Moscow, Russia
4h 25m
Transaero Airlines Flight 1111
Take-off: Wed 10:10a
Landing: Wed 12:15p
JFK: John F Kennedy Intl
10h 05m

Coach  | Boeing 777
Fare Details
   Base Fare    Taxes & Carrier Surcharges    Total    
1 adult    $205.00    $160.96    $365.96    
Total    $365.96
^^^

Offline chff

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 25
    • View Profile
  • Programs: All of them...
« Reply #53 on: January 11, 2015, 08:53:04 PM »
Now this thread went off track

Offline username

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 11, 2015, 08:54:07 PM »
Now this thread went off track
Hey, I tried his challenge, and that's what i came up with. Nothing like a direct flight, but at least i tried...

looks like they are only charging the O/W price.
^^^

Offline Chaikel

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 12, 2015, 01:48:39 AM »

Full mileage MQD as well?
AFAIK. No MQDs when booked via TA? It's processed by DL

Offline thaber

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 12, 2015, 02:03:41 AM »
I think everyone agrees that there are cases that TA's can do better. But you're paying for the service right? The only time I pay cash for tickets ever is if I'm flying the family. To Israel that would be LAX-TLV direct on El AL. The past three times the prices matched or were more expensive than Elal.com and it was a bigger hassle to book it through a TA. My phone calls weren't returned, I didn't know if it was booked or not, and finally after sending emails and leaving voicemails for three days I booked it myself online (took all of 5 minutes to put in 8 peoples info), and all of a sudden my phone calls and emails were returned.
So there's the rant on the other side.

Offline HolyNyc

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 12, 2015, 04:58:18 AM »
has been mentioned before
Student fares. Getting waivers for international trips with no weekends. Affordable international one ways. Some TAs can get you WAY better prices than online especially last minute when its very expensive online.

Offline Alexsei

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
    • Travel & Kivrei Zadikim
  • Programs: COVID-23
« Reply #58 on: January 12, 2015, 10:33:21 AM »
Ok, so I know OP was already explained that this is not the right place but i will try to answer these questions from a different perspective like my family and friends who are not ddf'ers.

1.When if ever would you feel "this is a ticket I might/should or must call an agent for & why"
When you don't have much extra time, want a easy and simple process, call the TA tell them dates get your options book and fly.
IME i had multiple instances when people needed to be on a specific flight which was NOT bookable online at all anymore but TA's could help
And you can find enough people who did try to book online but nowadays they will use TA's, you make a mistake with entering the date, if you're lucky enough to have it changed for free you spent 3 hrs on the phone, same is with name mistakes

2. What is your current feelings on travel agents? (Negative , positive, you feel they are honest, or sly, or impatient or very friendly and helpful?
Depends on agent but usually Positive, honest and we should keep on using them if we want them to exist

3. What are the features you most love about agents?
They are at your service, recently my mother called a local TA to inquire about a flight, the fares were a bit high i recommended her to wait and she got  a call the next week from the TA that the price dropped!

4. What are the features you dislike most?
If you are flexible and don't have firm travel plans you feel like 2c keeping them on the phone (sometimes they make you feel like it & i understand it) and making them crazy, now if i go online to shop around and figure out everything i can as well book there.

5. What do you think agents should offer that they don't? (Creativity here is a plus - think "the future travel agency")
A service for their customers like in #2, these people don't have time to setup alerts etc. they would appreciate a call from the TA 
Convenience services such as online check in, they should take passport info (keep in file for future) and email you the boarding passes 24 hours b4 flight.
Offer to add mileage#s to tickets etc.

6. Have you ever received VIP services arranged by an agent, if so did you find it worthwhile to pay for that?

7. On an international ticket of $1000 each for a family of 4, if you decided/needed to book through an agent, what size fee would you feel good about paying, or do you feel there should be no booking fee "as agents already get commissions from the airline"?

I feel that on fares that offer a sizeable commission no fees should be added on net fares $40 per ticket seems reasonable.

Jews ≠ Zionists
Palestinians ≠ Hamas
Satmar ≠ SatmarHQ

Offline username

• View Profile
^^^