Author Topic: CUZ, IPC, PPT, MOZ, BOB  (Read 8752 times)

Offline ML1219

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
CUZ, IPC, PPT, MOZ, BOB
« on: January 06, 2015, 10:07:35 PM »
So first of all, let me apologize in advance - I don't have the writing talent and more importantly the time to write up a trip report to all of those places. Please forgive me.

With that out of the way, these are a lot of really cool destinations that have almost zero coverage on these forums from people who have actually been there. And almost zero information about the interwebs about jewish travel to those locales.

So I create this thread and extend the invitation for anyone who might have questions about any of those locations - getting there, koshering, using miles & points etc. Really anything you'd like to ask, I'm here to answer.

I was also in other places in South America for short periods, but I don't have much to add about those locations from what you can easily find on google, so i leave it to the locations in the thread title

Offline ML1219

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
Re: CUZ, IPC, PPT, MOZ, BOB
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2015, 10:20:15 PM »
For a little bit of background, I had the following itinerary:

Using 30K US miles* to fly business BOG-->SCL--IPC-->SCL-->LIM-->CUZ
Using 30K US miles** to fly business IPC-->PPT-->IPC
Using AA miles to get to and from South America in coach
Cash to get around french polynesia

* the best value in the mileage game. By far
** the 2nd best value in the mileage game. Once you find an agent you can convince IPC is in south pacific and not SA

Offline Yaalili

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 157
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2015, 10:28:51 PM »
So first of all, let me apologize in advance - I don't have the writing talent and more importantly the time to write up a trip report to all of those places. Please forgive me.

Make a picture report!

Offline ML1219

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2015, 10:34:35 PM »
Make a picture report!

Too many pictures that will eventually need to get sifted through, and will not be near my camera for another week.

Rest assured, the pictures on the IHG Thalasso's website are fairly accurate, much to my delight :)

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2015, 10:49:55 PM »
Too many pictures that will eventually need to get sifted through
Start with a few & keep adding

Offline ML1219

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2015, 11:02:16 PM »
Start with a few & keep adding

As I mentioned, I will not be near my camera for a week.

I can answer questions from firsthand experience about places that do not currently have firsthand accounts on this forum.... gotta, count for something, right?

Offline AJK

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2015, 11:05:48 PM »
Come on. At least do a small TR. This is a big cop out :)
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline TimT

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2015, 11:07:25 PM »
I can answer questions from firsthand experience about places that do not currently have firsthand accounts on this forum.... gotta, count for something, right?
Sure. So how were the flights, which hotels did you stay at ?

Offline ML1219

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2015, 11:24:25 PM »
Sure. So how were the flights, which hotels did you stay at ?

LAN has a solid hard product and very abundant entertainment selection. I would say it's at least middle of the pack among flat bed business classes (and obviously superior to any non-flat bed ones). Kosher food was nasty, as you might imagine. It's not SQ or CX by any stretch of the imagination, but considering I paid 60K for 15000 miles in business class, I probably wouldn't have complained about anything superior to Air Koryo.... this was at least on par with airlines like UA and LX, and superior to LH and IB

Hotels - IC's in PPT + both IC's in BOB. Hilton in MOZ. Some random hotel in IPC that I got on Orbitz. The 2 Luxury Collection hotels in the CUZ area.

IC Thalasso, Hilton MOZ and both SPG hotels in CUZ area were absolutely phenominal. All lived up to or exceeded expectations. And if you look at the reviews for each, you would know expectations are pretty high.

IC Le Moana was perfectly fine, but not even in the same stratosphere as Thalasso. IC PPT is solid as far as PPT options go, but no need to stay on that island when MOZ and BOB are calling you

Offline ML1219

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2015, 11:28:00 PM »
One huge money saver - Air Tahiti tickets bought in French Polynesia are about $150-$200 less than buying them in the USA

I'm not very technologically savvy, but theoretically if you can figure out how to VPN into an FP IP address from the US, you can buy it well in advance. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry too much about Air Tahiti flights selling out so just buy it when you get to FP

Offline AJK

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2015, 11:58:02 PM »
One huge money saver - Air Tahiti tickets bought in French Polynesia are about $150-$200 less than buying them in the USA

I'm not very technologically savvy, but theoretically if you can figure out how to VPN into an FP IP address from the US, you can buy it well in advance. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry too much about Air Tahiti flights selling out so just buy it when you get to FP

Great tip.

I'm sure many on here know how to spoof an FP IP :)
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline ML1219

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2015, 12:07:15 AM »
Great tip.

I'm sure many on here know how to spoof an FP IP :)

I wouldn't stress too much about it - the fares are static so you don't have to worry about them going up as you get closer to the date and the flights dont appear to be very crowded

When I bought my tickets, 1 flight out of 6 was sold out on the day i wanted to travel. And this was 2 days in advance during peak holiday season. My flight was < 50% full. Only thing you'll need is google translate because the website will be in French.

Offline smart brit

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2015, 12:12:38 AM »
LAN has a solid hard product and very abundant entertainment selection. I would say it's at least middle of the pack among flat bed business classes (and obviously superior to any non-flat bed ones). Kosher food was nasty, as you might imagine. It's not SQ or CX by any stretch of the imagination, but considering I paid 60K for 15000 miles in business class, I probably wouldn't have complained about anything superior to Air Koryo.... this was at least on par with airlines like UA and LX, and superior to LH and IB

Thanks for the TR
On a side note. Imo you can't put ua and lx in the same sentence.
I think most will agree

Offline ML1219

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2015, 12:18:36 AM »
Thanks for the TR
On a side note. Imo you can't put ua and lx in the same sentence.
I think most will agree

LX coach and first class are far superior to their UA counterparts.

Didn't think their was much difference in their respective business classes. The only things that really matter to me are the seat, the entertainment selection and decent wifi in the lounge. As a kosher traveler, I put far less stock into the in-flight and lounge food selection, which makes me view the 2 J's on a more equal level than I'm sure most passengers would

Offline smart brit

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2015, 12:38:18 AM »
LX coach and first class are far superior to their UA counterparts.

Didn't think their was much difference in their respective business classes. The only things that really matter to me are the seat, the entertainment selection and decent wifi in the lounge. As a kosher traveler, I put far less stock into the in-flight and lounge food selection, which makes me view the 2 J's on a more equal level than I'm sure most passengers would
I don't want to take your thread ot.
But just want to point out that on lx business you have a bunch of single seat's where in ua business there are none

Offline ML1219

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2015, 12:45:29 AM »
I don't want to take your thread ot.
But just want to point out that on lx business you have a bunch of single seat's where in ua business there are none

Fair enough - I always travel with my wife and thus single seats are of no relevance to me in a business class cabin. Just another area where my interests might not align with many travelers.

When I compared LAN's J to other airlines, I was strictly speaking in terms of seat width, seat comfort, bed length and bed comfort. In that regard, I didn't see any discernable difference between UA, LX and LAN

If single seats are important to you, then LX will not be a good comparison to LAN's 2x2x2 configuration on their 767
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 12:50:32 AM by ML1219 »

Offline smart brit

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2015, 01:00:24 AM »
Did you do all those destinations in one shot?
What spot needs the most time?
What time of the year did you travel?
Any issues being a jew? (scl has a huge Palestinian community)
To convince an agent that IPC Is in south Pacific, can only be with us airways ;).

Offline Drago

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2015, 01:45:02 AM »
Good stuff

Offline ML1219

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2015, 08:42:47 AM »
Did you do all those destinations in one shot?
What spot needs the most time?
What time of the year did you travel?
Any issues being a jew? (scl has a huge Palestinian community)
To convince an agent that IPC Is in south Pacific, can only be with us airways ;).

1) I would say probably the CUZ area should get no less than 5 (non Shabbas) days - around 1.5 in Cuzco, 2.5 in the rest of the Sacred Valley and 1 in Macchu Pichu. PPT no more than 1 day, MOZ and BOB really depend on how long you can sit around and "relax" for, because there's not a ton to do otherwise - in my case, the decision was made for me since the flight I took between IPC and PPT only goes once a week.

2) Christmas/New Years time (to pre-emptively answer the question about how I got IC Thalasso availability, the answer is I booked almost as far in advance as the calendar opened. Long before I booked the flights there. Assumed I would be flying through LAX on TN, but when the availability opened up via IPC....)

3) The only issues I had with being a Jew in SCL was getting my food through customs at the airport. Some was confiscated. Fortunately SCL has a decent enough kosher scene that I was able to replenish at. Customs at PPT was a non-issue, so if you're traveling there from LAX, load up the luggage with kosher food.

4) Gotta love US Airways agents. Booking 2 separate awards for the same vacation - one where IPC is part of South America, and one where it's part of the South Pacific.  ;D

Offline damaxer91

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2015, 09:29:56 AM »

Same for GA in Indonesia. Found it was a lot cheaper for domestic flight there. If you are staying in a chain hotel, ask them to book it locally for you and earn points as well