Author Topic: One password for everything  (Read 25074 times)

Offline yuneeq

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
Re: One password for everything
« Reply #120 on: June 13, 2021, 07:48:23 PM »
Been using lastpass for many years and currently on business plan, but looking for a replacement with better usability and easier sharing capabilities/permissions within my company. Any suggestions?
Visibly Jewish

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 14, 2021, 08:12:33 PM »
Been using lastpass for many years and currently on business plan, but looking for a replacement with better usability and easier sharing capabilities/permissions within my company. Any suggestions?

Shared company accounts is a problem that hasn’t been solved properly, there are multiple issues, amongst them:
- 2FA, especially if it’s to a phone number
- What to do when an employee leaves
- How to store the credentials in a way where someone can’t access just one file and get all of the company’s passwords, from banking to government websites to web services to sys admin passwords.
- How to manage access so an employee can easily find credentials they should have access to, but not get access to credentials they shouldn’t be allowed to access
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 14, 2021, 11:56:14 PM »
Shared company accounts is a problem that hasn’t been solved properly, there are multiple issues, amongst them:
- 2FA, especially if it’s to a phone number
- What to do when an employee leaves
- How to store the credentials in a way where someone can’t access just one file and get all of the company’s passwords, from banking to government websites to web services to sys admin passwords.
- How to manage access so an employee can easily find credentials they should have access to, but not get access to credentials they shouldn’t be allowed to access

Maybe I didn’t explain myself well. Currently I have LastPass accounts for each employee. All website accounts are setup under my email username, anyone that needs access, I create their own user account with limited access, or I share the password exclusively with them if I’m forced to.

I can also share access with them and hide the passwords, but on sites that aren’t able to be autofilled in they can’t copy paste which is a problem. I also created a shared folder of passwords that makes it easy to give someone access to a bunch of sites at once.

If an employee leaves I can delete their user accounts and were good. They create all their accounts using my company email address so I have access to that if necessary.

However, overall lastpass has been very glitchy and not fun  to use, the free version features worked a lot better than the paid version do right now.
Visibly Jewish

Offline Yo ssi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 15, 2021, 12:09:24 AM »
Perhaps use a key?
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/

Offline Square

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 15, 2021, 12:26:18 AM »
Maybe I didn’t explain myself well. Currently I have LastPass accounts for each employee. All website accounts are setup under my email username, anyone that needs access, I create their own user account with limited access, or I share the password exclusively with them if I’m forced to.

I can also share access with them and hide the passwords, but on sites that aren’t able to be autofilled in they can’t copy paste which is a problem. I also created a shared folder of passwords that makes it easy to give someone access to a bunch of sites at once.

If an employee leaves I can delete their user accounts and were good. They create all their accounts using my company email address so I have access to that if necessary.

However, overall lastpass has been very glitchy and not fun  to use, the free version features worked a lot better than the paid version do right now.
Bitwarden works for me, but only have a few accounts.

I like it that it's not bloated like the other password managers, I also tried zoho vault, which I liked.

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 15, 2021, 12:35:16 AM »
Perhaps use a key?

Please explain, not sure what you're referring to.

Bitwarden works for me, but only have a few accounts.

I like it that it's not bloated like the other password managers, I also tried zoho vault, which I liked.

Did you prefer one over the other? Assuming cost is not the issue.
Visibly Jewish

Offline Yo ssi

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 15, 2021, 12:38:47 AM »
Please explain, not sure what you're referring to.
Something like this
https://www.yubico.com/
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 15, 2021, 12:43:33 AM »
Something like this
https://www.yubico.com/

Appreciate the tip but won't work for us. Very inconvenient and only works with supported sites.
Visibly Jewish

Offline Yo ssi

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 15, 2021, 12:52:53 AM »
Appreciate the tip but won't work for us. Very inconvenient and only works with supported sites.
I don't actually use them but IINM they do work with all sites at least as a password manager. Definitely more inconvenient and therefore more secure.
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 15, 2021, 01:03:53 AM »
I don't actually use them but IINM they do work with all sites at least as a password manager. Definitely more inconvenient and therefore more secure.

After watching the video and reading the site it seems like it’s a replacement for 2fa, not a password manager. In fact one page showed the different sites and apps it works with including 1Password.
Visibly Jewish

Offline Yo ssi

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 15, 2021, 01:09:47 AM »
After watching the video and reading the site it seems like it’s a replacement for 2fa, not a password manager. In fact one page showed the different sites and apps it works with including 1Password.
That's very possible. There should be others that do, it's the most secure way to go.
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 15, 2021, 01:14:09 AM »
That's very possible. There should be others that do, it's the most secure way to go.

What do you personally use as a password manager?
Visibly Jewish

Offline Yo ssi

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 15, 2021, 01:16:05 AM »
What do you personally use as a password manager?
I actually use Google password manager for personal passwords, if I google goes I go down with them ;)
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/

Offline mevinyavin

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
    • Laptop help/deal request template
  • Programs: Windows 10 and 11 Home, Word/Excel/Publisher 2021, Wordweb, McGill English Dictionary of Rhyme, VLC, Torat Emet, 7-Zip, Lightshot, Calibre, FDM, FreeFileSync, Teracopy, Handbreak, Lightshot
« Reply #133 on: March 03, 2024, 05:37:43 AM »
Saw in Computeractive today: They advise using a pword manager to store nonsense passwords that are long (preferably generated) - and then add your own short phrase or pin to each one (which you store nowhere). You store the password in the vault but even if the vault gets hacked you won't be vulnerable. Interesting advice...
Quote from: ExGingi
Echo chambers are boring and don't contribute much to deeper thinking and understanding!

Offline Euclid

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 03, 2024, 07:47:24 AM »
Saw in Computeractive today: They advise using a pword manager to store nonsense passwords that are long (preferably generated) - and then add your own short phrase or pin to each one (which you store nowhere). You store the password in the vault but even if the vault gets hacked you won't be vulnerable. Interesting advice...
Salt like

Online HudZ

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Torah
« Reply #135 on: March 03, 2024, 08:14:02 AM »
I like that... My passwords are all very similar and saved in the Google manager.😬
אין עוד מלבדו

Offline Alexsei

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
    • Travel & Kivrei Zadikim
  • Programs: COVID-23
« Reply #136 on: March 03, 2024, 08:35:45 AM »
It's just annoying that the Password manager will ask every time if you want to update the password
Jews ≠ Zionists
Palestinians ≠ Hamas
Satmar ≠ SatmarHQ

Offline Moshe Green

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 03, 2024, 09:17:56 AM »
looks like this thread got bumped.

What i do for myself is i do not use a password manager but i have a set password for all sites. In order to personalize each one, i add something which only i know to the end of each password.

For example: The password will be, for example AbC123! for all sites, but then for, lets say gmail, I'll add 5 because gmail is 5 letters and m which is the second letter so it will be AbC123!5m.
Of course this doesn't work with 100% of sites because many sites require different letters or symbols. But if you have 1 uppercase letter and one symbol and one number you are usually fine for most sites. Also don't do consecutive letters or numbers or have the password the same as your email. Better to have at least 8 characters as well.

Online HudZ

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Torah
« Reply #138 on: March 03, 2024, 09:59:04 AM »
I should definitely do some password changing in the near future...
אין עוד מלבדו

Offline Yo ssi

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 03, 2024, 10:20:18 AM »
looks like this thread got bumped.

What i do for myself is i do not use a password manager but i have a set password for all sites. In order to personalize each one, i add something which only i know to the end of each password.

For example: The password will be, for example AbC123! for all sites, but then for, lets say gmail, I'll add 5 because gmail is 5 letters and m which is the second letter so it will be AbC123!5m.
Of course this doesn't work with 100% of sites because many sites require different letters or symbols. But if you have 1 uppercase letter and one symbol and one number you are usually fine for most sites. Also don't do consecutive letters or numbers or have the password the same as your email. Better to have at least 8 characters as well.
I like that... My passwords are all very similar and saved in the Google manager.😬
It is much preferable to have truly unique passwords saved in a password manager. While there is always the possibility of a password manager getting hacked, the chances of getting into your accounts is significantly higher.
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/