Author Topic: Getting To Japan Backward and Other Tall Tales from MP and Co.  (Read 32771 times)

Offline Marco Polo

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 104
    • View Profile
Re: Getting To Japan Backward and Other Tall Tales from MP and Co.
« Reply #80 on: January 13, 2015, 07:17:01 PM »
I come back every day to hear what you're up to!
Baby related question: Did you bring an umbrella stroller or your regular one? Any regrets?
I appreciate that.

We have a Mountain Buggy Nano. It folds up really small and is even TSA approved as a carry-on.
Quaerite et Invenietis.

Offline EnEl

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 13, 2015, 07:32:15 PM »
+1 very fun especially to read it live.

What a good way to describe it!

Offline ML1219

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 13, 2015, 11:44:06 PM »
PH staff is trained to recognize guests, greet by name, etc.

Considering you weren't staying there, what did you expect?

I'm shocked that anyone at the PH wouldn't provide over-the-top exemplary service regardless of whether he was staying there

Not because they're a PH, but because I didn't find a single person in all of Tokyo who doesn't

I almost felt bad how random strangers in Tokyo were bending over backwards to help me just because I asked them which direction something was in. One person walked me 10 minutes to the place I was looking for, for no other reason than because that's how people are there (this sounds creepy to someone who was never in Tokyo, but I assure you they were 100% genuine in their in motives)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #83 on: January 13, 2015, 11:46:33 PM »
All true, very friendly culture.  Had that as well as things were so hard to find (at least in the pre-GPS days when I was last there.

But for 5 star service they need to know what you look like, your name, etc.  Obviously that's only going to happen for guests.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline moish

• View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
« Reply #84 on: January 14, 2015, 06:00:33 AM »
which chabad rabbi's daughters provided babysitting? would they only babysit in the evening?

Offline Marco Polo

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 14, 2015, 07:50:24 AM »
which chabad rabbi's daughters provided babysitting? would they only babysit in the evening?
The "real" one.

Not sure on times, we asked for when we were looking to go out, but seems like it is possible to work something out with them.
Quaerite et Invenietis.

Offline Marco Polo

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 14, 2015, 07:51:46 AM »
Part Six:

Today was to be our last full day in Japan. Initially we had grand plans of taking the train to Kyoto for the day, but after our ridiculously long trip to Hakone, we decided it would wait for another time. Circling back to something I had read and was told about, we decided Disneyland Tokyo Sea would be our trip. Tokyo has a “regular” Disneyland, which is a carbon copy of the ones in Florida and California. This Disneyland Sea was to be something completely different than anything else. To get there from the hotel was a surprisingly easy two-train journey with a bit of a walk to connect between the trains. Total travel time from door to stepping into the Disney area was around 50 minutes.

From the moment you step off the train, you can already hear that classic Disney theme park music. The kind of music that is meant to lull you into spending a fortune in the gift shops and leave home with nothing. We made our way over to information for directions and to get a park map. To get to the park there is one real option they try to give you, which is taking the Disney tram to get to the park entrances. The “hack” way is to just walk for 10-15 minutes (the guides said it would be 25-30 minutes, so go figure). We walked our way trough lots of shops, cafes and hotel entrances before we reached the main road leading us right to the park entrance. Around five minutes later we were waiting in line (a very short one) to purchase our tickets. The standard adult price was 6,400 yen and student was 5,800 yen. This is around half price of what it would cost to see one of the parks in the States. We heard from one of the hotel staff before leaving that the prior day was the inaugural day for the Frozen characters at the regular Disneyland. This meant that Disneyland Sea would be a lot less crowded, which worked out nicely for us.

The main entrance had a giant globe spinning on water, which was most likely a rip off of the Universal Studios globe idea.  From there we proceeded into “Venice” on our way to “NYC”. Every area within the park like all Disney parks had the park attendants in area themed garb. Our first stop was to see the show Big Band Beat about jazz music from the 20’s to the 40’s. I do not recall how long the show ran for, I do confess to taking a nap in middle and I do remember that half the cast were non-Japanese and actually appeared to be American. The show was sung in English, which was very nice for us, but must have been confusing for the rest of audience. As we were leaving the show, we saw rows of people camped out for the next show which was starting around two hours later. It looked like the day before a new Apple product came out with the rows of people waiting for the show. There must have been real thought into this as some people had mini travel chairs and umbrellas to make it more comfortable. I don’t get it.

We proceeded to walk from there to the next location, which was Toy Story themed. The wait time for the ride in that area was 80 minutes too long and we were not going to subject our child to that wait time (I wouldn’t have waited if it was myself and had no kid either). We followed the path around past some version of the Hotel of Horror with what seemed like a tall drop and a long wait time. We then arrived at the S.S. Colombia, which was a Finding Nemo themed area and a “ride” about some device that could make speaking with fish accessible. There was a little pre-ride video and instruction session (I think, as from here on out, it was all Japanese to me) where the guide was leading the crowd and prompting them to shout at some point. Again we had no idea, just saw the whole audience scream and raise their hands at random intervals (I can never can imagine this going over in the States). We then went into the show, which had Crush the turtle interact with people in the audience. It must have been fun as everyone was laughing the whole time, though they all could have been laughing at us and we had no idea. Luckily it wasn’t a long showing and we were out and on down the path pretty quickly.

As we were with a child, we were severely limited in what rides we could actually go on, but we did pass some cool looking rides and areas. You can probably Google the park information it to see more details if you are so inclined. The rides we did go on were a magic carpet ride, carousel and a Sinbad version of “It’s a Small World”. My kid enjoyed every ride, just wish he was a bit older to enjoy some of the others. We then went to see another show (in Japanese) about earth, fire and water which had acrobatics and some very odd dancing (?) in it as well. Was nice to sit down after all the walking and rest a bit.
    [Side comment: When in a foreign country, there is some kind of mostly unspoken code amongst Westerners. For example, when I was in the subway and passed a very clearly looking Westerner, we briefly made eye contact as he walked by and we gave each other a little head nod. Quickly acknowledging that, “Hey, we are on the other side of the world and completely outnumbered here. Nice to actually see one of my kind.”]
    Anyways, as we were leaving the show, we saw another set of Westerners who had been sitting right behind us. Turns out we live less than 20 minutes away from one another (It’s a small world after all, it’s a small world…).

We passed through some areas that had long lines of people waiting to take pictures. It seemed like someone saw a nice picture opportunity and it caught on. Being the nicest and most courteous people ever, they just formed a line so they can all take turns. There were other long lines for photo opportunities with characters and most of the people waiting were adults. These people love them some Disney characters. Just about every singe person had on at least one piece of Disney paraphernalia and most were covered head to toe in it.

The Mermaid Lagoon was perhaps the most visually interesting place in the park and had lots of kid friendly rides inside it (found out too late and my kid was sleeping so missed out on it).  We did stroll though it taking pictures and sat for a family “portrait” done by some guy cutting it out of paper (very cool and never seen it before). At this point we were done for the day and headed back to the hotel.

We went up to the Executive Lounge were we had a few drinks and hung out with Ari from the hotel. He happily played with my son for twenty minutes straight, indulging my kids every childish wish. Turns out Ari is from Malaysia and was an FA in J/F for SQ. Ari was one of highlights of this trip as he along with all the staff were truly here to make our stay the best possible. (My wife left her phone charging in the lobby before we left for the day. We found this out as we were taking the escalator to the train and an employee was running after us with her phone (Mind you the lobby is on the 28th floor).

As we are packing up and getting ready for Hong Kong tomorrow, I figured I would leave today’s post with some random comments on things I have noticed while here in Japan.

•   Like in all of Asia we have seen so far, they love babies/children.
•   When walking in the subway station, stay to the left.
•   When boarding the subway, they let the passengers off before boarding.
•   They have lots of stores we have in the US.
•   They love cartoon/anime.
•   People still wear traditional robes.
•   TV advertising needs to up it’s game.

There are many more which escape my mind currently, but I will try and add them later on.  Another early start tomorrow, hopefully I will finally get the missing car seat at the airport and excited to experience CX F for the first time.
Quaerite et Invenietis.

Offline 3yummyboys

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 14, 2015, 09:41:13 AM »
Part Six:

•   Like in all of Asia we have seen so far, they love babies/children.
•   When walking in the subway station, stay to the left.
•   When boarding the subway, they let the passengers off before boarding.
•   They have lots of stores we have in the US.
•   They love cartoon/anime.
•   People still wear traditional robes.
•   TV advertising needs to up it’s game.

Coming from NY I have no idea what that means! I took the subway with my son recently and we almost missed our stop bc. we couldn't get off!

Offline Emkay

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 14, 2015, 09:46:25 AM »
hopefully I will finally get the missing car seat at the airport and excited to experience CX F for the first time.
they didnt send it to you the next day?

Offline Emkay

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 14, 2015, 09:49:23 AM »
the Robot Restaurant show. This show is unlike anything I have ever seen, ever will see and still can’t believe I saw. I am not even sure how to put it in words it was that bizarre. The show may not be for most people as there are a lot of women in the show who are not fully clothed, very loud crazy music and stuff that may give you (hopefully not me) nightmares. Aside from all that, it was a crazy experience, very cool and we really enjoyed whatever it is that we did see.  Maybe some of the pictures can shed some light on what it is, or you can probably Google/YouTube it and see for yourselves.
i just googled it,all i can say is WTF????

Offline EnEl

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 14, 2015, 10:48:15 AM »

Key word in MP's sentence is "missing". I highly doubt the airline has it, and are keeping it from MP and Co for fun ;)

Offline Marco Polo

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 14, 2015, 10:54:01 AM »
That was the original plan. The other bag made it the next day, this never did.

They told me on Tuesday I can buy a new one. Yesterday they called they found it. I guess I will find out at the airport.
Quaerite et Invenietis.

Offline Marco Polo

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 14, 2015, 10:54:32 AM »
i just googled it,all i can say is WTF????
Agreed. That probably doesn't even do it justice.
Quaerite et Invenietis.

Offline EnEl

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 14, 2015, 11:13:20 AM »
That was the original plan. The other bag made it the next day, this never did.

They told me on Tuesday I can buy a new one. Yesterday they called they found it. I guess I will find out at the airport.

Tell them you already purchased a new one. Free car seat! :D

Offline mochada

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 14, 2015, 03:41:58 PM »
Agreed. That probably doesn't even do it justice.

What about your actual luggage with clothes?

Offline Marco Polo

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 14, 2015, 05:08:02 PM »
What about your actual luggage with clothes?
That came the day after.
Quaerite et Invenietis.

Offline Yehoshua

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 14, 2015, 08:59:42 PM »
Wow, what a great TR! Looking forward to the rest.

Offline jaywhy

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 14, 2015, 09:20:20 PM »
Great TR.
Enjoy CX F 747 ;)

Offline Marco Polo

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 15, 2015, 04:05:02 AM »
Great TR.
Enjoy CX F 747 ;)
It was great. Only a couple other pax, so had lots of space.
Quaerite et Invenietis.

Offline AharonInIsrael

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 15, 2015, 04:25:55 AM »
Thanks for the awesome live-blogged TR!
Looking forward to seeing the pics