Author Topic: No Adjacent Seats Available On AA  (Read 2476 times)

Offline Shmelly

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
No Adjacent Seats Available On AA
« on: January 18, 2015, 09:39:44 PM »
I selected seats for LGA-MIA and MIA-LGA via AA a few months ago for myself, my wife, and our 4 year old (plus a lap child of 20 months). Looking at aa.com now, I see that there aren't any seats assigned to us for either flight. My guess is this is because the flight times changed slightly since the time of booking, so all seat assignments must've had to have been rebooked. Problem now is that there are only ~10 seats now available on both flights, and they're all middle seats scattered throughout the plane. Would AA be able to figure something out for us? I can't expect them to produce 3 adjacent seats, but they wouldn't allow a 4 year old to sit by himself for a 3 hour flight, right?
You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. - Dr. Seuss

Offline MeirS

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
Re: No Adjacent Seats Available On AA
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2015, 09:49:11 PM »
I selected seats for LGA-MIA and MIA-LGA via AA a few months ago for myself, my wife, and our 4 year old (plus a lap child of 20 months). Looking at aa.com now, I see that there aren't any seats assigned to us for either flight. My guess is this is because the flight times changed slightly since the time of booking, so all seat assignments must've had to have been rebooked. Problem now is that there are only ~10 seats now available on both flights, and they're all middle seats scattered throughout the plane. Would AA be able to figure something out for us? I can't expect them to produce 3 adjacent seats, but they wouldn't allow a 4 year old to sit by himself for a 3 hour flight, right?
It seems to me that there are a lot of seats that are blocked out from online selection which can be accessed by a check in or gate agent.

Offline Hershelsdeals

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2015, 09:57:51 PM »
It seems to me that there are a lot of seats that are blocked out from online selection which can be accessed by a check in or gate agent.
An AA agent told me 20% of seats are blocked and open up for check in.

Offline Yordai Dooma

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA EXP/LT Platinum, SPG gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National EE,
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2015, 10:11:18 PM »
Many seats are blocked for those with status or full fares.
At checkin or at the gate they will move people around to allow at least one of you to be next to your child.
I usually tell them that id be thrilled if they put my kid(s) with some others...and that ill even buy a few drinks.
id suggest arriving a little earlier than usual at the airport

Offline A3

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2015, 10:31:59 PM »
Tweet American airlines.
If it's available they will even give you the premier seats that normally cost more.
I've done it many times, they always assigned us seats together.

Offline Shmelly

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2015, 10:50:01 PM »
Thanks for the assurances and suggestions. For now I tweeted at them and will report back if anything happens.
You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. - Dr. Seuss

Offline Shmelly

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2015, 11:32:16 PM »
They responded within 2 minutes of my tweet (late on a Sunday night no less) and said they'd check availability and get us taken care of. Then they came back and said there's no availability but they're sure a gate agent will help us. Guess I'll have to wait until then.

Offline Yordai Dooma

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA EXP/LT Platinum, SPG gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National EE,
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2015, 12:49:44 AM »
They responded within 2 minutes of my tweet (late on a Sunday night no less) and said they'd check availability and get us taken care of. Then they came back and said there's no availability but they're sure a gate agent will help us. Guess I'll have to wait until then.
You will be fine. Just don't get there late

Offline Shmelly

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2015, 12:29:11 PM »
You will be fine. Just don't get there late
Flights are at 9:30AM and 6AM, so getting there early is going to suck.