Author Topic: 5 day Kauai/Maui Trip Report with 4 month old and maneuvering tznius issues  (Read 12633 times)

Offline 12HRS

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
And I didn't do Segways in Paris. We both might have been a truly awesome activity, but we didn't miss the reason you go to the place or what the place is famous for.

I'm not saying a trip to Switzerland is worthless if you don't go to the Alps or that Hawaii just for hiking is a waste, but how does one plan a trip to a place and not do the main attraction? You don't go to Orlando and go on the London Eye and go to that little water park. You go for Disney/Universal/Sea World.

Weren't you the one who went to orlando and didn't do disney :P?

Offline doodle

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Why is  everyone critical of the OP? He did what he thought correct and reported back to help others. Let's not make this a popcorn thread
  +100 the guy is a real man, lives with principles . full respect .   
p.s. check us out, down by the  Yam Hamelech
Salt Is Good

Offline ganizzy

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Thanks for the trip report. We went to Oahu on the way to Australia and limited it to 2 days for the same reason. Wasnt sure how much we would be able to do.
Ended up working out great.  We didn't spend time in Honolulu but found plenty empty beaches on the rest of the island

Offline JoeCha

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Avis President's Club, Expedia+ Silver
+1

Wow. Not that it means much, but throughout your TR, I could not help but be impressed with your self-control and high standards.

Truly remarkable. Hashem should bless you!
+1
Impressive report and impressive character.

Thank you for sharing.
"There is no such thing as bad whiskey. Some whiskeys just happen to be better than others" ― William Faulkner

Online skyguy918

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Just want to chime in with my experience in Hawaii, specifically relative to tznius and the discussion on what to see/do when you visit a particular place.

I went to Maui for a few days (4 nights) last August. I'm not a huge beach person (or even pool/swimming in general) in the first place, and though my wife very much is, she's less so when it involves an Aqua Modesto, swimming cap, swimming in a skirt, etc. As a result, we didn't really make it a focus in our itinerary. We used the hotel (Fairmont Kea Lani) pools and beach several times, and since I'm pretty nearsighted, I just left my glasses in my room. Would I say I have absolutely no qualms about having done that (or doing it again in the future in Hawaii or elsewhere)? No, definitely not. But I did have some level of comfort that I was taking steps to at least reduce my exposure.

The activities we had planned were RTH, Haleakala sunrise and hiking, and possibly some snorkeling. We tried out snorkeling gear at the hotel, and neither of us were particularly comfortable with it, so we ended up forgoing the snorkeling and doing a hike in Iao Valley State Park. The last (half) day we went back to HNL and did Pearl Harbor. RTH ended up having the most tznius challenges of the bunch, but I pretty much followed the same protocol of taking off my glass when I thought it necessary.

As far going to Hawaii and not hanging out at the beach, snorkeling, etc., having made the trip I would say that if somehow all of the beaches and snorkeling spots were permanently closed and inaccessible, I still would want to go and visit the places I visited. Can you see the type of nature and hiking sights I did elsewhere? Probably something similar, but not the same. I'd argue that there are more places in the world with gorgeous beaches and snorkeling (even if they're not quite as good as Hawaii). It's all a matter of what you want out of your trip. Not having beaches and snorkeling on your activities list shouldn't preclude you from wanting to go to Hawaii.

Offline Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 41
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
since I'm pretty nearsighted, I just left my glasses in my room. W

I had a friend in Yeshiva who used to not wear his glasses on the street. He would bump into women all the time ;D.
Check out my site for epic kosher adventures: Kosher Horizons

Offline @Yehuda

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
I had a friend in Yeshiva who used to not wear his glasses on the street. He would bump into women all the time ;D.
ALOL

Online skyguy918

• View Profile
The beach wasn't empty, but it certainly wasn't that crowded :D

Offline 3yummyboys

• View Profile
Isn't the main appeal of Hawaii for frum travelers that you can find empty beaches with a little effort?

Online skyguy918

• View Profile
Isn't the main appeal of Hawaii for frum travelers that you can find empty beaches with a little effort?
No need to generalize. I'm sure there are many (maybe even most) for whom that's true, but it wasn't for me.

ETA: I wouldn't have had to go so far for that anyway. The last time I went to Miami I found a completely deserted beach and spent a few hours there.

Offline 3yummyboys

• View Profile
I stand corrected