Author Topic: 5 day Kauai/Maui Trip Report with 4 month old and maneuvering tznius issues  (Read 26302 times)

Offline VacationLover

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Nice TR. I really admire you! Kudos!!

Offline solls108

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
To each their own. Sounds like you had a good time.

Offline sam28

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
thanks for taking u time . its very good and nice trip R

Offline ilherman

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
OP, thanks for taking your time and thanks for addressing the Tznius issue.

Now I can finally start planing a trip to Kauai  :)

It does not require a lot to keep the standards that the OP kept. Of course it would of been much easier to be able to hang out at the pool/beache whenever I want. But it would be cool as well not to have to shlep food and just go down to the local restaurant. That being said, of course Kashret is probably more important than Tznius issues but swimming together with ladies wearing bathing suites is Assur. Im not looking to offend anyone and if someone thinks that when he is taking a vacation he is allowed to enjoy him self I do respect his opinion... But  I just wanna explain the OP and others who wanna go to Hawaii and still stay Kosher that they have a strong reason to keep their standards.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 01:34:08 AM by ilherman »
You can say what you think when you think what you say.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Of course you can have a great time without dipping your toe in the sand or water, but there's no excuse for not finding a private beach on any Hawaiian island at any time of the day.

Just my .02
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline ilherman

• View Profile
Of course you can have a great time without dipping your toe in the sand or water, but there's no excuse for not finding a private beach on any Hawaiian island at any time of the day.

Just my .02
Exactly. That's what I'm trying to figure out and thanks Joe4007 for the suggestion. And IIRC Hawaii is the place where you can find completely private beaches.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Exactly. That's what I'm trying to figure out and thanks Joe4007 for the suggestion. And IIRC Hawaii is the place where you can find completely private beaches.
I'm sure you can find private beaches in the Caribbean as well.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline ilherman

• View Profile
I remember in LAX on the way from LA to Tierra Sur we had such a hard time to find a private beach. It really takes away a lot of the vacation if you're not prepared before hand about all the Kashret/Tznus issues. Lesson learned.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
You thought in a city of 4MM++ that you would just happen upon a private beach?

Offline ilherman

• View Profile
You thought in a city of 4MM++ that you would just happen upon a private beach?
Exactly. I thought that somewhere throughout the shore I'll find something. Call me a n00b  ;)

Offline AharonInIsrael

• View Profile
+1

Wow. Not that it means much, but throughout your TR, I could not help but be impressed with your self-control and high standards.

Truly remarkable. Hashem should bless you!
+2
Thanks for being informative but also sensitive to others!
It's clear you put a lot of time into phrasing things sensitively

Offline efflpetzel

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile

Honestly, I think this is quite calm. And everyone is calling out Dav more than the OP.
exactly, it seems like people are looking to jump on the first person that doesn't agree with the OP

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
exactly, it seems like people are looking to jump on the first person that doesn't agree with the OP
Nope. People are looking to jump on the first person to criticize and judge the OP. No one is saying that everyone has to do what he does. But no one should say he can't or shouldn't do what he does
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 11:02:51 AM by Ergel »
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
Lotta that judging going on 'round here.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline DMYD

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
+1 there is no reason to go if your going to act like that, no one is forcing someone to go to Hawaii.
My gosh I know it looks like I meant the OP but I was speaking in general, Yes it was very well written, but people who plan on removing  there glasses or will look down on the floor every time there is a person that is not dressed modest enough for him shouldn't go to those places in the first place! didn't mean anyone personal.   

Offline kivabb

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile

Just my .02

We put our feet in the water. But it was at the GHK before 10 AM or sunset time. We easily could have done the pools there same time but my wife didn't bring her aqua gear. Polihole we had gone for sunset in the past but from the looks of it could have been done mid-day as well. Road to Hana had many places to dip our feet. Not too much sand, but beautiful scenery. We spent a long time watching the waves smashing the lava rock in what seemed endless beaches to ourselves even during mid-day.

Just want to stress that we had an awesome time and I didn't spend most of the time with my head in the sand (although a lot of time in the Andaz while outside). Just sharing my experience because with a little tweaking, homework and creativity.....it could have been even better.

Online Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 44
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
Very interesting trip report. Even tough you didn't see or do most of the things others do you still managed to have an amazing time. Kudos for that and standing up to that level.

If you think about it, what you basically did was take nice drives, see beautiful scenery, and go some great hikes. Most people looking to do that would go somewhere like Colorado or the Southwest. I would think that to schlep to Hawaii for that would be a waste, but if you were happy with that descision, who am I to judge 8)?

That being said, with enough research one could do all the typical Hawaiian activities such as swimming and snorkeling while still maintaining that level of tznius. As Dan mentioned, there are plenty of private beaches to be found throughout the islands; there are also many vacation rentals with private pools. Of course with a baby in tow some of those may not be practical, but there are still options.

ETA: Just saw your last post. Looks like we're on the same page ;D.
Check out my site for epic kosher adventures: Kosher Horizons

Offline kivabb

• View Profile

If you think about it, what you basically did was take nice drives, see beautiful scenery, and go some great hikes. Most people looking to do that would go somewhere like Colorado or the Southwest. I would think that to schlep to Hawaii for that would be a waste, but if you were happy with that descision, who am I to judge 8)?

We did Colorado, Grand Canyon, Hiked down Supai, Canadian Rockies, Zion, Bryce, Yosemite, Yellowstone, Glacier, Tetons. But I do agree if it's someones 1 time shot who loves nature then he could easily be satisfied with any of the above.

For me, sitting on a plane with no cell phone reception and being able to have a conversation uninterrupted with my wife is also part of the getaway (remember that I have 8 and the house gets quiet at 11:30 PM when I'm practically sleeping) . Anyways we need to fly 5-6 ours to west coast, so 5 more hours to see something spectacular was worth it for us.

Offline chuchem

• View Profile
I really value you keeping to znius, that we all should. Halevai I will be on that level 1 day

But can I ask you: every time you walk to the pool area or other areas like waterfalls you are putting yourself in a place we're you are likely to see undressed women. So if you keep to haloches, what's your justification for this?

as you said yourself, you had to look a way a lot, but that means you saw something that made you look away

I know on today's streets you also see things, so one can't be totally "obgehiten" but for a guy that wants to keep to hilches znius, what's your heter to go to a "mokom sakone" of znius

Offline HolyNyc

• View Profile
I really value you keeping to znius, that we all should. Halevai I will be on that level 1 day

But can I ask you: every time you walk to the pool area or other areas like waterfalls you are putting yourself in a place we're you are likely to see undressed women. So if you keep to haloches, what's your justification for this?

as you said yourself, you had to look a way a lot, but that means you saw something that made you look away

I know on today's streets you also see things, so one can't be totally "obgehiten" but for a guy that wants to keep to hilches znius, what's your heter to go to a "mokom sakone" of znius
the world is not black or white