Topic Wiki

How to get lifetime ban (please write in comments how you got banned and i will add to wiki):
Using the same coupon code on a few separate orders. (I dont know exact know exact number that will get you banned - my total was 98 orders)

How the ban works: According to the rep, if they think any orders were placed for you, they will cancel it.
That includes: your name, address, IP address, email, phone number.

Here are steps attempted to workaround this ban:

Changed billing name and shipping name, but left address the same. Checked out as guest. Seems that my customer number got added to this. - cancelled

Update:
Placed new order under new customer number (created new online profile with my wife`s name), different bill and ship name. Ship address the same - Staples has a really odd system. Even though the orders have my new staples customer number, when i go to my wifes online profile and browse through the orders, it shows me orders that I placed with my old customer number.I placed total of 53 orders. 38/53 were shipped and billed. 15 were cancelled straight off the bat. Seems to me that they may be doing cancellations manually and missed a few orders. Will still try to isolate the solution. I compared orders side by side and have not been able to find a common denominator...

Update 2/15:
Looks like staples caught on and after shipping me the gift cards, cancelled all the transactions with giftcardmall (their provider). They told me that a refund will show on my credit card statement.

Update 5/1:
Looks like some others have gotten banned: http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=51610.new#new
« Last edited by JACKSASSONBK on May 03, 2015, 09:48:31 AM »

Author Topic: Staples lifetime ban  (Read 19009 times)

Offline DMYD

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Staples lifetime ban
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2015, 06:22:44 PM »
In my case I abused a coupon on iPads and made a bunch of returns.
Wow what did you try to do to get yourself unbanned?

Offline Oceanblue

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2015, 06:29:41 PM »
So why doesn't he call and ask there is no risk involved

He did:
thats what i am trying to figure out. the rep was very cold and would not give me any additional information.

Offline avromie7

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2015, 06:30:26 PM »
He did:
Whoops I missed that but HUCA
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline Super Speed

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis First, National Executive Elite, Sixt Platinum.
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2015, 06:44:04 PM »
Wow what did you try to do to get yourself unbanned?
I called but when they looked into my account they said every order I made they lost money on. I only bought deals good for resale so obviously...

Offline shtank

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2015, 07:27:31 PM »
probably staples deemed it to risky to deal with... just my .02
Not sure how that disqualifies a person from doing business with a public company.
To the OP, if, in fact, you did nothing ethically wrong (and it sounds like that is the case), call back and threaten to go to the AG and BBB if they don't at least elaborate.

Offline AnonymousUser

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2015, 08:04:45 PM »

Not sure how that disqualifies a person from doing business with a public company.
To the OP, if, in fact, you did nothing ethically wrong (and it sounds like that is the case), call back and threaten to go to the AG and BBB if they don't at least elaborate.
No business has to do business with you. They are fully within their rights to say they don't want to deal with you, and they don't owe you any explanation.

Offline shtank

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2015, 08:13:38 PM »
No business has to do business with you. They are fully within their rights to say they don't want to deal with you, and they don't owe you any explanation.
In principle, I actually agree with you, but, unfortunately, there are other factors that come into play (discrimination, etc). If he violated some sort of terms of business, of course, they have the right to terminate doing business with him. But even a small company has certain legal and ethical obligations to do business in good faith with the entire public. Refusing to do business does usually require an explanation of some sort. That's why a family owned bakery out in Arizona can be sued for not baking a cake for a gay wedding.
Besides for the legal verdict, there is also the possibility of being investigated by the AG that the company shouldn't want to deal with even if they are technically right.
Finally, there's the PR part of this. I don't think they want people finding out that they refuse to do business with someone because that person legitimately used a credit card offer as a reason to buy gift cards at Staples.
Again, in principle, I agree that a company or business should be allowed to decide what and with whom it wants to do business. I am against anyone being able to sue or complain because they are being discriminated against by being refused business. But that's not how the world seems to be working.

Offline bigbadmoish

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2015, 08:20:04 PM »
If they didn't sell him stuff bec he was gay or black or any other protected group then you're right. Doesn't seem to be the case here. These companies have a full time team that they pay many dollars a year to deal with this stuff. Don't see them backing down with a bbb threat.

Offline avromie7

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2015, 08:21:37 PM »
If they didn't sell him stuff bec he was gay or black or any other protected group then you're right. Doesn't seem to be the case here. These companies have a full time team that they pay many dollars a year to deal with this stuff. Don't see them backing down with a bbb threat.
If they don't back down contact the BBB
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline Achas Veachas

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2015, 08:28:46 PM »
If they didn't sell him stuff bec he was gay or black or any other protected group then you're right. Doesn't seem to be the case here...
I think it's about time we declared DDF a protected group. Anyone discriminating against us can be branded an Anti-DDFite... :P

Offline shtank

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2015, 08:37:32 PM »
Not sure about this. Remember that rabbi who was booted from the point system a little while ago? I think the reason the courts decided against him at the end was because the credit card company had in their terms that they had the right to do what they wanted with his points and that his remaining in the program was at their discretion. There was no protected group issue in the case and yet, they had to rely on their terms of use to win the case.

Offline bigbadmoish

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2015, 10:15:27 PM »
I think it's about time we declared DDF a protected group. Anyone discriminating against us can be branded an Anti-DDFite... :P
just tell me where to sign

Offline bigbadmoish

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2015, 10:18:23 PM »
Not sure about this. Remember that rabbi who was booted from the point system a little while ago? I think the reason the courts decided against him at the end was because the credit card company had in their terms that they had the right to do what they wanted with his points and that his remaining in the program was at their discretion. There was no protected group issue in the case and yet, they had to rely on their terms of use to win the case.
not a lawyer but im pretty sure any store has a right to indiscriminately refuse goods or services from anyone they choose to. i dont know the specifics of the rabbi points case but a clear nafka mina would be that they wanted to (and did) take away his points. for that they needed t&c to say that they have the right to do that

Offline JACKSASSONBK

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
    • A simplified wholesale platform
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2015, 11:39:31 PM »
not a lawyer but im pretty sure any store has a right to indiscriminately refuse goods or services from anyone they choose to. i dont know the specifics of the rabbi points case but a clear nafka mina would be that they wanted to (and did) take away his points. for that they needed t&c to say that they have the right to do that

the real question i have is what can they do to stop me from ordering online again?
Palletfly.com | JSCORealty.com
Remember who's in charge - G-D

Offline yuneeq

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2015, 11:51:41 PM »
the real question i have is what can they do to stop me from ordering online again?

Maybe they could call your mommy?
Visibly Jewish

Offline bigbadmoish

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2015, 11:56:32 PM »
try and see what happens... change as much info as possible. no way they can take legal action against you, most they could do is cancel your order if they figure out it was you. keep us posted.

Offline mek

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2015, 12:03:05 AM »
try and see what happens... change as much info as possible. no way they can take legal action against you, most they could do is cancel your order if they figure out it was you. keep us posted.

Maybe try adding an apartment # or floor 1 or basement level in the second address line obviously changing your name as well

Offline HolyNyc

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2015, 03:00:24 AM »
Sorry but did chase have to explain someone why they A"A him,
Will they back down on a bbb threat, NO & NO they have the full right not to do business with anyone
And I believe the OP would rather not go to the authorities with this for his own safety ...
/rant
(Disclosure I earned a lot of $ through staples & chase) :P

Offline rivki19

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2015, 09:11:07 AM »
i was going to start ordering about 9 a day for 8 days in a row monthly, am i better to go into the store?
such a pain to go into store but i dont want to be banned...

any codes working that anyone knows about currently?

Offline lunatic

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2015, 09:16:14 AM »
i was going to start ordering about 9 a day for 8 days in a row monthly, am i better to go into the store?
such a pain to go into store but i dont want to be banned...

any codes working that anyone knows about currently?

Keep in mind that there is a annual cap on the ink