Author Topic: Fantasy Books  (Read 1146 times)

Offline noturbizniss

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
Fantasy Books
« on: January 23, 2015, 10:28:25 AM »
In the last couple of years I have started devouring fantasy books and thought it'd be fun to have a board to chat about with other like mind readers.
It started when I reread the wheel of time a couple years ago right when Brandon Sanderson finished it off. I had read everything till AMOL back in like 2010 or 2011 and I remembered loving his writing style so much more than the great Robert Jordan. I reread from the beginning and plowed through the books in about 6 months.
I have since then read all of Brandon Sanderson's adult and Young adult works (cosmere anyone?).  For the record Steelheart was the BEST YA novel I have read. It blows hunger games, maze runner, etc. out of the water and should be made into a movie immediately.  Now I'm reading the Lightbringer series by Brent Weeks. Once I finish this I will move on to Terry Brooks' The Sword of Truth.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 10:34:33 AM by noturbizniss »
READ THE DARN WIKI!!!!

Chuck Norris...
...can still do FT method
...READS THE WIKI!!!

Online sguitarist18

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
Re: Fantasy Books
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 08:16:13 PM »
I'm going to have to check out more of Sanderson's stuff - I definitely agree with you on Sanderson vs. Jordan, though I haven't had the patience to go back and re-read the first 10k pages. Maybe I'll get there.

Terry Brooks is one of the worst authors I've ever read. A friend of mine tried to convince that his "Shanarra" series got better after the first 10 books or so, but try as i might, I couldn't get past 3 or 4. Truly awful.

George R. R. Martin is phenomenal, obviously, starting with "a song of ice and fire," but in case you haven't heard, there's quite a bit of sexual content.

I'm a huge fan of L. E. Modesitt, Jr, he writes both fantasy and Sci-Fi.

Also, whether you loved or hated Harry Potter, there's a fanfic version that (IMHO) is a million times better, and it's free - Google "HPMOR" (Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality). Seriously. Better characters, plot, and dialogue.

Offline kangarruu

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2015, 09:19:55 PM »
I'm going to have to check out more of Sanderson's stuff - I definitely agree with you on Sanderson vs. Jordan, though I haven't had the patience to go back and re-read the first 10k pages. Maybe I'll get there.

Terry Brooks is one of the worst authors I've ever read. A friend of mine tried to convince that his "Shanarra" series got better after the first 10 books or so, but try as i might, I couldn't get past 3 or 4. Truly awful.

George R. R. Martin is phenomenal, obviously, starting with "a song of ice and fire," but in case you haven't heard, there's quite a bit of sexual content.

I'm a huge fan of L. E. Modesitt, Jr, he writes both fantasy and Sci-Fi.

Also, whether you loved or hated Harry Potter, there's a fanfic version that (IMHO) is a million times better, and it's free - Google "HPMOR" (Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality). Seriously. Better characters, plot, and dialogue.

+1 to HPMOR. It's excellent, if a little preachy. It's also a great springboard to other rationalist fiction. I'm particularly fond of the stories on QNTM.org, which are just about all great (and some are novel-length).

For the superhero lovers, Worm is incredibly dark and really well-written.

Offline noturbizniss

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2015, 02:33:17 PM »
Whoops... Meant terry goodkind not Brooks. Once I finish those I'll add hpmor to my list. What is rationalist fiction?
READ THE DARN WIKI!!!!

Chuck Norris...
...can still do FT method
...READS THE WIKI!!!

Online sguitarist18

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2015, 09:04:53 AM »
I think rationalist fiction is a story in which the protagonist approaches the world, and the issues being dealt with, in a logical, rational way. His rational thought processes are also revealed.