Author Topic: NYC-Italy: Avios or cash? And which airline?  (Read 866 times)

Offline DoB

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
NYC-Italy: Avios or cash? And which airline?
« on: January 27, 2015, 11:34:25 PM »
I'm planning a trip from NYC to Italy. I can get to Milan or Florence via Dusseldorf or Berlin for 49,000 Avios (i.e., 35,000 MR points if transferred by the end of the week) plus $163 (or perhaps a few dollars less) on Air Berlin, or I can get to Milan nonstop for $632.30 on United or for $658.30 on Delta, Alitalia, or Emirates. (All prices round trip in economy.) So spending 49,000 Avios would save me $469.30 if I fly United or $495.30 if I fly one of the others.

Am I correct that, at these prices, the AB flight is no bargain at all, assuming Florence isn't considerably more convenient than Milan (it probably is not)?

So which airline do I pick? From what I've read (I haven't flown any of them myself aside from United, which didn't impress), I'm leaning toward Emirates. Thoughts? How do the KSML's compare?

If I use my Amex PRG to pay one of the non-U.S.-based airlines, will I be hit with the 2.7% foreign transaction fee? I wouldn't mind picking up 1975 MR points, but it's probably not worth paying $17.77 in fees to get that. (I could alternatively use the Barclaycard Arrival+, netting me $14.48 with no risk of a fee.)

Pardon the potentially obvious questions; I'm new to this stuff. Thanks.

Offline AharonInIsrael

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
Re: NYC-Italy: Avios or cash? And which airline?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 03:33:41 AM »
Good questions! I will answer some :) it might be better to split up your questions and ask on an existing thread.
1) using your avios won't be getting you a great value for them, especially as a revenue will also earn you FF miles (don't know when you're flying, but if soon then United is also changing how many miles you'd get). especially true if it's just me convenient (ie direct flight) on revenue ticket
2) it's often better to book through an OTA than direct with an airline (Dan had a post about this recently regarding cancellation policies, but this way you can also "double dip" on the rewards you earn). You wouldn't have to pay them a FTF.

Offline DoB

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 09:11:46 PM »
Good questions! I will answer some :) it might be better to split up your questions and ask on an existing thread.
1) using your avios won't be getting you a great value for them, especially as a revenue will also earn you FF miles (don't know when you're flying, but if soon then United is also changing how many miles you'd get). especially true if it's just me convenient (ie direct flight) on revenue ticket
2) it's often better to book through an OTA than direct with an airline (Dan had a post about this recently regarding cancellation policies, but this way you can also "double dip" on the rewards you earn). You wouldn't have to pay them a FTF.

Thanks.

Good point on the FF miles.  Can I earn anything other than Skywards miles on Emirates?

And another good point on double dipping.

Offline Yaalili

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 157
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2015, 10:00:02 PM »
Thanks.

Good point on the FF miles.  Can I earn anything other than Skywards miles on Emirates?

And another good point on double dipping.

You can earn AS miles on EK.